follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 11-17-2013, 02:54 AM   #15
cnk

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAOS View Post
Appreciate the advice but, I have read all of the recommendations and our daughter is well within height weight limits. She was holding her head up at birth, doing pretty much everything long before she was supposed to including walking at 9 months. She doesn't really fit in a rear facing seat without her legs being bunched up. We feel comfortable with her in a forward facing seat. Don't really understand how they come to those conclusions in the first place. If you get rear ended with a rear facing seat the inertia would be the same as if you had a head on with a forward facing seat. Given that I watch the road like a hawk when my daughter is with me I tend to worry more about being rear ended than anything else. Anyway, was just trying to share some info.

No problem. Your call since it's your kid. Just passing on the information for others that may read this thread as well since it does come from the AAP. AAP is the American Academy of Pediatrics for those that didn't know the acronym. Both our daughters had their legs bunched a little, but they didn't mind. In the end, each parent needs to make their own judgement call.

As for the inertia in a rear end collision, it may be similar on impact, but a rear facing seat does not position the child as vertical as a forward facing seat. The force vectors are different. The most dangerous part of a collision is the head being thrust forward, hence why race drivers use a HANS device to restrict that movement in a collision. After reviewing all the recommendations and applying physics in evaluating the pros and cons of forward facing vs. rear facing in all collision possiblities, I decided that it was better to keep them rear facing as long as possible.

As for seat choice, something with a SIPS (side impact protection system) was also an important feature in our decision to go with Recaro. It used to only be offered by Recaro and Britax so it's good to see other manufacturers start offering it now.
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cnk For This Useful Post:
brybot (03-01-2019)
Old 11-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #16
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
We have Recaro ProSports in our two family cars, and I bought a Clek Oobr for my BRZ. The Recaro gave trouble just getting in to the back seat and I was afraid of jamming it in there. It would likely fit but I didn't want to scratch up my paint - plus the Oobr seemed to place him deeper in the seat, away from the window.

I have another car now from 2000 without the latch system, so I need to find a decent seat that's easy to install properly. The problem with many boosters is that they cover up the seat belt receptor - so you end up moving the booster out of position just trying to access the receptor.

I'd buy another Clek, but I think they only work with the match setup. I did try a $25 backless booster, and 15 minutes in to an hour long ride my kid complained how uncomfortable it was - so I need to find a full back booster/convertible that's easy to install with a seatbelt and easy to remove, bc it's going in a wagon where I might want to drop the rear seat to haul stuff from time to time.

After getting in an a current with my 14 month old son in the back (got rear ended in other car -$8k worth of damage!) - paying an extra $1-200 on a safe seat is well worth it!

Oh - a note on those 5pt harnesses: it's very important to have the shoulder belts be even with the shoulders on the seat. My son is starting to outgrow the seat due to the top belt position. He still fits BUT if his shoulders go much higher, the seat belt will go up and over and down his back - in an accident this would transmit forces of compressing the spine and cause serious injury - so we're just about growing out of the 5pt harness seats due to his size. We will still use them with the car's seat belt, as long as we have access to the seatbelt receptor.
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:32 PM   #17
Quentin

Drives: ‘16 4Runner, ‘19 Corolla HB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Bump!

Chicco Nextfit. Very easy to snug it down and I could fit in front (5'8", slim) with some small amount of comfort.

Baby girl will be front facing in Aug. I should have my frs in sept!
Quentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:11 PM   #18
wrxneffect

Drives: 13 BRZ Ltd 6MT(sold), 03 WRX (RIP)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I just picked up the Recaro Performance Ride for my son. It look great but it is big. I however am not going to use it in the BRZ until my son is older. For now he gets to ride in my Accord and when in a pinch he'll get the Recaro in the BRZ.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:41 PM   #19
AznBRZer

Drives: 16 CBS WRX Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxneffect View Post
I just picked up the Recaro Performance Ride for my son. It look great but it is big. I however am not going to use it in the BRZ until my son is older. For now he gets to ride in my Accord and when in a pinch he'll get the Recaro in the BRZ.
Good idea. I'm planning on a Performance Ride as well, but going with a Graco 30 for the first few months. It'll just be that much easier getting the baby in and out without disturbing it too much. When it's a little bigger, then we're throwing it in the Recaro.

You didn't mention if your son is a baby or not, but if he is, don't forget to call Recaro for a baby insert because the ones they come with are too big.

LOLZ...this is a pretty old thread.
AznBRZer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:12 PM   #20
Quentin

I've read the recaro seats are more sizzle than steak. I'll have to buy a 3rd seat in the fall, so I'd consider a Recaro if it is as good as the car seat brands (Chicco, Britax, etc). Anyone have apples to apples experience?
Old 02-23-2014, 11:55 PM   #21
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I've read the recaro seats are more sizzle than steak. I'll have to buy a 3rd seat in the fall, so I'd consider a Recaro if it is as good as the car seat brands (Chicco, Britax, etc). Anyone have apples to apples experience?
Owned a Britax Diplomat for my son until he outgrew it a couple months short of three years old. He's in a Recaro ProSport right now in our Camry (fits just fine in the FR-S as well, took him with me on a test drive) and it looks like it's just as high quality as the Britax Frontier we were also considering. I've seen a few concerns about the placement of the shoulder strap installation on the Recaro, but my son is still using it with the LATCH connectors, so we'll deal with that after he hits 52lbs if necessary.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to n2oinferno For This Useful Post:
Quentin (02-23-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 12:33 AM   #22
JRTritsch

Drives: 13' FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I currently use the Britax Marathon 70-G3 - fits like a glove, the leg portion does not protrude past the seat bottom so there is ample leg room and the top of the seat is below the seat back.

I ordered a recaro proride when I bought the car. I like the seat better but it just doesn't fit so it goes in the other car.
JRTritsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:33 AM   #23
wrxneffect

Drives: 13 BRZ Ltd 6MT(sold), 03 WRX (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznBRZer View Post
Good idea. I'm planning on a Performance Ride as well, but going with a Graco 30 for the first few months. It'll just be that much easier getting the baby in and out without disturbing it too much. When it's a little bigger, then we're throwing it in the Recaro.

You didn't mention if your son is a baby or not, but if he is, don't forget to call Recaro for a baby insert because the ones they come with are too big.

LOLZ...this is a pretty old thread.
My son is 2 months old. I have a newborn carry seat that I'm using for now since I can just leave him in it and then pull the whole thing out and attach it to the stroller.

I'm going to start using the Recaro full time when he hits about 6 months.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:21 AM   #24
kevman_101

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Little necro post, but Anyone have the Harmony 360 Defender? I'm about to order it, but i tried an Evenflo Maestro and the rear of the car seat base was a good 2 inches off the bottom of the seat so I took it back.

Thanks for any insight.
kevman_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 04:35 PM   #25
Quentin

Perfect Kids Car Seat for BRZ / FRS

Quote:

Having been watching the Car Seat section of Consumer Reports since I posted this 3 years ago (and purchased 2 car seats), I always kept my eye on the Recaro seats. They are consistently rated toward the bottom end and are $100+ more expensive than the other models in the same rating range. I'd recommend skipping out on the race car brand seats. Just because they make nice seats in a LanEvo doesn't mean they make good kid seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quentin For This Useful Post:
brybot (03-01-2019), funwheeldrive (03-07-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 09:18 PM   #26
2017-BRZ

Drives: 2017Crystal White Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
GRACO TRANSITIONZ in RED RACING PIPING....perfect fit.
2017-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2017-BRZ For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (06-29-2019)
Old 03-07-2017, 11:00 AM   #27
LOLS2K
/scion

Drives: '13 86 M/T
Thanked 1,402 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Having been watching the Car Seat section of Consumer Reports since I posted this 3 years ago (and purchased 2 car seats), I always kept my eye on the Recaro seats. They are consistently rated toward the bottom end and are $100+ more expensive than the other models in the same rating range. I'd recommend skipping out on the race car brand seats. Just because they make nice seats in a LanEvo doesn't mean they make good kid seats.

What have you found to be a good option for a rear facing seat?

LOLS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:28 PM   #28
Quentin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLS2K View Post
What have you found to be a good option for a rear facing seat?

Chicco Keyfit30. I waited until my daughter was front facing to get my FR-S, though. Rear facing is tough to do in a coupe.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quentin For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (03-07-2017), LOLS2K (03-07-2017)