follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 09-17-2017, 06:38 AM   #407
Twinz

Drives: 2016 FR-S MT, 2015 Scion FR-S AT,
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I actually asked this question and was told it's "as-raced" weight.

Unlike treadwear ratings on tires, we don't have to take a manufacturer's word for weight. Not all manufacturer's have easily--available published wheel weights and some manufacturer's listed weights could be off a bit. There could be safety issues if the amount of ballast needed is too high. (Like making a 15lb wheel weigh 17lbs) But if balancing weights or an extra coat of paint and/or a spacer (that doesn't push your offset out of spec) get the as-raced weight to 17lbs, then I think it will work.

17lbs means you won't get an advantage by outspending your competition on exotic wheels. (At least I think that's the primary motivation for a minimum wheel weight)

*edit* using some old TPMS sensors instead of regular valve stems is also a safe way to add some ballast.

Last edited by Twinz; 09-17-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Twinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:08 PM   #408
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinz View Post
17lbs means you won't get an advantage by outspending your competition on exotic wheels. (At least I think that's the primary motivation for a minimum wheel weight)
imho if cost control was the only motivator they would lower the weights to include popular lighter options that do not break the bank, RPF1, 949 and Kosei typically offer reasonably priced wheels in sizes/weights ~16 lbs, a 15.5 lb limit would have been reasonable and not biased. Hell the OZ wheels TireRack sells are expensive but can look great so a lot of people will pay a bit extra and get the weight savings to boot, but can't run them in this class.

It's a $4k package, switching from TireRack wheels to RPF1's only increases the price by $240 for the full set for 1.5 lbs per corner weight savings. And there's plenty used floating around out there and cheaper vendors than TireRack on some options. If TireRack was able to offer more significant savings I could see the argument, but realistically they're saving people ~5% while taking a few very attractive options off the table.

When I hear 'exotic wheels' I think things that are like $2k+ per set and are several pounds lighter than the known reliable options, custom built wheels, old vintage wheels that may not be reliable but could offer 2 lbs of weight savings per corner like these:

http://starcityracing.com/Forums/sho...8-w-Advan-032R

or these:
http://counterspacegarage.com/produc...ss-silver.html

or these:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...02&postcount=4

All of these and more would have been disallowed via a 15.5 lb minimum weight. No it seems to me that this was a concession to improve TireRack's profit margin on the kit. Likely worth it as they probably wouldn't make much money without a few things like this (such as including the SPC toe arms which totally aren't necessary but do add to TR's bottom line). At the end of the day it's not a totally unreasonable rule, compromises have to be made, it just seems to be very much a regulation not for the racer, but for the vendor.

In any case it will be interesting to see how this is enforced. Minimum weight with spec tire? Approved list of wheels? Disallowed list? Time will tell.

Edit: goddamnit taking another thread offtopic this is DS
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:53 PM   #409
tony_r

Drives: '15 STX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
No it seems to me that this was a concession to improve TireRack's profit margin on the kit.
Well, yeah of course. Otherwise TR likely wouldn't have backed selling the package. What you might be able to do is get some really heavy centering rings to up the weight of the "as-raced" wheel. I bet if you talk to Emilio and tell him the story with this SSC thing, he'd be totally willing to try get his wheel to spec. Hell, I might just do that.

Anyway, resume DS discussion.
tony_r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tony_r For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 05:30 PM   #410
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
There's nothing wrong with it, just don't pretend it's for some noble reason. It was a business deal.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:41 PM   #411
Biggins

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
So, how many people are staying/going to DS in 2017?
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:07 PM   #412
edj

Drives: 2022 Toyota GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
i am unlikely to be running in DS next year. not sure where yet though.
if somebody wants to buy my MCS singles adjustable shocks that will help
with my decision!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edj For This Useful Post:
Biggins (09-19-2017), Shark_Bait88 (09-19-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 09:20 PM   #413
ApexEight

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT SSM
DS guys,

How are your stock diff and subframe bushings fairing after hard driving?

I like that the more heavily prepped classes allow the polyurethane Whiteline diff and subframe inserts. I feel like these parts would increase the longevity of the stock bushings, which would be a major pain to replace if they tear. I'm thinking DS is what I want compete in though...

Thoughts?
ApexEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:35 PM   #414
Locust
Custom User Title

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S, 2012 OB Evo X MR
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Locust
FYI Tire Rack lists their OZ Ultraleggera in black at exactly 17lbs. This is, IMO, the wheel they were targeting.

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...5&autoModClar=

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:
DSGPerformance Drift Office Evil Apex Racing

Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:46 PM   #415
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexEight View Post
DS guys,

How are your stock diff and subframe bushings fairing after hard driving?

I like that the more heavily prepped classes allow the polyurethane Whiteline diff and subframe inserts. I feel like these parts would increase the longevity of the stock bushings, which would be a major pain to replace if they tear. I'm thinking DS is what I want compete in though...

Thoughts?
Mine were in very good shape at 58k miles when I installed the inserts. With STX suspension, everything is stiff enough to where subframe movement becomes a significant portion of total suspension movement, which is the only reason I installed them. Otherwise, they didn't seem like an item of concern. I wouldn't worry.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to renfield90 For This Useful Post:
ApexEight (09-18-2017), strat61caster (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 10:05 AM   #416
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I'm still debating the switch, waiting for all the info to be finalized.
@edj if you wanna sell them for a REALLY good deal, I'd be happy to take them off your hands.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:33 AM   #417
Biggins

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I'm staying in CS, but my plan is to buy a set of MCS next year, it's just a terrible time of the year for me to lay down cash for anything car-related.

No issues with the bushings after 5+ years of autocross with a few ProSolos in there and no plans to replace with an aftermarket version... I'll replace with OEM if I ever see the need to replace. I have not heard bushings raised as an issue in the Street classes. I have had to replace/re-lube my sway bar bushings once every year or two.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:52 AM   #418
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Yeah, the main thing swinging me toward staying in DS is the wedding I'm supposed to be saving for.

There are two factors that might tip me to SSC though:

1) A more DD friendly spec tire than RE-71Rs. This would mean I could downsize from 3 sets (DD, winter, and autox/track) to just two sets (DD/autox/track and winter). Which would probably result in me selling my tire trailer and downsizing my storage unit too. The savings there would offset the costs of SSC prep enough to make it worthwhile.

2) An oil cooler allowance. This would make the class a LOT more attractive for those of us who dodge cones and play on road courses. At this point it's not necessary enough for me to make the jump to STX. But if the decision for me was between DS w/o an oil cooler or SSC w/ oil cooler, the decision would be pretty easy.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:17 PM   #419
G_Ride

Drives: Some kind of Subaru
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
I'm staying in CS, but my plan is to buy a set of MCS next year, it's just a terrible time of the year for me to lay down cash for anything car-related.

No issues with the bushings after 5+ years of autocross with a few ProSolos in there and no plans to replace with an aftermarket version... I'll replace with OEM if I ever see the need to replace. I have not heard bushings raised as an issue in the Street classes. I have had to replace/re-lube my sway bar bushings once every year or two.
I may know someone selling Street legal MCS two-way non-remotes in the near future....@Jawnathin
G_Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to G_Ride For This Useful Post:
Jawnathin (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 02:25 PM   #420
Twinz

Drives: 2016 FR-S MT, 2015 Scion FR-S AT,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
FYI Tire Rack lists their OZ Ultraleggera in black at exactly 17lbs. This is, IMO, the wheel they were targeting.

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...5&autoModClar=
48mm offset will limit strut clearance/camber so that wheel will need spacers and extended studs. Mechanic types may not mind but I don't want to fool with that stuff if I don't have to. I would take a heavier wheel with a 40mm offset.
Twinz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Twinz For This Useful Post:
TrqlessWonder (09-19-2017)