follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-28-2019, 08:47 AM   #1
rAySiiAnN

Drives: slow
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Plz help :( my car wont start after replacing ignition coil pack 😭😭😭😭😭

My car was throwing p0351 codes so i went to change the ignition coil. Afterwards i tried to start it n it started up for like 1 second n stalled out really hard lol im guessing cil 1 wont fire but idk why. i put back the old coil pack and still nothing. I tries to change the spark plugs but i got the wrong size socket, maybe touching the spark plug did something? I thought the issue was the coil pack not being bolted tight enough and fortunately i snapped the bolt might as well ask for help while i wait for my stripped bolt to be removed
rAySiiAnN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:31 AM   #2
Brz_racer

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Sounds like you got bigger issues, the spark plug is a 14mm deep well btw. Did you check the main fuse at the battery to see if you blew it?
Brz_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:33 AM   #3
celek
Resident Gear Head

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
what spark plugs did you put in?
Also there was a rash of bad engine harnesses related to coil pack problems in 2013-14
what year is your car?
Old 01-28-2019, 09:35 AM   #4
Brz_racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by celek View Post
It sounds like he never actually changed it
Old 01-28-2019, 09:36 AM   #5
celek
Resident Gear Head

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brz_racer View Post
It sounds like he never actually changed it
I see that he tried but not succeeded
Old 01-28-2019, 06:50 PM   #6
rAySiiAnN

Quote:
Sounds like you got bigger issues, the spark plug is a 14mm deep well btw. Did you check the main fuse at the battery to see if you blew it?
The main fuse seems to be ok. It was running fine until i took out the ignition coil
Old 01-28-2019, 06:51 PM   #7
rAySiiAnN

Quote:
Originally Posted by celek View Post
Also there was a rash of bad engine harnesses related to coil pack problems in 2013-14
what year is your car?
😭😭😭unfortunately 2013
Old 01-28-2019, 09:16 PM   #8
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rAySiiAnN View Post
My car was throwing p0351 codes so i went to change the ignition coil. Afterwards i tried to start it n it started up for like 1 second n stalled out really hard lol im guessing cil 1 wont fire but idk why. i put back the old coil pack and still nothing. I tries to change the spark plugs but i got the wrong size socket, maybe touching the spark plug did something? I thought the issue was the coil pack not being bolted tight enough and fortunately i snapped the bolt might as well ask for help while i wait for my stripped bolt to be removed
Welcome to our forum, there rAySiiAnN -

You do realize that each of the four spark plugs has its own coil (COP - Coil On Plug)? Now that we got that out of the way.

So, was the COP that you replaced the old one with, new and right for the car?

Did you get the spark plug out? If not, it's most likely still OK.

I get the "feeling" you need to get somebody on the ground there to help you out or take your car to a shop.

I hope you get er going.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:14 PM   #9
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Check all the ignition and efi fuses

Ie any fuse designated IGxxxx or EFIxxxx
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:43 AM   #10
Brz_racer

Just so you know, the car will run without one coil connected, dont ask me how I know this...that being said if the car wont start you most likely have a fuse issue somewhere, like was said above, check all the fuses, the ones in the cabin and under the hood, you will most likely find your issue there. When you say It wont start, does it even click when you turn the key? Also if you broke the bolt for the coil that is most likely the cause of your issue, that thing needs to be fully seated to work properly. If its even a little loose you will have problems.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:20 AM   #11
rAySiiAnN

Quote:
Just so you know, the car will run without one coil connected, dont ask me how I know this...that being said if the car wont start you most likely have a fuse issue somewhere, like was said above, check all the fuses, the ones in the cabin and under the hood, you will most likely find your issue there. When you say It wont start, does it even click when you turn the key? Also if you broke the bolt for the coil that is most likely the cause of your issue, that thing needs to be fully seated to work properly. If its even a little loose you will have problems.
It will start up normally but 2 seconds later when the rpms lower to idle (1kish) itll stall out and shake hard af �� when i give it gas itll "run" but really poorely and whenever im not pressing the gas itll spuffer n stall at idle :/ i was also thinking the problem originated because the coil pack A wasnt on tight enough which unfortunately lead to the broken bolt �� whenever i did tighten it more it seems to stall out less lol for now ive given up and had it towed to a shop i didnt check the ignition and efi fuses before they towed it but hopefully if it is just a fuse thanks for all the help everyone! Hoprfully itll be running again ��
Old 01-29-2019, 12:12 PM   #12
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
How has nobody suggested checking the grounding bolt on the DI ECU yet? That bolt is typically removed with the others that secure the DI ECU to the passenger's side fuel rail to gain access to the passenger's side coils and plugs. If you forget to reinstall the bottom bolt, which grounds the DI ECU to the block via a horizontal bracket, the engine won't run. Even if it's not tightened enough, it will cause issues and the engine may run terribly.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
dhuang (01-30-2019), ermax (01-30-2019), MCTeeJ (01-30-2019), Tcoat (01-30-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 01:43 PM   #13
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rAySiiAnN View Post
It will start up normally but 2 seconds later when the rpms lower to idle (1kish) itll stall out and shake hard af �� when i give it gas itll "run" but really poorely and whenever im not pressing the gas itll spuffer n stall at idle :/ i was also thinking the problem originated because the coil pack A wasnt on tight enough which unfortunately lead to the broken bolt �� whenever i did tighten it more it seems to stall out less lol for now ive given up and had it towed to a shop i didnt check the ignition and efi fuses before they towed it but hopefully if it is just a fuse thanks for all the help everyone! Hoprfully itll be running again ��

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:20 PM   #14
rAySiiAnN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
How has nobody suggested checking the grounding bolt on the DI ECU yet? That bolt is typically removed with the others that secure the DI ECU to the passenger's side fuel rail to gain access to the passenger's side coils and plugs. If you forget to reinstall the bottom bolt, which grounds the DI ECU to the block via a horizontal bracket, the engine won't run. Even if it's not tightened enough, it will cause issues and the engine may run terribly.
Oh my god....i feel so stupid, i had my car towed to a shop for no reason -_- . All the bolts were still off the ecu when i tried to start the car. Im gonna go to the shop tmr and ask to have that done im betting thats the culprit :/ thank you oh wise one ��
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rAySiiAnN For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (01-29-2019), humfrz (01-30-2019)