follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-16-2014, 12:52 PM   #29
Imrac

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Prem
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzzz View Post
How many cats does our car have? And how many can we get away with on a stock tune to not have a CEL? I would get a tune but I don't want my cel on when I go in for warranty work.
Our cars have two cats, one attached to the exhaust manifold and one in the front pipe.

The one in the front pipe can be removed without a CEL as there is no down stream sensor to monitor it. If you replace your headers with a catless version, you will get a CEL with a stock tune. I have heard the defoulers work OK for getting around that.

Right now I am on a stock tune with headers and get a CEL almost once a day. (50 mile commute.) I just clear it with torque app.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:55 PM   #30
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by troek View Post
if your gona spew all that, you had better ride a bicycle to any destination under 20 miles away, or your a lazy hypocrite. and on top of that, it should be a used bicycle because creating a new one takes energy that runs on fossil fuels. but chances are you dont. if you add up all the engineering and manufacturing that goes in to a car, then bring in the insane amount of damage oil rigs and refineries do, just to get a car to move its insane. then the average person uses all that to move the lazy sack of shit that is the modern human a few miles across town.
lol chances are I do actually - I walk to the train station more than I drive my FR-S.... and commute via electric train to NYC... which uses electricity from a nuclear power plant I guess the point I was trying to make is - the mentality needs to start going the other direction. I'm not spewing anything, no need to be so defensive. Kumbaya
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bfrank1972 For This Useful Post:
Colpup (06-22-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 09:13 PM   #31
troek

Drives: 2012 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Garage
Haha touche.
troek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:38 PM   #32
SubieNate

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Running full catless is douchey and pointless on anything but a track only racecar.

Ask anyone who lived in LA in the 60s and 70s if cats are a good thing.

Cheers
Nathan
SubieNate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SubieNate For This Useful Post:
Colpup (06-22-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 05:46 PM   #33
FAER
Banned

Drives: Silver BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
Well its not exactly a scam, and its now called global climate change, and yes it is exacerbated by human presence. They just released a study about it recently and it doesn't look good, not to mention the study itself was 'optomistic' because of information withheld. Yeah auto emissions isn't the biggest offender, and it won't bother you or me today, but its my kids who will have to deal with the socioeconomic impact of climate change in 20 years. So please do me a personal favor and not f-up my kids' future environment, they have enough crap to inherit as it is.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk
"Releasing a study" doesn't quantify and amount of proven fact.

if you're truly worried about your kids find a new planet... Geneticly modified foods, big pharma medicines, chemicals in everything... its not "global climate change" i'd worry about...

Just try finding a peanut butter with the ingredient "peanuts."

If you don't already realize its next to impossible to find and if you do its Genetically modified peanuts ground for the PB.

So inclosing, screw your concerns because big government and nuclear technology is doing and will do more harm than any catless car
FAER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:31 PM   #34
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAER View Post
"Releasing a study" doesn't quantify and amount of proven fact.

if you're truly worried about your kids find a new planet... Geneticly modified foods, big pharma medicines, chemicals in everything... its not "global climate change" i'd worry about...

Just try finding a peanut butter with the ingredient "peanuts."

If you don't already realize its next to impossible to find and if you do its Genetically modified peanuts ground for the PB.

So inclosing, screw your concerns because big government and nuclear technology is doing and will do more harm than any catless car
Uh. OK. Peanut butter. Fear (or is it faer) peanut butter. Dont see how that relates to individuals choosing to break the law and pollute the air, but thanks for your wisdom!

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:54 PM   #35
StormTrooper

Drives: Pavement MT GR86
Garage
My lawn mower is catless.... So is my weedeater and any bike you find for sale.

Also they changed "global warming" to climate change because they had lost the debate. Now anything abnormal is our fault.

Look at the "fix" taxes and regulations which will never solve any problem. It's about control.

No point except price to not run one cat though. It won't help performance. No need to have two either though.
Basket Case (04-20-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 11:53 PM   #36
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
God you guys are making my head hurt...

Reasons to run catless:
- You're cheap
- You're running leaded gas

High flow cat vs a straight pipe is within the statistical noise of a dyno.

Also, it's not about global warming or anything like that, NOX is a serious health risk to your local community. I dunno about you, but I like breathing.

Not to mention you guys are comparing it at idle vs actually driving the car (idle is lean, WOT is rich, hope that person behind you doesn't have their windows down on their eyes are going to be burning).

Comparing it to a diesel is a bit dumb too. Diesel exhaust LOOKS polluting, but it's mostly soot and doesn't have the same health issues.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Poodles For This Useful Post:
Colpup (06-22-2014)
Old 04-20-2014, 08:14 AM   #37
Basket Case

Drives: 2013 Raven fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have had plenty of full catless cars. Never noticed any smell from them. Anyone ride motorcycles? The vast majority if them have no cats...
Basket Case is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:55 AM   #38
Gilwith1l

Drives: stock brz. saving my money for ls1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
God you guys are making my head hurt...

Reasons to run catless:
- You're cheap
- You're running leaded gas

High flow cat vs a straight pipe is within the statistical noise of a dyno.

Also, it's not about global warming or anything like that, NOX is a serious health risk to your local community. I dunno about you, but I like breathing.

Not to mention you guys are comparing it at idle vs actually driving the car (idle is lean, WOT is rich, hope that person behind you doesn't have their windows down on their eyes are going to be burning).

Comparing it to a diesel is a bit dumb too. Diesel exhaust LOOKS polluting, but it's mostly soot and doesn't have the same health issues.
The new diesel trucks actually exhaust cleaner air than the air its ingesting here in new jersey
Gilwith1l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:09 AM   #39
Basket Case

Drives: 2013 Raven fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by troek View Post
if your gona spew all that, you had better ride a bicycle to any destination under 20 miles away, or your a lazy hypocrite. and on top of that, it should be a used bicycle because creating a new one takes energy that runs on fossil fuels. but chances are you dont. if you add up all the engineering and manufacturing that goes in to a car, then bring in the insane amount of damage oil rigs and refineries do, just to get a car to move its insane. then the average person uses all that to move the lazy sack of shit that is the modern human a few miles across town.
When will you be joining al gore on the hunt for manbearpig?...
Basket Case is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:26 AM   #40
troek

Drives: 2012 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Garage
haha, never. i never claimed to care about the environment enough preach against running catless. the point i was trying to make was, that thinking that taking a cat on or off your car is going to affect anything is like thinking its a good bet to order a diet coke at mcdonalds.
troek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troek For This Useful Post:
Basket Case (04-21-2014)