follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-30-2020, 09:58 PM   #15
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Never mind the sound you hear when stopped. You are listening extra hard and have now noticed what's called neutral rollover, or something like that. It's the clatter of all your gears rotating freely but also getting kicked by the pulses of the engine at idle.

One thing about fifth is that the transmission isn't actually doing anything. It's a straight shaft from the front to the back. That you don't hear anything on acceleration means that it's not in the transmission. It is odd only hearing it during engine braking. Is the driveshaft rubbing on something?

edit: nah. that's not driveshaft rubbing. Diff mount blown out?
Old 10-31-2020, 07:36 AM   #16
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
5th is straight? Not 4th (for which reason usually used in dyno runs)? I thought that both 5th & 6th on ours were overdrive?
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 01:34 PM   #17
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
I thought that both 5th & 6th on ours were overdrive?
They are for the automatic.
Old 11-01-2020, 04:10 AM   #18
ALWYZBZ

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Never mind the sound you hear when stopped. You are listening extra hard and have now noticed what's called neutral rollover, or something like that. It's the clatter of all your gears rotating freely but also getting kicked by the pulses of the engine at idle.

One thing about fifth is that the transmission isn't actually doing anything. It's a straight shaft from the front to the back. That you don't hear anything on acceleration means that it's not in the transmission. It is odd only hearing it during engine braking. Is the driveshaft rubbing on something?

edit: nah. that's not driveshaft rubbing. Diff mount blown out?
Spot on. It’s only during decel and no sounds on accelerating. I checked the middle trans mount bolt and Recentered after reading another thread. It seemed to have helped some but the sound is still present
ALWYZBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 12:44 PM   #19
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALWYZBZ View Post
Spot on. It’s only during decel and no sounds on accelerating. I checked the middle trans mount bolt and Recentered after reading another thread. It seemed to have helped some but the sound is still present
Was the rear trans mount torn/blown? I saw your other post.
Old 11-04-2020, 03:25 AM   #20
ALWYZBZ

Drives: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Was the rear trans mount torn/blown? I saw your other post.
Trans mount was not torn or blown.

The rattling:
Removing Whiteline Rear Diff + Whiteline trans bushing brought down the noise by 90%. The odd deceleration rattle is still feintly present but much more tolerable.

The weird clunking:
This was caused and fixed by centering the T bolt on the trans bushing. I guess it’s easy to overlook when tightening the bolt after removing the Whiteline trans bushing.
ALWYZBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ALWYZBZ For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (11-04-2020)
Old 09-16-2021, 07:43 PM   #21
Azazel.86

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Exclamation Hold on! Same here!

Quote:
Thanks for the input guys, I checked all the under panels and can’t find anything loose.

Previous owner out in an Action Clutch.. I wouldn’t even put those in my old Honda lol

Here is a video in 5th gear, noise is heard when the gas pedal is released then eventually it “settles” down. If I release the gas pedal softly the noise is reduced

Video:
https://streamable.com/s9rigv

In the video I accelerated in 5th, let off the throttle, accelerated and let off again

I'm having the same issue! I just had an Action Clutch installed two weeks ago, and the second I left the shop, that buzzing started. It buzzes the most in 2nd, 3rd, and 5th gears for me. The owner told me it was because of my Verus Clutch fork... Has anyone found a solution? Or is it just a bad clutch kit?

-PS. This is my first post I hope I didn't screw it up
Azazel.86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 02:38 AM   #22
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azazel.86 View Post
I'm having the same issue! I just had an Action Clutch installed two weeks ago, and the second I left the shop, that buzzing started. It buzzes the most in 2nd, 3rd, and 5th gears for me. The owner told me it was because of my Verus Clutch fork... Has anyone found a solution? Or is it just a bad clutch kit?

Welcome, Azazel. Post is fine. So is the Verus fork. Not sure about the clutch. Owner is trying to avoid a do-over. Can you record a clip of the sound and post it on youtube for us?
Old 09-26-2021, 10:48 PM   #23
Turdinator
Señor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azazel.86 View Post

Does the kit you used come with a light flywheel?
Old 11-23-2021, 09:39 PM   #24
jrhudson

Drives: 2016 scion frs
Quote:
Trans mount was not torn or blown.

The rattling:
Removing Whiteline Rear Diff + Whiteline trans bushing brought down the noise by 90%. The odd deceleration rattle is still feintly present but much more tolerable.

The weird clunking:
This was caused and fixed by centering the T bolt on the trans bushing. I guess it’s easy to overlook when tightening the bolt after removing the Whiteline trans bushing.
I had the same issue or similar to what you had. 5th gear decel, particularly at 2500-3000rpm, a loud rattle in the rear of the car. I tried everything, even removed the trunk heat shield.
I have Whiteline diff cradle inserts and Whiteline position traction kit(rear subframe inserts) I removed the diff inserts and can confirm just removing that reduced most of the rattle, if not all. Removing the subframe inserts would probably eliminate all of it.

I also have STI mounts if that matters.
jrhudson is offline   Reply With Quote