follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 05-24-2016, 04:13 PM   #127
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
Hey understandable style is a subjective subject, Dont disagree or agree with ya. Still can't deny that it's good. It's North America car of the year they're selling so many of them because the competition aren't even up to par, it's a sale success for Honda, in the appliance category anyways.

Fine by me, give em more money to hopefully not make the their new sports car crap. Hopefully money not go to fund things like another CUV.
Yea I'm sure its a great car. But looking at it on the road. It reminds me when I first saw a Crosstour. It just looked silly. High ride height. Tiny thin tires. Uninspired styling.

The new civic looks like a shrunk down crosstour smaller accord. I could never own it. The same way I know the miata is a great car I just could never own one. And I'm in a BRZ today.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:17 PM   #128
sprintertrueno86

Drives: 2018 BMW M2
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Knowing Honda, they are going to be 5yrs late with the release. On top of that, the new S2k will be 3300lbs, 6cyl CVT starting at 38k.
sprintertrueno86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:20 PM   #129
AznBRZer

Drives: 16 CBS WRX Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Everytime I read about the S2000's rumored revival, it makes me wish I got an S2000 instead of buying an RSX back in 2007.

In other words, I hate all of you for reminding me of my deeply seeded hidden pain.
AznBRZer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AznBRZer For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (05-24-2016), rookie (05-25-2016), Tcoat (05-24-2016), Zaku (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 06:21 PM   #130
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznBRZer View Post
Everytime I read about the S2000's rumored revival, it makes me wish I got an S2000 instead of buying an RSX back in 2007.

In other words, I hate all of you for reminding me of my deeply seeded hidden pain.
If it makes you feel better, I will probably never be able to afford a 1995 NSX without selling one of my testicles.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:17 PM   #131
Who8myrice

Drives: Ap2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
If it makes you feel better, I will probably never be able to afford a 1995 NSX without selling one of my testicles.
Bigger problem is they are too old.
I really don't want to spend money on car to just park it in the garage.
I know and met people who dd nsx but I don't like idea of that either.

When I was young I couldn't afford these cars and now I am older, I am getting too picky
Who8myrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:29 PM   #132
reni
Nobody beats the B[I|R]Z

Drives: shopping cart i stole from walmart
Thanked 1,145 Times in 456 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who8myrice View Post
Bigger problem is they are too old.
That's not a nice thing to say about another man's jimmies.
reni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reni For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (05-24-2016), funwheeldrive (05-24-2016), Who8myrice (05-25-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 10:31 PM   #133
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reni View Post
That's not a nice thing to say about another man's jimmies.
Dammit, beat me to the punch.
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:41 PM   #134
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:

Prolly not a good mention but my S2000 is from 2007. 9 years and 156k later it runs great but things are starting to fall apart and it's starting to require lots of tedious maintenance typical for an s2000 of the age and with as high miles im sure an RSX is much easier to keep above the 150k mark.

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zaku For This Useful Post:
AznBRZer (05-25-2016), funwheeldrive (05-24-2016), strat61caster (05-25-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 11:07 PM   #135
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
Prolly not a good mention but my S2000 is from 2007. 9 years and 156k later it runs great but things are starting to fall apart and it's starting to require lots of tedious maintenance typical for an s2000 of the age and with as high miles im sure an RSX is much easier to keep above the 150k mark.
I'm curious, what's failing? Considering it's a Honda I feel it would only be simple stuff like gaskets and plastic pieces. Am I wrong?
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:35 AM   #136
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
The humble Toyota Matrix had 8,350rpm redline - although the Celica oddly had some versions with a sub-8k rpm rev limiter. I think the Elise revved to 8,500rpm (used to hang around the 7th gen Celica boards a decade ago).
Not sure how longevity is, but it seems the Toyota versions ran into less problems than the ones used in the Lotus Elise...

I'd like to think that with the progress in technology, we could some day see a resurgence of fun-to-drive, revvy cars that deliver fantastic fuel economy and meet emissions regulations. But the change in the consumer might prevent that, as people become less interested in driving as a source of enjoyment (instead of a necessity to get from A-to-B).
The engines were all more or less identical, but they had different ECU tunes depending on which car and country it went to.

The biggest problem was really the oil pan, which for some reason was unbaffled whereas the 1ZZ oil pan had at least some baffling. Super easy to kill the engine from oil starvation.

If you wanted to run that thing over 8000rpm regularly, the stock valves would need to be thrown out and replaced with aftermarket, and probably the oil pump gears too. The stock valves were weak would break off the stem and wreck the engine. The lift bolts also were redesigned for reliability later one.

The C series transmissions were somewhat fragile too, which is another reason why K20 swaps are somewhat popular (even though you're not gaining much power for the trouble) for Elise/MR2s.

You're very correct about the consumer. Consumers these days like torquey small turbos, because they make the car feel really fast when you're not pushing it. Every manufacturer is toting the big increase in torque from switching to turbo engines for a reason. The hardcore car enthusiast that likes to shift gears to access the powerband is dying out

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Isn't the general issue with high revving engines that stiffer valve springs hurt fuel economy?

And the specific issue with the Honda K series was they couldn't feasibly get it to meet rising global emissions standards.
No, the friction from operating the valves is nearly negligible. The heat loss at lower rpm from increasing the bore:stroke ratio is also nearly negligible; Toyota found a 1% decrease in fuel efficiency going from the 90mm stroke in the 1ZZ to 85mm stroke in the 2ZZ.

The K series had been around for a decade by the time they had to retire the K20, that's about what you'd expect.

One big reason why you only see high revving engines in supercars now is that a high revving engine usually uses shorter low gears so people don't complain about "lack of torque", but then the shorter low gears wreck your EPA certification mpg. In the real world the mpg decrease is not that big, unless the top gear is too short like a E90 M3 or S2000, and you can get around it like the American manufacturers did using custom shift schedules. For whatever reason, no one has bothered specifying shift schedules to game the numbers, I guess they figure people aren't that interested in manual transmissions anymore.

In a supercar this isn't a problem because they have so much power no one is going to complain that their car is slow and needs a supercharger. Well...almost no one lol.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (05-25-2016), DarkSunrise (05-25-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 09:31 AM   #137
rookie

Drives: 1991 Formula Red NSX
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I have the same regret...
rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rookie For This Useful Post:
AznBRZer (05-25-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 10:30 AM   #138
evomike

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm curious, what's failing? Considering it's a Honda I feel it would only be simple stuff like gaskets and plastic pieces. Am I wrong?
the only thing i could see is just stuff from lack of general maintenance and now wear parts going bad are piling up.
evomike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to evomike For This Useful Post:
Zaku (05-25-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 10:49 AM   #139
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
You're absolutely right! it's mostly wear and tear things that needed to be changed. The thing is thought they tend to piling up one right after the other, like months after months I have something wear out or go wrong. Some of the things that I didn't think would go wrong and went wrong are:

Window Power Regulator(Driver side snapped for mine and I couldn't work the windows anymore)
VSA( I have the version with the early traction control, it's kinda stopped working or it's working I can't tell because the dash light no longer works, to me it's on all the time. Can't turn off for racing, oh well it's still safe, rear problem that doesn't occur often, there's not really a fix atm)
Starter(My starter stopped working at about 147k, and It had to be replaced, it was an expensive replacement, the part it self was close to 600$, keep in mind this was one of the first cars to get push button start I'm guessing components were much more complicated back then)

That's about it, it's been a pretty good car. The wear and tear parts really do pile up one after the other. in the past 5 months I had to replace something every month. I would like to do the whole thing all at once but I don't have that kind of money. It's a great car and I love it.

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zaku For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (05-25-2016)
Old 01-31-2017, 12:10 PM   #140
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Honda Trademarks ZSX Nameplate, Is It For A Baby NSX?

Quote:
It seems increasingly likely that a baby brother to the Honda NSX could be on the way, following confirmation that Honda trademarked ZSX with the European Union Intellectual Property Office on July 26.

While automakers trademark names all the time simply to protect them, rather than having the intention of bringing them to the market, the similarity between ZSX and NSX has certainly raised eyebrows and sent tongues wagging.

Interestingly, Honda has trademarked the name ZSX previously, albeit in the United States. That trademark however lapsed on December 10, 2012 but conceivably, may be snapped up by the Japanese company once again.

While speaking with French publication Automoto, a reported Honda engineer says that the company will launch the ZSX in concept guise at the Detroit Motor Show 2017 in January.

Apparently the car will debut as a hybrid coupe concept, utilizing the Civic Type R's 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine coupled to two electric motors, each driving a rear wheel.
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/08/hon...ate-is-it.html

Revived Honda S2000 May Get 320 HP Twin-Charged Inline-Four

Quote:
There are a handful of automotive rumors that have persisted for so long that you could be forgiven for believing they’re nothing more than wishful thinking. Among them are talks of a next-generation Honda S2000.

The Japanese company is a very different brand to what it was in the late 1990s and early 2000s when it produced some of the market’s best front-wheel drive hatches and of course, the rear-wheel S2000. Nowadays the brand is all about fuel-efficient vehicles that appeal to the masses.

Fortunately, it seems things are changing following the release of the latest Honda NSX and these changes are set to include a revived S2000, according to Car and Driver.

It is thought that Honda is planning to release a new S2000 in 2018 to mark its 70th anniversary and 20 years since the original S2000 was launched. Previously, it was widely reported that the Civic Type R’s turbo’d 2.0-liter would find its way into the new S2K but apparently, something much more exciting is in the works.

Honda is preparing to take a page out of Mitsubishi’s book by developing an all-new powertrain that incorporates a turbocharger and an electrically driven supercharger aimed at eliminating turbo lag while being more fuel efficient than current twin-turbo systems. These components will then be bolted to a 2.0-liter inline-four cylinder engine designed to pump out in excess of 320 hp.

Car and Driver says that this new powertrain will come mated to a dual-clutch eight-speed transmission. However, considering that Honda continues to offer many of its cars with manual gearboxes to this day, we’re holding out hope a traditional stick shift will also be made available.

If the new-age Honda S2000 does indeed launch in 2018, a debut at the Paris Auto Show in September next year or the Los Angeles Auto Show in November 2018 are likely candidates to host the unveiling.
http://www.carscoops.com/2017/01/rev...0-hp-twin.html
gymratter is offline   Reply With Quote