follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-24-2021, 08:46 PM   #1
Swolzee

Drives: Honda Insight
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
eBay Oil Cooler

This post is going to start off as a questionnaire of:
"who has had any experience using an eBay oil cooler?"

Later I will edit the OP to include a review on the eBay oil cooler I have purchased and is currently on the way. As I have gotten older one thing really resonates with me that I used to not adhere to which is I am more than willing to pay extra to get extra.
Meaning, I don't mind to pay for a premium product if I'm getting a premium result as opposed to something that will just get you by but is sort of questionable.

In this case I find it hard to justify the cost of some of these pre-built oil cooler kits. The average cost for a model specific kit ranges between $600-$700, and only a few of these seem to have a quality sandwich plate.

So far with my piece together kit I'm at $100 for lines fittings and cooler via eBay, and $129 for the RacerX sandwich plate. For a grand total of $230 roughly 1/3 the cost of a pre-made kit and a sandwich plate that's better than most of them.
Just wanted to post this real quick I'm on the phone but later I will add the specifics and links in case anyone's interested.

I'm not sure how this will turn out and this is not an endorsement as of yet but certainly something to keep in mind for those who may want the additional $400.
Swolzee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swolzee For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (05-24-2021), Drifter X (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 08:48 PM   #2
Drifter X

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86 TRD SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Following!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drifter X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:50 PM   #3
Gloonge

Drives: 2013 frs raven
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
eBay Oil Cooler

I went this route. Ended up making my own brackets to mount a core like the harrop oil cooler. Would have come out way ahead if not for the leaky fittings. I feel like that’s the one benefit of buying a pre made kit is pre made pressure tested lines.

Original investment was around $360 for core, plate and lines. Easily spent another $100 on fittings and 15 hours filling, draining and fixing lines. Over a few weekends of course. The breath of relief when I finally stopped seeing drips from the fitting on the core..

*edit* guess it was closer to $430 after you factor in all the specialty tools necessary to do the job.
Gloonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 10:59 AM   #4
Trueweltall

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
You can usually have lines made at any place that services tractors or heavy equipment, lots of those around in Florida. Might have to supply your own fittings though. I think some auto parts stores do it too.
Trueweltall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trueweltall For This Useful Post:
Swolzee (05-25-2021)
Old 05-29-2021, 12:47 PM   #5
Swolzee

Drives: Honda Insight
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
A Quick update.

I just received the radiator. My expectations were for it to be adequate although it be a bit flimsy and maybe fragile. To my surprise it is quite sturdy. The build quality is very well constructed. The tops and bottoms are thick and likewise are the brackets. The ribs seem very sturdy like this thing could take a hit from road debris or such and be fine. If I had to guess I'd say this is a direct replica of another companies design or is that very unit just rebranded. It feels too polished to be a random design.

I'm still waiting for the lines and fittings to arrive but here's the links to both.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273679346306
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264958169542

I unfortunately won't be able to provide a baseline for oil temps since I'm doing all the install while the bumper is off. I'm also installing the E-force SC kit at the same time so that's going to mess up any type of baseline. So I won't be able to test thermal coefficients or anything but I can relay what my temps under load look like, build quality of parts, and ease of install.
Swolzee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swolzee For This Useful Post:
BrahmaBull1990 (05-29-2021), Drifter X (05-29-2021)
Old 05-29-2021, 02:01 PM   #6
blsfrs

Drives: 2013 frs base
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Is there going to be any issue with using a "transmission" oil cooler vs one designed specifically for engine oil cooling. The Ebay ad did not mention a max pressure.
blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:13 PM   #7
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
2 engine oil coolers, 1 autobahn and 1 evil energy, both with evil energy push lock fittings, aeroquip lines, and mocal thermo sandwich plate. So 8 AN fittings total with zero issues or leaks.

2 transmission oil coolers, 1 autobahn and 1 evil energy, both with evil energy push lock fittings, aeroquip lines, and derale thermostat fluid control. So 12 AN fittings total with zero issues or leaks.

And now currently In the process this weekend of installing a 3rd oil/trans setup on my 3rd build. Same full evil setup, mocal/derale thermostats, and aeroquip lines.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote