follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-05-2019, 10:53 PM   #1
MaxTurbo

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Invidia Q300 Ti Tips Rattle

I'm having a nasty rattle at the tips of my Q300 Ti Tips. The titanium tips seem to be riveted on the front, pretty much making a double wall on top of what I assume are stainless steel tips. I installed it brand new about three months ago and I the rattle started not long after. Ever since it has become obnoxious to the point that other people at events have thought my exhaust was loose or broken.

Is this a common issue for Invidia exhaust? Any quick fix ideas? I have not tried contacting Invidia. Even if they honor warranty I'd like to avoid the hassle of reinstalling a new exhaust and shipping.

Here's a video of what's going on.
MaxTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:38 PM   #2
Timmy_Jones
Spun

Drives: 17' Focus RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
This is just punishment for buying a stainless exhaust with fake titanium tips. Looks silly. Get a local shop to hack em off and put something else on.
Timmy_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:14 PM   #3
MaxTurbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy_Jones View Post
This is just punishment for buying a stainless exhaust with fake titanium tips. Looks silly. Get a local shop to hack em off and put something else on.
I guess you are right, but I won't get as far as replacing the tips. Something to fill the gaps and tighter rivets should fix it.
Old 06-08-2020, 12:20 PM   #4
fatdoggmendoza

Drives: Toyota 86 GT; Subaru Liberty 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTurbo View Post
I guess you are right, but I won't get as far as replacing the tips. Something to fill the gaps and tighter rivets should fix it.
Hey Max,

Just wondering how you went with this?

I had this exact problem after buying a Q300. After doing some reading online (mainly on Honda forums), I decided to drill out the rivets and replace them myself. This wasn't too hard to do as I had the exhaust off the car at the time, however after a month or so the rivets have gone loose and the drivers side tip is rattling like never before...

I've taken it to an exhaust shop who said he is going to weld it for me; but I also received a reply from Invidia not long after who recommend redrilling the holes (not using the existing holes), and using steel rivets.

There's lots of conflicting advice as to whether welding will work due to the tips being titanium, so I'm going to bring this up with the exhaust shop and see what they say!

I feel it would work if the rivets are still in place and holding the tips on, as long as you were able to weld just in between the gap of the tip and muffler to prevent the tip from rattling. I originally planned on using JB Weld to fill in the gaps, but decided against this as to not ruin the clean finish!

Interested to hear if and how you fixed this!
fatdoggmendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:19 PM   #5
Busybee

Drives: BRZ limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Common problem I guess. Check this out.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mazda 323F BA 1997 - Overseas
Mazda 323 BG 1994 - Sold
Mazda 323 BG 1991 - Sold
Busybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:30 PM   #6
MaxTurbo

Sorry for the late response! I ended up replacing the rivets with 5/32" stainless steel ones. Then made a small hole at the top of the tip (hidden from view when installed) and injected a bit of cooper silicone. It filled the gap between the walls at that spot and works as a bushing/damper. Almost a year later, no issues. I can post some pictures later if you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdoggmendoza View Post
Hey Max,

Just wondering how you went with this?

Interested to hear if and how you fixed this!

Tags
catback, exhaust, invidia, q300, rattle