follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-14-2014, 09:21 AM   #29
Chad86
DrivinginDreams...Cloud86

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by utekineir View Post
At first i was debating parking mine for winter, especially since i have a good awd vehicle. The debate went back and forth in my head while searching for a set of good snow tires cheap (found a new set on cl eventually.)

Then i said, fuck it, this car likely will be the equivalent of a miata and be a dime a dozen by the time the car actually rusts out as long as its washed well (undercarriage wash religiously in salted environments).

Don't kid yourself, its a mass produced econobox, take care of it, but also enjoy the shit out of it and if you're that attached to the platform just buy another in better shape when they depreciate to nothing. Wether you keep it in a bubble or not it will depreciate.

Most cars are not an investment, this car is nothing special, its a mass produced hunk of metal, you can get another. On its current path it will not see anything but significant depreciation, which is awesome. Can't wait till a parts car can be grabbed for little or nothing.
I can't believe you are calling the GT86 an 'econobox'

Chad86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:30 AM   #30
utekineir
blowhard

Drives: frs, project forester
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad86 View Post
I can't believe you are calling the GT86 an 'econobox'

It's a cheap (yet a bit overpriced) fun car, which is fantastic. It isn't a cayman or 911 or even a lotus. You aren't the only person in their 30s here. Relative to its segment it's no less of an econobox than a miata.

You'll enjoy it more when you realize wether you keep it in a bubble or not it will depreciate. Your time capsule example will absolutely be worth more down the road, but the number isn't going to be thousands unless this car becomes a legit collectible. Between now and then there will be depreciation. Just like stocks, buy on the dip.

It's a very good car if it fits your needs, but it is just a car, thousands just like it roll off the assembly line every year.

I'll enjoy the piss out of mine and years down the road if I need another I'll find a babied one cheap from someone swallowing a pill of reality and mass produced cars.
utekineir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:48 AM   #31
utekineir
blowhard

Quote:
GT86, FR-S, BRZ...All the same luxurious machine.
Please take the ***** off the pedestal.

If there is anything this car isn't its luxurious.

It's a stripped down non sound deadened tin can with about the same level of luxury amenities as a vehicle from the mid 90s.

Seriously though. Just wait till you hear the road noise, rain pinging off the trunk and spend some time actually touching the interior.

Lap of luxury sir, lap of luxury.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:08 AM   #32
jjaisli

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I think some people are really missing the (OP's) point.

I'm in my 40s. I'm not rich but I do pretty well. And I've owned lots of cars. Some of them have cost a LOT more than the FR-S. But it's not my daily driver and I store mine away for the winter as well. (Of course, keep in mind I do live in the thick of the snow (read: salt) belt). Should we not care about the FR-S just because it cost $30K and not $60K? Or $90K? What a strange way to think.

I no longer drive expensive cars because I live in a rural area and my commute is over 100 miles every day. No matter what I drive, I'm going to have over 100,000 miles on it in four years. Most cars, and certainly not daily drivers, offer much return on investment and any car will depreciate very quickly with those kind of miles. I may miss my Audi or BMW but in my case, it's just throwing money away. With my used Fit, I don't fret over where I park it; that some careless individual will ding my door. Or that I hit a huge pothole. Or that my car is driving through a salt bath and I won't have time to wash it for another two weeks. Or that a passing dog is using my wheel as a fire hydrant. Or that the truck in front of me is spewing loose gravel all over my hood.

Well, actually, I DO care about those things. Even with the Fit. But it doesn't REALLY bother me. The FR-S on the other hand is special. I really LIKE the car. And not because of how much it costs. Or how much it doesn't. In size, weight, power, balance and performance, it's very much like a car I once lusted after in high school: The Porsche 944S2.

The OP is taking delivery but won't be driving his car for a few months. And he was considering the merits of putting it storage vs leaving it parked, perhaps on the street, somewhere, during that time. I think his premise was either misunderstood or people have just grown terribly cynical.

Last edited by jjaisli; 03-14-2014 at 10:25 AM.
jjaisli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jjaisli For This Useful Post:
Blu-by-U (03-15-2014), Chad86 (03-14-2014), FRSure (03-14-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 04:18 PM   #33
Chad86

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by utekineir View Post
Please take the ***** off the pedestal.

If there is anything this car isn't its luxurious.

It's a stripped down non sound deadened tin can with about the same level of luxury amenities as a vehicle from the mid 90s.

Seriously though. Just wait till you hear the road noise, rain pinging off the trunk and spend some time actually touching the interior.

Lap of luxury sir, lap of luxury.
Much more of a luxurious sports car than my soon to be DD Celica! But who are we kidding...one mans box is another mans luxury!

Road noise is not a dealbreaker and is possibly the same as the Celi
Old 03-15-2014, 02:26 PM   #34
Chad86

Garage
Going to check out West Coast Storage, which has secured indoor storage. Basically like a garage. What are your thoughts on this place?

http://westcoastsuperstorage.com/
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Chad86 For This Useful Post:
Blu-by-U (03-15-2014)
Old 03-15-2014, 03:38 PM   #35
Blu-by-U
Some Dumb Guy

Drives: wanting an Acabian
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Chad, for what it's worth, my FR-S has never been touched by a snow flake. Nor is it my intention to ever let that happen. Some people don't understand yet, but they will. It's entirely up to you, if you think that she's worth it, do what you have to.

Once upon a time, I owned five Dodge Chargers (2-68, 2-69 & 1-70), along with a 70 Road Runner. All in decent shape and I ran them, literally, into the ground, well, one was stolen. Today, those cars are worth a lot more than I paid for them. I only wish that I had the 68 Coronet R/T that I was weaned on, not that I would contemplate selling it.

My FR-S has given me great pleasure on the street and at BIR on the road coarse (for now an annual event) and likely to be the last performance car that I purchase, we'll see. I'm on your side, store her and keep her for as long as you wish. Depending upon your intentions, she is an investment (not driven) or an enjoyment (driven appropriately). My thoughts of the FR-S, simple period.

Quote:
My Monogram is set to arrive soon, but I will not have a garage to store it in until late spring. This is going to be my spring/summer vehicle and baby and I will be driving my Celica as a daily driver on all other occasions.

Let me know your thoughts and ideas.

Last edited by Blu-by-U; 03-15-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Blu-by-U is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blu-by-U For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (03-15-2014), gily25 (03-17-2014)
Old 03-15-2014, 10:15 PM   #36
993Fan

Drives: 2014 DGM BRZ MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'd be worried about mice leisurely chewing on my spark plug wires without one of these...

http://www.carcapsule.com/
993Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 993Fan For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (03-15-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 11:21 AM   #37
Prog

Drives: 2016 Cadillac CTS
Slightly off topic, but is the Monogram FR-S really $30k+? If so, why would anyone buy it over the (less expensive) BRZ Limited? I'm not putting down the FR-S, as it is - after all - almost the exact same car as the BRZ, but that is exactly my point.
Prog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:33 AM   #38
utekineir
blowhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog View Post
Slightly off topic, but is the Monogram FR-S really $30k+? If so, why would anyone buy it over the (less expensive) BRZ Limited? I'm not putting down the FR-S, as it is - after all - almost the exact same car as the BRZ, but that is exactly my point.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:51 PM   #39
subiestyle

Drives: 2014 Monogram FR-S White MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog View Post
after taxes and such in the US.

but generally speaking, you're looking at about $2000 extra for the monogram (***waits for the poster that says I can get it for such and such price***)

whether you think the extra cost is worth it is for another thread.
subiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:58 PM   #40
Purdue FR-S
Boiler Up!

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The cynicism in this thread... my god.

What's important to one person obviously won't be important to someone else.

"Crash it bro, it's such a cheap car. You wanna take care of something that you bought? WTF is your problem? I'm such an affluent person that I buy a new one every week bro... that's why i'm posting on this forum right now."

Some need to redefine what "econobox" means. For the large population of the general public, an FR-S or a Miata ... isn't categorized as such.

Taking care of your possessions has it's limits I understand. You don't want to fall into 'what you own ends up owning you' ... but you can practice a degree of care without falling victim.
Purdue FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:59 PM   #41
Turbo95eg6

Drives: 2014 BRZ SWP LTD
Thanked 2,266 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjaisli View Post
I think some people are really missing the (OP's) point.

I'm in my 40s. I'm not rich but I do pretty well. And I've owned lots of cars. Some of them have cost a LOT more than the FR-S. But it's not my daily driver and I store mine away for the winter as well. (Of course, keep in mind I do live in the thick of the snow (read: salt) belt). Should we not care about the FR-S just because it cost $30K and not $60K? Or $90K? What a strange way to think.

I no longer drive expensive cars because I live in a rural area and my commute is over 100 miles every day. No matter what I drive, I'm going to have over 100,000 miles on it in four years. Most cars, and certainly not daily drivers, offer much return on investment and any car will depreciate very quickly with those kind of miles. I may miss my Audi or BMW but in my case, it's just throwing money away. With my used Fit, I don't fret over where I park it; that some careless individual will ding my door. Or that I hit a huge pothole. Or that my car is driving through a salt bath and I won't have time to wash it for another two weeks. Or that a passing dog is using my wheel as a fire hydrant. Or that the truck in front of me is spewing loose gravel all over my hood.

Well, actually, I DO care about those things. Even with the Fit. But it doesn't REALLY bother me. The FR-S on the other hand is special. I really LIKE the car. And not because of how much it costs. Or how much it doesn't. In size, weight, power, balance and performance, it's very much like a car I once lusted after in high school: The Porsche 944S2.

The OP is taking delivery but won't be driving his car for a few months. And he was considering the merits of putting it storage vs leaving it parked, perhaps on the street, somewhere, during that time. I think his premise was either misunderstood or people have just grown terribly cynical.
A snowflake lol. This guy over here... It better damn well have never touched a raindrop either.

These cars are cheaply made econobox's, nothing like the classics you have owned. Look, storing it over the winter is common and what many including myself recommended. Apparently OP made a bad choice to purchase a new car without a proper storage, and I highly recommend him to consider another car that he can enjoy more than 4 months of the year. When it comes time to sell, he isn't going to see any difference in price and will probably regret not driving the car as much as he should. However, I do believe one a few months passes he will realize this and change his mind. We all have that same mentality of wanting to keep a brand new car pristine. After a few road rashes, scuffs and rock chips, you get over it. The car will never be the same after driving it off the lot.

Just enjoy the car!
Turbo95eg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:43 PM   #42
utekineir
blowhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdue FR-S View Post
Taking care of your possessions has it's limits I understand. You don't want to fall into 'what you own ends up owning you' ... but you can practice a degree of care without falling victim.
Absolutely, but paying for the expenses of two cars and storage for one just to keep a car thats in the mid 20k range (us) pristine?

Nobody said don't maintain your car and beat the shit out of it.

In a nutshell the general troll response was don't end up spending what'll eventually end up being >10% the purchase price of the car on keeping something pristine thats going to depreciate at a similar rate regardless of reasonable care for a duration of ownership far longer than the average owner.

When it comes to resale down the road, the roi on storage and a daily beater to keep this car mint will be < than the cost of just driving the damn thing and taking care of it.

Maybe the car will be a classic within 15 years, who knows. Probably not though when you compare the production numbers vs of those that are considered modern collectibles (clownshoe, last gen tt supra, last gen ws6 trans am, for examples of cars that have defied traditional depreciation). Before that status is reached, if it ever is, there will be a window to scoop up clean examples with significant depreciation. I'm expecting this car to follow the miata path and eventually become dime a dozen, its going to be fantastic.

If a car is an investment, treat it like one, buy on the dip.

Myself, i'll be driving the shit out of it (many business miles), enjoying it the whole way while making it last (frequent undercarriage washes during winter are incredibly important to any car that sees salt) assuming that despite maintenance and a reasonable level of care in 5-10 years its been run into the ground and I still want another picking up one for half or less of msrp won't be an issue.

Last edited by utekineir; 03-17-2014 at 01:55 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to utekineir For This Useful Post:
Turbo95eg6 (03-17-2014)