follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-18-2014, 05:38 PM   #1
giorgi0424

Drives: '14 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
so...what can i do. i'm not satisfied with my brz

i bought my brz about 3 weeks ago, supposedly brand new with just 12 miles on it. I bought it knowing there was a small chip in the paint on the front bumper.

2 weeks later I find a ding that's on the driver's side front fender, and just today, I see that the clearcoat and paint is spider-webbing next to the subaru emblem on the front bumper, above where the paint chip is, convincing me that the car was bumped into something.

Is it just me, or would all of you be extremely unsatisfied with being sold a brand new car that's in this state? Do I have a legit argument to want a replacement BRZ, or trade for another car of my liking from the dealership?

Correct me if I"m wrong, but spiderwebbing isn't reparable with just touch up paint. They have to be legit repainted, and I'm sorry, but I don't want my brand new car to have resprayed bodypanels for things I didn't inflict.

What do you guys think?
giorgi0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:41 PM   #2
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If its brand brand new, its possible you can get warrant paint done. go to the body shop at your dealership and ask, try to involve your sales guy if you can.
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chimera For This Useful Post:
suaveflooder (06-18-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 05:42 PM   #3
suaveflooder

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Yup. If it was sold as "new" time to call the dealer.
suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
Danklvr

Drives: 2014 FR-S 6MT Argento
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Danklvr
you can take your argument to the selling dealer, and tell them that all these little things were not disclosed to you at the time of purchase.. they must re-paint the car.

will they give you a new brz in trade for your old one... no they will not, your brz is now technically "used". they should make the needed repairs though without too much of a fuss.

How ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm once they've seen Karl Hungus?
Danklvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:47 PM   #5
giorgi0424

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danklvr View Post
you can take your argument to the selling dealer, and tell them that all these little things were not disclosed to you at the time of purchase.. they must re-paint the car.

will they give you a new brz in trade for your old one... no they will not, your brz is now technically "used". they should make the needed repairs though without too much of a fuss.
but that's so stupid, I don't want my brz to have paintwork and repsrayed bumper when i bought it brand new for things I didnt cause. So frustrating :/

I will still try to get them to give me a new one that's actually in new condition.

the paint chip was disclosed, the dent wasn't, and the spider-webbing wasn't because I doubt they knew. But it's there now, and I bet it is directly related to the chipped paint. Based off it's condition, it sounds like I bought a used car, not a new one
Old 06-18-2014, 05:47 PM   #6
giorgi0424

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by suaveflooder View Post
Yup. If it was sold as "new" time to call the dealer.
it absolutely was
Old 06-18-2014, 05:48 PM   #7
Danklvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
If its brand brand new, its possible you can get warrant paint done. go to the body shop at your dealership and ask, try to involve your sales guy if you can.
trying to get the paint warrantied will most likely result in FAIL. there is no manufacturer's defect with the paint, the defects happened because the car was bumped, not the paints fault, but IMO "bumping" is the DEALER'S Fault.

OP now has to prove that the chips and spiderwebbing were there when he bought the car, and didnt happen after the fact, lets say... in a parking lot or gas station while vehicle was left unattended.

OP - if i were you, i would put in a call to Subaru Of America, and talk to the customer satisfaction dept, along with talking to your dealers service manager, general manager, and sales person.

Be professional, be courteous, don't be a **** hole yelling and screaming...
You catch more flies with honey...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Danklvr For This Useful Post:
8R6 (06-18-2014), Braces (06-18-2014), Lonewolf (06-18-2014), Pseud0logik (06-19-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 05:51 PM   #8
giorgi0424

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danklvr View Post
trying to get the paint warrantied will most likely result in FAIL. there is no manufacturer's defect with the paint, the defects happened because the car was bumped, not the paints fault, but IMO "bumping" is the DEALER'S Fault.

OP now has to prove that the chips and spiderwebbing were there when he bought the car, and didnt happen after the fact, lets say... in a parking lot or gas station while vehicle was left unattended.

OP - if i were you, i would put in a call to Subaru Of America, and talk to the customer satisfaction dept, along with talking to your dealers service manager, general manager, and sales person.

Be professional, be courteous, don't be a **** hole yelling and screaming...
You catch more flies with honey...
good points, and thanks for your input. it's funny becasue I bought this car through the General Manager of the dealership basically. I work at a jag dealership, and one of my bosses is best friends of the owner of the subaru dealership. So the GM of that subaru dealership was told to treat me like VIP and hook me up with a great deal. I bought said BRZ limited for 26,4, with sticker price of 29,130, but now wish I hadn't because it has these small defects which are really irritating. It's my first brand new car, and I didn't want to have the same headaches as my 5 previous used cars I've had. I baby the crap out of my cars
Old 06-18-2014, 05:52 PM   #9
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
No offense, but you've had it for 3 weeks and you're just now noticing this stuff? My only question would be is this really the dealer's fault, or did it get bumped somewhere you parked it? They will probably argue that. Are you sure it was sold to you that way and that didn't happen while you owned it?
Old 06-18-2014, 05:55 PM   #10
Danklvr

OP - good luck, let us know how it comes out, we all want to see pics of your new baby repaired and 100% showroom quality!

Old 06-18-2014, 05:56 PM   #11
giorgi0424

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
No offense, but you've had it for 3 weeks and you're just now noticing this stuff? My only question would be is this really the dealer's fault, or did it get bumped somewhere you parked it? They will probably argue that. Are you sure it was sold to you that way and that didn't happen while you owned it?
that paint chip was there the first day because like I said i pointed it out before buying and they said they'd touch it up real quick, which they did, and they also agreed i could bring it in on a later date and have it "professionally touched up". the spiderwebbing is 2 or so inches above it.

The spiderwebbing MAY have not been there, but we have had very hot weather recently, and my car has seen sun (obviously). I KNOW for a fact no one has bumped it. there is no other new damage anywhere, and the spiderwebbing may have been brought out by the heat. But I think it's safe to say the spiderwebbing is directly related to the chipped paint, most likely caused from stress on the bumper

P.S, the car is satin white pearl, making these things harder to notice. that ding on the fender was also there since day one, but I never saw it when buying, and it wasn't disclosed. I had brought that up with them a week ago, and they said they'd pull it for no charge. but a resprayed bumper.....eh....that somehow just doesn't sit well with me
The Following User Says Thank You to giorgi0424 For This Useful Post:
Nevermore (06-18-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 05:56 PM   #12
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,478 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
@Nevermore is right, a lot can happen in 3 weeks, it's a bit late to take it back to the dealer imo. Best of luck though.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67907
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Nevermore (06-18-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 05:59 PM   #13
Chimera

they have to prove you did it, not the other way around. I think you have a case, I'd talk to them. calmly. before escalating to corporate, but that's just me
Old 06-18-2014, 06:01 PM   #14
Chimera

as for a respray, I just got mine done (firestorm) because of large road debris damage to the front. (now eagerly awaiting curing so I can do paint protection film)
I'm pretty happy with it.

Tags
brz, damage, issues, paint