follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-03-2016, 10:31 PM   #29
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Gonna bump this. I'm considering doing the same thing with my Injen exhaust. Drones like a mofo around 2.5 to 3.5k RPM.

Asked AZP to look into it for me and ask the exhaust/weld shop they normally work with since I don't know any good places myself.
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:26 AM   #30
KenTK808

Drives: White 2014 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Added a Vibrant resonator to my SRT header back and it definitely took the edge off. Zero rasp at any throttle position and it cut the drone down.
KenTK808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:42 AM   #31
choiboie

Drives: 2013 Fr-S UltraMarine
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
where did you add the resonator too. the front pipe?
choiboie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:39 AM   #32
KenTK808

Drives: White 2014 Scion FRS
Right in front of the other resonator. Honestly, Vibrant makes so many different lengths, I should have taken out the original one and just added a long one instead of adding a short one.
KenTK808 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KenTK808 For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (04-23-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 01:17 PM   #33
ajcarson11

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (Black)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidd111 View Post
I should also mention that cold starts are definitely quieter but the drone when cruising is significantly quieter for sure. It also changed the general note from a bunch of angry gremlins to more of a fine tuned machine.

Happy to answer questions on fitment and what it took if anyone has any.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Resurrecting an older thread as I'm looking into going this route, with the Vibrant ultra quiet resonator.

First question: Do you recommend I go with the 2.5" or 2.25" resonator? I've got the stock front pipe, stock midpipe, and stock overpipe.

Second: I have a bit of rasp when I really get on it, but overall my setup (Gruppe-S UEL, stock piping to TopSpeed Pro-1 Axleback...similar to Greddy SP elite axleback) is pretty free of rasp. I'm interested in getting rid of the last bit, but also cutting down slightly on volume. When I'm on the freeway at 70mph there is just enough volume coming from exhaust that it becomes annoying unless i crank up the tunes. I would imagine this resonator would knock down the volume just enough to solve this problem... but i'm not completely sure. Do you think this a fair assumption to make? Or should i expect nearly no reduction in volume? I'm hoping for 10-20% reduction at most.

I'm sure a muffler shop can sort out where to weld this beast in. I'll have them move flanges as needed. There is only 12" of space between the midpipe flange and the bottle resonator. Wonder what they will say.
ajcarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:56 PM   #34
snidd111

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcarson11 View Post
Resurrecting an older thread as I'm looking into going this route, with the Vibrant ultra quiet resonator.

First question: Do you recommend I go with the 2.5" or 2.25" resonator? I've got the stock front pipe, stock midpipe, and stock overpipe.

Second: I have a bit of rasp when I really get on it, but overall my setup (Gruppe-S UEL, stock piping to TopSpeed Pro-1 Axleback...similar to Greddy SP elite axleback) is pretty free of rasp. I'm interested in getting rid of the last bit, but also cutting down slightly on volume. When I'm on the freeway at 70mph there is just enough volume coming from exhaust that it becomes annoying unless i crank up the tunes. I would imagine this resonator would knock down the volume just enough to solve this problem... but i'm not completely sure. Do you think this a fair assumption to make? Or should i expect nearly no reduction in volume? I'm hoping for 10-20% reduction at most.

I'm sure a muffler shop can sort out where to weld this beast in. I'll have them move flanges as needed. There is only 12" of space between the midpipe flange and the bottle resonator. Wonder what they will say.
Hey man, I got your PM too but thought I'd reply here so that others can get the info if they want it.

First, I'd like to answer the obvious question that I do really like the resonator. It absolutely cleaned up the note that comes from my Perrin intake, JDL EL catted headers, and Nameless Performance cat back. Unfortunately it didn't do too much about the rasp I have even with the resonated frontpipe from Nameless. It only kicks in as I get to around 4k RPM and up though so no big deal to me.

For volume, it definitely cut down the volume levels for the cold starts and for idle. Highway drone is quieter, but perceiving a percentage is pretty hard. Maybe 10% is a good number? I have a dB meter around here somewhere. I can try and remember what I had for a cold start prior. Comparison won't be perfect though given that it was in the winter.

Lets see, on to fitment. The Vibrant resonator is a bit of a fatty so that's where ingenuity came into play with the stock midpipe. I went with the 2.5" resonator and I'm still glad I did. One side fit the mid pipe perfectly. The other side did not. It really depends how you go about getting it on the pipe. The midpipe is absolutely not of uniform width.

What I did to get things to work was to cut off the adapter that's on one side of the stock bottle resonator. It didn't need it because I was shifting it forward to where the pipe was uniform on both ends. Then I welded that adapter to the Vibrant resonator. A shop would probably just use an adapter that they have on hand. I'd rather reduce to the stock pipe than introduce a bottleneck and have to expand to it.

Another guy on here had a fabbed midpipe so it was all equal size and he put the Vibrant right up at the front around where the stock bottle would be. I didn't want to cut and shift the pipe fittings if we didn't have to so we didn't go that route. If that would let you put it between your tires though, it may be worth while.

When I put it towards the back before the bend that goes under the rear axle, I had to crease the resonator so that it would give ample clearance to the drive shaft. Creasing it doesn't have an effect functionally and you can't see it from under the car unless you try and see above it, so it wasn't a problem for me. What was a problem was actually making the crease. This thing is built well. We took it out in the yard and smacked it with the blunt side of an axe for a while. The rolled steel on the ends is very very sturdy. I absolutely have no worries about this thing outlasting the midpipe in every way or getting damaged by some road debris.

Why not show the picture I posted to the shop as an idea of what they could do. Either way, I'd ask to stand with them under the car and talk with them about their ideas and what you've seen. If they're pros, I'm sure they can make it work wherever you and they want it to go.

If I were to do it all again though and had a bigger budget for it, I'd probably get the Borla midpipe that's a direct fit replacement so that I'd have a uniform pipe size and a long bottle resonator to put on it. Still happy with my results for the cost of the Vibrant though!
snidd111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to snidd111 For This Useful Post:
ajcarson11 (05-19-2016)
Old 04-13-2022, 09:19 PM   #35
Lav

Drives: Frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
I had that Vibrant 2.5" installed on my TRD catback. It REALLY cut the noise down to the point where its nice and quiet in the cabin, but its still audible when I step on it. Its also much quieter at startup/idle.

The actual exhaust note DID change a bit, its not as burbly before and more high strung. So keep that in mind, it might change how the exhaust actually sounds.

But I am happy with it. This is my daily driver exhaust, and I still have my stock midpipe with the nameless muffler delete for when I feel like it LOL

Is that the 1141 Vibrant? And it fit on the TRD catback without any bending or finagling that these guys with other set ups had to do?

Really hoping you're around 6 years later lol.

EDIT: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...4&postcount=35 I just found this comment in another thread. Sorry for the necro everyone

EDIT: Update, I had a vibrant 1141 put in, it does not fit on the TRD midpipe very well. The picture by Kostamojen lead me (and perhaps only me) to believe it would fit in place of the stock resonator without hanging much below. That is not the case for the TRD catback with the D shaped tips. The oval body of the resonator would not be sitting horizontally, itd have to be a little diagonal in a way that lowers ground clearance because the pipe is biased to the driver side a little bit. If you look in the picture you can see that its at like a 5-15 degree angle. Just a warning for others who may not notice it. For me it would have had to have been a bit steeper

What my shop ended up doing is cutting close to frontpipe, still on the midpipe. @snidd111 describes a similar place (his photos are no longer available to me in 2022) but he had to bend his. I chose not to bend mine as the muffler guys said that would decrease the effectiveness of the resonator (Posters here have said the opposite, but I decided it wasn't worth the risk). It is sitting very close to the drive shaft, but there is a bracket (the same bracket that Snidd111 likely bent around) that keeps it from touching the actual shaft.

It is now the lowest point on my car, just a smidge lower than the end of the midpipe that bends aroiund the rear diff. I dont love it, since having that low point in the middle is going to be worse than having it be low near the tires. For reference I have about a two finger gap between my tires and the fenders if you hold your fingers parallel to the ground.

Measurements wise: I only measured one scenario so far

from standstill to 3rd gear, shifting at 6k with throttle at like 80%

Before (Gruppe S UEL catless headers + overpipe, TRD catback):
LAeq: 81.6 dB
Max level: 90.1 dB
TWA (idk what this is): 51.7 dB

After (replace TRD stock resonator with Vibrant 1141 2.5in resonator)
LAeq: 78.1 dB
Max level 83.0 dB
TWA: 47.9 dB

Measured on NIOSH SLM iphone app. Car was warmed up on both cases. Gut check wise it is quieter, but it DIDN'T get rid of the "bbbooobooooooom" of slowing down at 3.5 to 3k with no throttle, though the boom itself might be quieter. I will update the measured value of that situation if anyone asks. I have the before measured.

TLDR: Resonator didn't do a whole lot. I was wearing dildo headphones on long drives before, I probably still will. I'm hoping it will "break in" but that phenomenon is disputed. I wouldn't even say its "a whole lot quieter" during cruising as Kostamojen describes. If you find the daily-ability of the TRD catback to be bad, dont expect the vibrant 1141 to fix it.

Last edited by Lav; 04-15-2022 at 05:43 PM.
Lav is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lav For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 08:43 PM   #36
DominicRouleau

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lav View Post
Is that the 1141 Vibrant? And it fit on the TRD catback without any bending or finagling that these guys with other set ups had to do?

Really hoping you're around 6 years later lol.

EDIT: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...4&postcount=35 I just found this comment in another thread. Sorry for the necro everyone

EDIT: Update, I had a vibrant 1141 put in, it does not fit on the TRD midpipe very well. The picture by Kostamojen lead me (and perhaps only me) to believe it would fit in place of the stock resonator without hanging much below. That is not the case for the TRD catback with the D shaped tips. The oval body of the resonator would not be sitting horizontally, itd have to be a little diagonal in a way that lowers ground clearance because the pipe is biased to the driver side a little bit. If you look in the picture you can see that its at like a 5-15 degree angle. Just a warning for others who may not notice it. For me it would have had to have been a bit steeper

What my shop ended up doing is cutting close to frontpipe, still on the midpipe. @snidd111 describes a similar place (his photos are no longer available to me in 2022) but he had to bend his. I chose not to bend mine as the muffler guys said that would decrease the effectiveness of the resonator (Posters here have said the opposite, but I decided it wasn't worth the risk). It is sitting very close to the drive shaft, but there is a bracket (the same bracket that Snidd111 likely bent around) that keeps it from touching the actual shaft.

It is now the lowest point on my car, just a smidge lower than the end of the midpipe that bends aroiund the rear diff. I dont love it, since having that low point in the middle is going to be worse than having it be low near the tires. For reference I have about a two finger gap between my tires and the fenders if you hold your fingers parallel to the ground.

Measurements wise: I only measured one scenario so far

from standstill to 3rd gear, shifting at 6k with throttle at like 80%

Before (Gruppe S UEL catless headers + overpipe, TRD catback):
LAeq: 81.6 dB
Max level: 90.1 dB
TWA (idk what this is): 51.7 dB

After (replace TRD stock resonator with Vibrant 1141 2.5in resonator)
LAeq: 78.1 dB
Max level 83.0 dB
TWA: 47.9 dB

Measured on NIOSH SLM iphone app. Car was warmed up on both cases. Gut check wise it is quieter, but it DIDN'T get rid of the "bbbooobooooooom" of slowing down at 3.5 to 3k with no throttle, though the boom itself might be quieter. I will update the measured value of that situation if anyone asks. I have the before measured.

TLDR: Resonator didn't do a whole lot. I was wearing dildo headphones on long drives before, I probably still will. I'm hoping it will "break in" but that phenomenon is disputed. I wouldn't even say its "a whole lot quieter" during cruising as Kostamojen describes. If you find the daily-ability of the TRD catback to be bad, dont expect the vibrant 1141 to fix it.
Thank you for posting all that informations ! I decided to replace my TRD resonator with a Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator because I have a uel header and was a little too boomy for me. The shop who did the job choose the 2.25 resonator 1140.

Fitment :
The vibrant resonator can fit, but with a little angle. By what I can see, the vibrant resonator is about 1 inch lower than the stock one ( you can see it in the side picture ).

Sound :
The volume is quieter for sure ! I cannot tell how much db quieter it is, but now the volume with the uel header is the same as if I only had the TRD exhaust with stock header. So yes it makes a noticable difference.

About the tone, it is the same as before but deeper at lower rpm. I really love it !

Conclusion :
If the TRD exhaust is too loud for you, replacing the resonator with a Vibrant Ultra Quiet can really makes it quieter ! For me it is the perfect setup with my uel header.

Here is a few pictures :
Attached Images

DominicRouleau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DominicRouleau For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (07-14-2022), Lav (08-30-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 10:06 PM   #37
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Thats why replacing axleback is better, you are leaving the stock midpiple where it have long ass resonator.
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote