follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 10-29-2020, 04:22 AM   #15
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by holeeray View Post
I'm considering the Arctic 12s. Any particular issues driving in the level of snow you have in that photo? It'll rarely snow like that around me, but we do get the occasional winter storm.
Handled that much and more with no issues.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:47 PM   #16
wolffbite
Just the tip

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have Nokian WRG3's that I throw on for winter. If you plan on getting 1 set of tires for year round they will be fine for a Vancouver climate. They are an extremely popular option here. Keep in mind they are just OK in all conditions, they don't really excel in any area and are definitely not a performance tire. They are comparable in grip to the stock tires in the summer, but I'm quite disappointed in their wet weather grip... but I'm also used to the excellent wet weather grip from my summer tires (Michelin PS4S).

These may work well for other cars, but I can't really recommend them for the twins. I will be switching the nokians for proper winter tires once they wear out.
wolffbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 01:53 PM   #17
Canuck

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've actually been looking at reviews of the Nokian WR A4 winter tire which the WR G4 is based, and it performed poorly in the wet compared to other performance winters. I know that the compounds are different but for all weather tires it seems like Vredestein does wet weather well. May look at those once I make it out west.

For now though, going to get a set of winters. Current shortlist is:

1. Continental WinterContact SI Plus ($170 on sale)
2. General Arctic 12 ($160)
3. Nexen Winguard Sport 2 ($120)

Thanks for all the feedback!
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 05:45 AM   #18
sygfrid
FT8Syg

Drives: `12 FRS & `17 BRZ Inazuma
Garage
Welcome soon to Vancouver!

I used to have 225/45/17 WRG3's on my FRS & I still have them on on my Grand Caravan. I'd tried them on ice & snow when we had a snowgeddon a few years ago & they held up quite well & never did I get stuck on ice or deep snow. When it was on my FRS, they would slide a little bit on ice & slush if I had put too much throttle but it's a controllable one. On wet, it'll fish tail a bit if you intentionally when I'd turn bit hard for fun at the intersection but it was still a controllable drift. Generally, you'll survive the Vancouver terrain in the winter with it & you can even take it on plowed canyons.

I think there's already WRG5 or 6. I've seen the reviews of WRG4 in 2019 & it seems that it's not as great as WRG3. Nevertheless, I suspect it'll still perform well in the Vancouver weather.

Now, I have dedicated summers (PS 4S) & winters (Michelin Alpin PA4) since 2019. The grip of the Alpin PA4 is phenomenal be it in the wet, snow, & ice & I've taken it to snowy hills without any problem. The UHP APA4's meant for sport cars hence the great grip. I've just driven from the canyons of Vancouver-Osooyoos-Kelowna last weekend in the freezing rain & the grip even at highway speeds (120+kph) was really there. I got the PA4 at CAD1,400 at 225/40/18 from 1010 Tires & used the installment of AFFIRM. Canadian Tire has 24 mos. installment at 0% for purchases above CAD150 if you have the Triangle Card that has 0 annual fees.

If you'll have problems with storage, Nokian's WRG's are great All-Weathers. But if you're looking at dedicated winters, check out the Michelin Alpin's too. It pays to have chains as backup as well especially if you'll be in the more icey-prone areas of GVA.

IMO, never go cheap on tires as you're investing on safety. It's an insurance that's cheaper than property damage or even personal injury. Always buy a newer set (less than a year production date).

I'm guessing you've been watching Tyrereviews.co.Uk. Perhaps by now they new tire models of Nokian & Michelin for 2020 that they have reviewed.
Modding for daily fun & efficiency: Gruppe-S UEL, HKS dual res. FP, STi Per. Muffler, Delicious T. Ecutek tune, Crawford BPB, Grimmspeed CAI, STi Flex T. Bar, TRD Door Stabilizer, DSS aluminum propeller shaft, Verus diffuser & underbody covers, Verus LCA, Perrin bushings, Bilstein B6+RCE Yellows, Michelin PS4S + 18" WedsSport TC105X-summer, Michelin Alpin PA4 +18" Motegi MR140-winter

Last edited by sygfrid; 11-04-2020 at 05:58 AM.
sygfrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 09:35 PM   #19
SCFD

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'm currently on Nexen Winguard Sport 2 winter tires but I'm not sure how they perform since I also just picked up my BRZ. I must say these Nexens definitely seem like a "high performance" winter tire as the sidewalls feel much stiffer than I had expected.

I think winters would be a must for Ontario. Even though you'll be moving out West, I'd probably stick to winters then decide if it's okay to switch to all weathers after a few seasons in Vancouver.
SCFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 12:31 PM   #20
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Arctic 12 is good, a decent improvement over the previous version
But you will still roll them over and/or melt them with "spirited" driving on dry roads

You will have to learn to drive within the limits of the tire. IMO the trade off is worth it, not everyone feels that way. All I can say is they are okay straight line at their speed rating, not great in turns. Braking is mediocre, adapt.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:41 PM   #21
Canuck

Thanks for all the advice from everyone, I have the Generals on order!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCFD View Post
I'm currently on Nexen Winguard Sport 2 winter tires but I'm not sure how they perform since I also just picked up my BRZ. I must say these Nexens definitely seem like a "high performance" winter tire as the sidewalls feel much stiffer than I had expected.

I'm thinking I might pick these up once I get out west.
The Following User Says Thank You to Canuck For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-11-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 06:22 PM   #22
guitarman

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
I'm 20 miles west of Vancouver and I went with the Michelin PS3+ AS tires from Costco (if I do have any tire trouble I like the idea of strolling in to any Costco in Canada and US for warranty service).

They are terrific in heavy rain and pretty good in summer sun (i'm not tracking my car), BUT
I don't plan to use them if it actually snows. :-)

I'll keep my FRS in the garage on that day -- since no brand of tire would save my baby from getting sideswiped by a Mini-van or SUV driven by a soccer mom with a mail-order driver's license. (And believe me, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about after driving a little while in Vancouver!)

YMMV
guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 09:21 PM   #23
Canuck

Thanks everyone for the advice, so far the Generals have been awesome.