follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 02-17-2023, 10:56 AM   #4775
Chamaco

Drives: Silver FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hi guys,

quick question... have any of you taken out the DI injectors for service with the SC still installed? I want to take mine out to send them to CSG for the cleaning service and looking around under the SC it appears to have plenty of space to take them out without the need of pulling the SC.

Thanks!
Chamaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 11:32 AM   #4776
B T

Drives: 15 BRZ, 2003 MR2, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamaco View Post
quick question... have any of you taken out the DI injectors for service with the SC still installed? I want to take mine out to send them to CSG for the cleaning service and looking around under the SC it appears to have plenty of space to take them out without the need of pulling the SC.
I don't personally see any way you could remove them without removing the supercharger, but who knows. I would bet doing it with the supercharger on would be orders of magnitude more difficult than just removing the unit.
Old 02-21-2023, 11:14 AM   #4777
Brewster

Drives: 13 FRS AT, Edelbrock SC, Tomei EL
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamaco View Post
Hi guys,

Thanks!
Having re/re'd the D.I's, I agree with BT. You'd want the best access to the fuel rails, lines, etc. to ensure proper fitment when reinstalling. Nothing like springing a leak and having to take it all apart again !
Old 02-26-2023, 04:05 PM   #4778
FrickingReallySlow

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Forester /Sandwich oil cooler

Anyone installed the sandwich/forester XT Oil cooler with their Edelbrock SC already on? Are there any gotachas I need to be aware of?

On the surface it looks trivial, uninstall the airbox/intake to the TB and change out the radiator hoses to the TB and snake the longer ones going to Oil cooler. Maybe the SC belts get close to the new heater hoses and can cause a leak? Thanks for any input
FrickingReallySlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 02:24 PM   #4779
Brewster

Drives: 13 FRS AT, Edelbrock SC, Tomei EL
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrickingReallySlow View Post
Anyone installed the sandwich/forester XT Oil cooler with their Edelbrock SC already on? Are there any gotachas I need to be aware of?

On the surface it looks trivial, uninstall the airbox/intake to the TB and change out the radiator hoses to the TB and snake the longer ones going to Oil cooler. Maybe the SC belts get close to the new heater hoses and can cause a leak? Thanks for any input
I installed the Cusco version 2 unit, that uses the same type sandwich plate, but takes cooled water from the radiator and returns it to the rad inlet hose...besides the time to drop the belly pan, no problems.
Old 03-03-2023, 09:27 PM   #4780
StevetS

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Unhappy She was running, and now is not. 😭

Hey everyone, long time lurker, but this is my first post. I just finished installing the Edelbrock supercharger onto my FRS. I’m going to do 700 cc injectors, as well as an upgraded fuel pump and then get a tune to top it all off, but during my supercharger installation, I decided to put the fuel injectors in, since I knew I was going to be getting a tune in the near future. I didn’t think this was going to affect the car all that much, I was under the impression that the ECU would manage the fuel and I was extremely wrong. On my first test drive the car was stalling constantly if I let the engine idle. So on my short drive home I was trying to keep it above at least 2000 RPMs. I should note that before I took it for a test drive it was idling completely fine.

I decided to put the stock injectors back in until I can go get a tune however, after swapping them out now the car will not start at all. When I swapped the stock injectors in, I pulled the fuel pump fuse, and let the car run until it died to take the pressure out of the lines, but the fuse is back in its place now.

I have already pulled the negative off the battery to try to reset the ECU and that did nothing.

Does anybody have any ideas about this? This is the Edelbrock with the tune.

Attached Images

StevetS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StevetS For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (03-10-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 09:52 PM   #4781
dpfarr

Drives: BRZ ts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Check your fuel pressure on the ecutek app.
dpfarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 11:44 PM   #4782
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,067 Times in 775 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
that was a very bad idea if the tune was set around stock injectors, which are 4 times smaller than those
I m even amazed it started with them but surely you flooded it with fuel at startup, this car cranks with port injectors only then it gives also a kick with Direct injectors to really start it up
Check all grounds and brackets are tight and maybe log a startup with ecutek on your computer so we can see what s happening

fuel pressure for port injectors is not monitored, only high pressure DI fuel is
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (03-10-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 02:47 PM   #4783
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Drives: Edelbrock Equipped - Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,682 Times in 581 Posts
Mentioned: 403 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevetS View Post
Hey everyone, long time lurker, but this is my first post. I just finished installing the Edelbrock supercharger onto my FRS. I’m going to do 700 cc injectors, as well as an upgraded fuel pump and then get a tune to top it all off, but during my supercharger installation, I decided to put the fuel injectors in, since I knew I was going to be getting a tune in the near future. I didn’t think this was going to affect the car all that much, I was under the impression that the ECU would manage the fuel and I was extremely wrong. On my first test drive the car was stalling constantly if I let the engine idle. So on my short drive home I was trying to keep it above at least 2000 RPMs. I should note that before I took it for a test drive it was idling completely fine.

I decided to put the stock injectors back in until I can go get a tune however, after swapping them out now the car will not start at all. When I swapped the stock injectors in, I pulled the fuel pump fuse, and let the car run until it died to take the pressure out of the lines, but the fuse is back in its place now.

I have already pulled the negative off the battery to try to reset the ECU and that did nothing.

Does anybody have any ideas about this? This is the Edelbrock with the tune.

Check the fuel control module and make sure it is grounded well.
Check the fuel control module harness is plugged in securely, no bent pins either.
Check the MAF sensor and make sure it is clean, and plugged in.
Check the MAP sensor and make sure it is secure and plugged in.
Are there any check engine lights? If so, what are they?
DeliciousTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (03-10-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 11:56 AM   #4784
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevetS View Post
Hey everyone,
As others have said, there is no way the ECU knows what injectors you have, and it doesn't do fuel correction enough to limit injector duration to compensate for large injectors, which is why you need a tune.

You say the car doesn't start at all, but you didn't say how. Does it just click? Does it just crank, but there is no hiccups like it wants to start, but could be flooded? What specifically is happening?

You put the fuel pump fuse back, but can you hear the fuel pump turn on?

The cylinder could just be flooded, so maybe give it some time. Also, make sure there are no fuel leaks.

Make sure the fuel control module on the side of the engine is plugged in and bolted with all screws in place. This is how the module is grounded, and it will cause the car to not start until it is bolted in.
Old 03-15-2023, 11:17 AM   #4785
StevetS

Tune shop wants to charge me an additional $350 to finish the tune.

Hey, thank you for the replies to my previous post about the car not starting. I put the larger injectors back in, and got it to the tune shop which is just down the road.

I have a new issue and I'm looking for thoughts.

I just installed an Edelbrock supercharger on my 2013 FRS. I also added DeatschWerks 700cc injectors and a DeatschWerks DW300C fuel pump. I'll try to keep this short but I wanted some opinions.

Took my car to the tune shop last Thursday evening March 9th. I talked to the owner, he had me text him all the mods added to the car for the tune. I sent him the injector and fuel pump part numbers as well as the map sensor part number. He told me they had never done an Edelbrock supercharger but they had done HKS and another one as well. I left the car in the shop over night and it was there all day the next day on Friday as well. I returned to the tune shop that Friday at 5PM for my appointment.

I agreed to pay 450 for the EcuTek license and 600 for the tune. When I got there they had the car on the dyno but were looking for the offset numbers for the Bosch 2.5 bar map sensor (part number 0 261 230 042) that was on the supercharger. They couldn't find the offset and voltage numbers so the ecu wasn't feeding proper fuel into the system. All 3 of us searched for this info online for several hours.

Nobody was able to find the info the tuner needed, but since it was now about 8PM on a Friday night, there was nobody to call either to find this information, whether it be Bosch or EcuTek. So the tuner had to but a rough but basic map on the car so I could drive it home at least but it is in desperate need of a finished tune.

The owner is asking for another 350 dollars for a retune. At first I was thinking sure sounds good, I just want my car to run. But today I started to realize, they had the car for nearly 24 hours, had the part numbers, had the information and nobody confirmed they had the right information to complete the tune while it was there. If the owner knew he hadn't tuned an Edelbrock SC before but never bothered to acquire the correct information about the setup, I'm not sure why it's my responsibility to pay them more because they couldn't find the information they needed.

This is my first time getting a car tuned so I'm very new to this, but I just think it's bad business to charge a customer more even though you never confirmed you had the data when you had the chance to. Thoughts about this?

PS, does anyone have the offset and voltage numbers for that map sensor? They want me to get a Bosch 3 or 4 bar sensor because they actually have the numbers for those ones, just not the 2.5. I attached a picture of what I saw up on his phone at one point from the ecutek website. Seems like he's looking for info like that.

As of right now I haven't paid him anything, his system was down on Friday and when I sent him a message I was ready to pay him, he never responded.
Attached Images

Last edited by StevetS; 03-15-2023 at 11:24 AM. Reason: spelling issue with paid vs pay.
Old 03-15-2023, 03:01 PM   #4786
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,067 Times in 775 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
have you tried with omni 2.5 bar values?
Multiplier 0.5
offset 0.1
max voltage 5
min voltage 0.01

450 usd for ecutek sounds a bit of a scam, huge markup on that.. and then 600 usd for a crappy unfinished tune.. and they want more money to actually finish ????
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
Teseo (03-25-2023)
Old 03-15-2023, 03:52 PM   #4787
StevetS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
have you tried with omni 2.5 bar values?
Multiplier 0.5
offset 0.1
max voltage 5
min voltage 0.01

450 usd for ecutek sounds a bit of a scam, huge markup on that.. and then 600 usd for a crappy unfinished tune.. and they want more money to actually finish ????
I doubt they tried anything useful, since when I left the car was running nearly as bad as when I got there with it completely untuned.

We talked to the shop today and it sounds like they're starting to admit fault on the tune being unfinished and not charging the extra. It does seem like this is fairly on par with typical pricing at other shops here in Orlando, FL.
Old 03-15-2023, 09:12 PM   #4788
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
@StevetS

The information is not available online, because it is (what should be) common knowledge for tuners.

You could have, also, just called Edelbrock for that info.

You can't just replace the MAP on the Edelbrock kit, because it's a TMAP.

Have you considered using a different tuner that has substantial first-hand experience with the kit?
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote