follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-27-2020, 01:15 AM   #29
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86GTDriver View Post
I don't have my car yet, but I'm planning my build for when I do.
Welcome to the gang, there, 86GTDriver -

First off, you would have a ways to go to get an 86 to beat out your old SS in a straight line or to beat out your old Boxter on a curvy road.

If you want it to be a dependable, fun driving machine for weekend adventures on mountain roads, I'd suggest (like others have said) that you leave it stock until you have driven it for a while. It's performance, right out of the box, may pleasantly surprise you.

Then, decide what you want it to do better and modify it to meet those goals.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:17 AM   #30
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
+1 on the clutch engagement point mod
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:30 AM   #31
86GTDriver

Drives: TRD Pro Tundra and 4Runner
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
+1 on the clutch engagement point mod
It's going to have to be an automatic transmission.

Sold my SS and my Boxster because my knee would ache (I have a bit of arthritis) for days after any extended driving. It was fine while I was driving most of the time, but I found myself not wanting to drive them over concern about my knee.
86GTDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:35 AM   #32
86GTDriver

Drives: TRD Pro Tundra and 4Runner
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Welcome to the gang, there, 86GTDriver -

First off, you would have a ways to go to get an 86 to beat out your old SS in a straight line or to beat out your old Boxter on a curvy road.

If you want it to be a dependable, fun driving machine for weekend adventures on mountain roads, I'd suggest (like others have said) that you leave it stock until you have driven it for a while. It's performance, right out of the box, may pleasantly surprise you.

Then, decide what you want it to do better and modify it to meet those goals.
The 86 should beat out the Boxster pretty easily; maybe with minor mods? The Boxster was an '02 Base model, completely stock. It never felt all that special on curvy roads (my '07 328i felt better or at least inspired more confidence). Although, I'm not sure anything can beat the sound of that Boxster's engine though!

The SS was a boat on curves, but was something else in a straight line. With 0-60 coming in mid to high 4's. I think I'll eventually want the 86 to get low to mid 5's and I'd be happy.

Either way, I'm definitely going to drive it a bit first. Have to make it through the break in period on the engine. Then test it out a bit. I just get the feeling I'm going to want to get rid of that torque dip ASAP for mountain roads; especially with no MT.
86GTDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86GTDriver For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 09:06 AM   #33
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,129 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86GTDriver View Post
I hadn't seen anything about the Corsa not working with aftermarket header? In fact, I picked it and the UEL header based on a youtube video of the sound.

I'm in Easley, SC. Are there any good/reliable tuner shops in the Upstate? My search has only come up with one in Atlanta. I'll need one when I'm ready to start putting this plan into action. I don't mind going to Atlanta since I'm originally from there, but something more local would be far more convenient!
You will be fine with that Catted header/ catback combo. A few people have run it and it manages to retain reasonable sound levels, no drone and you get some power with a tune. I would however skip the front pipe, and leave it stock.

As others have mentioned, the intake is worth skipping. Drop in a high flow filter and call it a day.

Does FT86SF do custom tuning? If it's a canned tune I would just consider going OFT instead. Cheaper overall, can be flashed whenever you want and later sold without much loss.

Last edited by RToyo86; 05-27-2020 at 10:28 AM.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
86GTDriver (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 10:06 AM   #34
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My advice is to go drive it for awhile and then upgrade things one at a time, so that you can really get a feel for the benefit. When you upgrade to much at once you can not isolate the benefit of a specific part. I have done this with both my WRX and my BRZ. For example, when I did the lightweight crank pulley on my WRX, you could feel a much quicker increase and decrease in rpms, so it was a benefit. When I did it on the BRZ I felt no change at all. Yes I know butt dyno is not the best, but if you are really honest with yourself you can make some good judgements whether a mod was worth it or not.

I wish there were stock cars available to drive to compare side by side, so you could really compare the value of a mod. I try to avoid confirmation bias as much as possible and really ascertain what works and what does not.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post:
86GTDriver (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 12:19 PM   #35
AKITA

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS Halo
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
You will be fine with that Catted header/ catback combo. A few people have run it and it manages to retain reasonable sound levels, no drone and you get some power with a tune. I would however skip the front pipe, and leave it stock.

As others have mentioned, the intake is worth skipping. Drop in a high flow filter and call it a day.

Does FT86SF do custom tuning? If it's a canned tune I would just consider going OFT instead. Cheaper overall, can be flashed whenever you want and later sold without much loss.
I agree mostly, I would probably let go of the catt in the header or leave it stock. FT86SF does custom tuning much like other E tuners. It wouldn't be my first choice, I haven't been impressed with their service and it's a more expensive Ecutek tune. For NA, I see no problem with OFT. And in that light, leave the stock airbox just drop in the high flow filter. Many have said the stock airbox is sufficient for NA application. (less you want to spend hours of driving to rescale the MAF.. plus you need to know how). Yeah my Perrin CAI looks kind of cool but it adds little and required me to remove a bumper and to scale the MAF. Feel free to pull the sound amplifier and plug it (plenty of threads on this). So cattless header and OFT tune.. can do that fairly affordable. If you choose, throw which ever catback exhaust to your liking in sound (doesn't do much for performance).
AKITA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AKITA For This Useful Post:
86GTDriver (05-27-2020)