follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 10-09-2020, 09:38 PM   #1
airrick

Drives: TRD R.S. 1.0 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Oil in the turbo inlet

Hello,

I have a works stage 2 turbo kit, i was checking on some stuff. I took off the intake piping and theres small pool of oil inside the turbo. Its very little oil. I did notice this before and i thought this was just oil from the intake since i dont have any catch cans yet. If its from the intake, wouldnt the piping have residual oil on the walls? I checked and no oil at all. I touched the compressor wheel and oily residue on it.

So this had me thinking theres something leaking in the turbo? Or is it my original thought and i need a catch can. I have no idea where its coming from. if anyone with some experience or expertise in the matter could help determine where this oil is from. Or tell me its normal and im worrying over nothing.

Thanks!
Attached Images

airrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:47 PM   #2
BlOody_BoOger

Drives: Hot lava FRS Monogram Charizard
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Probably from your crankcase hose.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
BlOody_BoOger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 02:57 AM   #3
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
I wouldn't worry about it, but I'll get that catch can put in.
Just keep an eye on it if there is more. Could be a little blow by from the ball bearing/shaft.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
airrick (10-10-2020), DarkPira7e (10-10-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 08:54 AM   #4
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
100% make sure you have a pcv side catch can. You shouldn't need one on your crankcase side, I vent that to atmosphere and haven't even seen vapor on that hose

It's a good catch- the last thing you want is oil vapor being mixed with the air spark and fuel; it'll bring your octane rating down if a significant enough amount of oil is present. It's definitely odd that the intake piping has nothing- is your CHRA clocked to be sure the oil drain is as straight down as an be?
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
airrick (10-10-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 09:36 AM   #5
airrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
100% make sure you have a pcv side catch can. You shouldn't need one on your crankcase side, I vent that to atmosphere and haven't even seen vapor on that hose

It's a good catch- the last thing you want is oil vapor being mixed with the air spark and fuel; it'll bring your octane rating down if a significant enough amount of oil is present. It's definitely odd that the intake piping has nothing- is your CHRA clocked to be sure the oil drain is as straight down as an be?
Yea seeing oil in there again and feeling the intake pipes with no oil sped up the timetable to get catch cans. I ordered radium dual catch cans.

On my CHRA, I have not done that but I got it used with like 500 miles on it. How would i know if i need that anyways? i guess this oil leaking right?

since i forgot to add this ill do it here. i suspect a small exhaust leak. Almost everytime i start up the car, the rpms rise for just a few second but is this a sign of an exhaust leak?

Last edited by airrick; 10-10-2020 at 09:39 AM. Reason: video
Old 10-10-2020, 09:39 AM   #6
BigTuna

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by airrick View Post
since i forgot to add this ill do it here. i suspect a small exhaust leak. Almost everytime i start up the car, the rpms rise from 1k to around 1.5k or higher for just a few second but is this a sign of an exhaust leak?
Is your A/C on?
Old 10-10-2020, 09:40 AM   #7
airrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTuna View Post
Is your A/C on?
nope.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:44 AM   #8
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Quote:
Yea seeing oil in there again and feeling the intake pipes with no oil sped up the timetable to get catch cans. I ordered radium dual catch cans.

On my CHRA, I have not done that but I got it used with like 500 miles on it. How would i know if i need that anyways? i guess this oil leaking right?

since i forgot to add this ill do it here. i suspect a small exhaust leak. Almost everytime i start up the car, the rpms rise from 1k to around 1.5k or higher for just a few second but is this a sign of an exhaust leak?
Ask the tuner if they did a "cold start delete". The MAF scaling (coolant temp based) without the cold start timing has this symptom.

If the oil drain isn't nearly completely straight down and the oil is failing to drain properly, it backs up and you'll smell it burning in the exhaust and it can appear where you're seeing oil.

I have the Radium pcv side catch can even when my car was stock and was catching some oil when I was doing autocross and hill climb with 20k miles on the car. With the turbo on my car it was catching quite a bit more (different engine, long story but the engine was a junkyard motor Toyota put in, likely had worn out rings)

Video edit: I don't think you have an exhaust leak
Old 10-10-2020, 09:58 AM   #9
airrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Ask the tuner if they did a "cold start delete". The MAF scaling (coolant temp based) without the cold start timing has this symptom.

If the oil drain isn't nearly completely straight down and the oil is failing to drain properly, it backs up and you'll smell it burning in the exhaust and it can appear where you're seeing oil.

I have the Radium pcv side catch can even when my car was stock and was catching some oil when I was doing autocross and hill climb with 20k miles on the car. With the turbo on my car it was catching quite a bit more (different engine, long story but the engine was a junkyard motor Toyota put in, likely had worn out rings)

Video edit: I don't think you have an exhaust leak
Okay ill check on that later today. So, just to be sure, I just need to make sure the oil drain tube is straight down correct? i remember being pretty straight down. maybe the hose was somewhat crooked? drain improperly? ill add a photo if i can find it.

Hmm i think my tuner did forget to add the cold start delete. The last tune i received was after i installed a front pipe thats why i thought it was an exhaust leak.

Thanks mate! =D
Attached Images

Last edited by airrick; 10-10-2020 at 10:03 AM. Reason: photo added.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:29 AM   #10
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Quote:
Okay ill check on that later today. So, just to be sure, I just need to make sure the oil drain tube is straight down correct? i remember being pretty straight down. maybe the hose was somewhat crooked? drain improperly? ill add a photo if i can find it.

Hmm i think my tuner did forget to add the cold start delete. The last tune i received was after i installed a front pipe thats why i thought it was an exhaust leak.

Thanks mate! =D

Your drain seems pretty spot on. With that setup, I really doubt oil draining is the problem. Depending on where you live and how your car is tuned, colder temperatures could be changing the startup. I wouldn't worry too much, just let your tuned know and send datalogs to them.

I'd just keep an eye out for more oil accumulation and see if it keeps happening; you could be fine and the oil could've just been from having been shipped to you with oil still being in the CHRA and it being flipped upside down from the previous owner