follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-07-2015, 07:48 PM   #15
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
Leave them there and don't do anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This SHOULD work I believe. Black is tip. I cut away the exposted shield portion so it wouldnt catch by accident.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to l0aded For This Useful Post:
Sojhinn (05-07-2015)
Old 05-07-2015, 07:55 PM   #16
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0aded View Post

This SHOULD work I believe. Black is tip. I cut away the exposted shield portion so it wouldnt catch by accident.

Looks good to me.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:34 PM   #17
l0aded
Addicted

Garage
It worked! Good thing too. I'd be completely out of ideas if this didn't work. I'm sure I need more than 1 minute to judge it but I'm not 100% sure I like it. I've only driven it around my neighborhood but I had clunky shifts because it was active (didn't let go of gas before hitting clutch) and it feels almost unpredictable. The boost kicking in at different times and intensities might take some getting used to. Also it feels like the first kickin is stronger than partial boost so it's like wildly fast at lower throttles than I'm used to. Again I'll likely get used to it and end up loving it or I might need to adjust the mapping to not be so aggressive.

Is the pre-loaded map the sport or regular map?
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
Old 05-07-2015, 11:40 PM   #18
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
It worked! Good thing too. I'd be completely out of ideas if this didn't work. I'm sure I need more than 1 minute to judge it but I'm not 100% sure I like it. I've only driven it around my neighborhood but I had clunky shifts because it was active (didn't let go of gas before hitting clutch) and it feels almost unpredictable. The boost kicking in at different times and intensities might take some getting used to. Also it feels like the first kickin is stronger than partial boost so it's like wildly fast at lower throttles than I'm used to. Again I'll likely get used to it and end up loving it or I might need to adjust the mapping to not be so aggressive.

Is the pre-loaded map the sport or regular map?

Don't forget you can edit the map for the intensities. I would check to see how it drives tomorrow.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Old 05-08-2015, 12:05 AM   #19
l0aded
Addicted

Garage
Quote:
Don't forget you can edit the map for the intensities. I would check to see how it drives tomorrow.

Btw thanks again Sojhinn for all your help debugging the issues. You were pretty much right on every step of the away with the incorrect adapter and soldering points. I'm surprised by the lack of posts on this thread; if I ran into this many issues I'm sure other first batchers will too. Maybe no one has started yet?
Old 05-08-2015, 12:09 AM   #20
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Btw thanks again Sojhinn for all your help debugging the issues. You were pretty much right on every step of the away with the incorrect adapter and soldering points. I'm surprised by the lack of posts on this thread; if I ran into this many issues I'm sure other first batchers will too. Maybe no one has started yet?
Glad you got yours working. Mine goes in this weekend. Will post my impressions.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:32 AM   #21
l0aded
Addicted

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Glad you got yours working. Mine goes in this weekend. Will post my impressions.
If you run into any problems shoot me a text. I pretty much ran into all of them so yeah can probably be of assistance. Hopefully you don't have to solder but if you do and don't have the tools lmk.
DAEMANO (05-08-2015)
Old 05-08-2015, 12:50 AM   #22
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:

No worries bro. Just trying to help! curious are you on e85?

I'm 90% happy with procede settings on e85. I want to tweak it. But I haven't gotten around to it. Maybe between you and I we can tweak it to meet our needs.

Installed Mods:
Old 05-08-2015, 01:36 AM   #23
l0aded
Addicted

Garage
Quote:
No worries bro. Just trying to help! curious are you on e85?

I'm 90% happy with procede settings on e85. I want to tweak it. But I haven't gotten around to it. Maybe between you and I we can tweak it to meet our needs.

Regular pump gas. Honestly I'll probably need to test it outside of residential areas. I'm assuming e85 is even more jerky? Maybe we should have maps uploaded on this thread so we can grow the options, the software looks fairly simple. I'll play with tunes after I have some more time with it.

edit: OK rain and PROcede don't mix well with stock tires. It rained pretty heavily last night and after 5 minutes of driving I realized it was pretty dangerous to drive with the ESC on so I had to turn it off. I was loosing grip at 40% throttle and 15 mph. Pretty much anytime the PROcede kicked the ESC on I would lose grip. Is the stock map supposed to have that much boost at such low throttles? I'm confused and worried I could have damaged the PROcede when the female aux cable was fused together but at the same time it is operating as it should. It just feels way too aggressive to the point of being undriveable in the rain, I'm wondering if the map accounts for the fact that the 86 has max throttle at 80%. I'll open up the mapping after work and try shuffling things around; probably invest in new tires too lol.

Last edited by l0aded; 05-08-2015 at 11:51 AM.
raven1231 (05-08-2015)
Old 05-08-2015, 09:26 PM   #24
l0aded
Addicted

Garage
OK now that the road is dry and I've had more time with it I can appreciate it a bit more. There are a few things I would like to note for those considering it or already have it. First is align your expectations. If you are thinking it will feel like a bigger NA engine it will not (at least for me), in fact linearity went completely out the door IMO. For example (made up #s), I can be driving at 35% throttle and I edge my foot a tiny bit and the boost kicks in just a little, then I edge my foot back to 35%. You can feel a clunk of the engine receiving that boost and then it turning off. You can also feel the various points of boost; I've never driven a turbo car for very long but I would imagine it is even less linear than that since the boost on the ESC can cut off 100% immediately.

The car is definitely fun to drive but it will take some getting used to. I would say it is even somewhat dangerous if you don't know what you are doing since you can be mid turn and suddenly you get a surge of power and you spin out. In the rain it made it almost impossible to drive without slipping. This is probably where better than stock tires would help exponentially but if you plan on drifting it would basically be impossible without turning it off since the PID controller will keep correcting and jumping around with your foot throttle. You also need to be aware of when you are lugging your engine too since the boost will do some wacky stuff if you try 38mph at 6th gear.

Some tweaking is definitely necessary and I would say it is a great product but the tune is not quite there. After more users have it or Shiv spends more time polishing the maps it could be great. I'm hoping the sport map is loaded by default and if it is I will try the standard map which looking at the mapping is more suited for DD.

edit: yeah it's sport mode by default. I think I'll enjoy standard much more. Going to report back later.

Last edited by l0aded; 05-08-2015 at 09:42 PM.
raven1231 (05-08-2015)
Old 05-08-2015, 11:16 PM   #25
l0aded
Addicted

Garage
I take back everything. Default map is sport which imo is terrible. Switch to standard map and you'll be good. Kicks in much later, ramp up is much more smooth. I see why people describe it as getting a bigger engine now.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to l0aded For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (05-09-2015), Fareast auto part (05-16-2015), Gums (05-09-2015), raven1231 (05-09-2015), Sojhinn (05-08-2015)
Old 05-09-2015, 12:59 AM   #26
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
I take back everything. Default map is sport which imo is terrible. Switch to standard map and you'll be good. Kicks in much later, ramp up is much more smooth. I see why people describe it as getting a bigger engine now.

Let me know what you think tomorrow.

Installed Mods:
The Following User Says Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (05-09-2015)
Old 05-09-2015, 02:25 PM   #27
l0aded
Addicted

Garage
Quote:
Let me know what you think tomorrow.

Sorry for the hyper activity =p. The whole install process has been a mess and unfortunately I think it will be a mess for others but hopefully they can follow the story. I told Shiv yesterday that the aux cable plug can only be connected to the tip of the connector and he was unaware of this as the only car he installed one on was yours which was a mono plug. This probably means a lot of people will need to send the harness back which can be annoying if it's already installed and you can't check if it works without a voltmeter, or make their own connections. The 2.5mm plug that came with mine was not a normal TRS connection and was not soldered correctly at all which turned a 30 minute install to a 3 day one debugging issues left and right <_<.

Now that I've had at least 2 hours of drive time with the STANDARD map I can confidently say I did not waste my money. Most of my complaints with the SPORT map was addressed: slower ramp up rates, pushed back engagement point, etc. On the sport map you feel like you are going WOT at 60% which essentially takes out 40% of your throttle range and makes for a terrible drive. On the standard map you only have what feels like "partial boost" around 60% which is very controllable and won't clunk your engine when you shift or release the pedal suddenly. I would say it feels like a much upgraded v2 controller with partial boost coming on more naturally and ramping up to full throttle as you push down on the pedal. WOT Lag is mostly removed as this increase is more natural but you can still feel the engagement points slightly as you give it more gas. Linearity is still not as good as NA as to be expected and you do get surges of power. Concluding,
I would say my favorite thing about the PROcede is you forget about having to engage the ESC since the foot pedal is gone; I'm considering hiding the voltbox now so that I'm not constantly checking when it's kicking in. Oh and not having to go WOT to get the benefits is huge too.

IMO standard map should be standard... and there should be a disclaimer on the sports map as I legitimately feel it is borderline dangerous having that much boost at such low throttle. I'm excited to hear what everyone else thinks (about both maps) once they get it installed.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to l0aded For This Useful Post:
07jazzrs5gt86 (05-09-2015), DAEMANO (05-09-2015), Gums (05-09-2015), raven1231 (05-09-2015), Sojhinn (05-09-2015), WRB5titch (05-09-2015)
Old 05-10-2015, 03:27 AM   #28
PantsDants

Drives: Scion FR-S A/T, Whiteout
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
So I've got the Procede installed, figured I'd leave some notes here too:

- My harness also had the wrong plug soldered on, so I just bought a 3.5mm, soldered its tip wire to the harness, and covered the rest up.

- Most of my difficulty with the install was around getting the taps onto the wires on the ECU harness. I'm a fairly big dude and I had a really tough time contorting myself into the space down there under the glovebox. I honestly don't know how I would go about getting a soldering iron in there.

- The quick connect terminals do not want to stay in the taps at all. I shoved them in there the best I could and taped them to at least give them some semblance of connection strength. This is the part I'm the least confident about with the install; I'd definitely recommend figuring out some other way of making those connections.

- I ended up installing the Procede such that the USB port is accessible through the side panel that @Sojhinn has you remove in his video for more light. Basically, there's a ledge of sorts behind the dash that the unit can just rest on with a lip to prevent it from falling down. It's easy to reach in through the panel and maneuver the Procede to hook a laptop to it, all without having to remove your glovebox again.

- If you use the location I mentioned above for your install, there's a convenient lip to run your power wire along under where the glovebox goes; feel around, you'll figure it out.

- I agree with @l0aded: The standard mapping is the way to go.
PantsDants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PantsDants For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (05-10-2015), Gums (05-10-2015), l0aded (05-10-2015), raven1231 (05-10-2015), Sojhinn (05-10-2015)