follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-04-2014, 07:10 PM   #1
Blu-by-U
Some Dumb Guy

Drives: wanting an Acabian
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Red face How do I catch up?

Howdy. I finally found a car that I really enjoy driving, other than the 68 Coronet R/T that I had "in the day". Been out of the loop for awhile, automotively speaking. I haven't done any mods to a car since dual points and condensers. Whereas I'm sure that the principles are the same, the tweeking is vastly different these days. No more half degree hammers, plug in the computer and remap.
It's pass time for me to catch up and I'm wondering where to start. From the first sit in the drivers seat (Honey, I'm home) to today (can't wait for spring), it's been difficult for me to exit the car and I don't mean physically. This is my first sports car and she's almost perfect. I know what I want to do about the physical things (tires, brakes, exhaust, etc...), but what about the tweeking?
Anybody out there care to teach an old dog the new tricks?
Blu-by-U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:26 PM   #2

Drives: UM86 - 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Welcome! I would start with this if you are interested in an ease-of-use tune/tweeking solution: http://openflashtablet.com/products/OFT/index.html
1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1086 For This Useful Post:
Blu-by-U (03-15-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 07:44 PM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdv14476 View Post
Howdy. I finally found a car that I really enjoy driving, other than the 68 Coronet R/T that I had "in the day". Been out of the loop for awhile, automotively speaking. I haven't done any mods to a car since dual points and condensers. Whereas I'm sure that the principles are the same, the tweeking is vastly different these days. No more half degree hammers, plug in the computer and remap.
It's pass time for me to catch up and I'm wondering where to start. From the first sit in the drivers seat (Honey, I'm home) to today (can't wait for spring), it's been difficult for me to exit the car and I don't mean physically. This is my first sports car and she's almost perfect. I know what I want to do about the physical things (tires, brakes, exhaust, etc...), but what about the tweeking?
Anybody out there care to teach an old dog the new tricks?
Well, first off, @jdv14476, WELCOME to ..... The Forum and CONGRATULATIONS on your new machine. You sure picked a good one to make a come-back in.....

Let's see ..... tuning. Well, for sure you can leave your feeler gauge, dwell meter, timing light & vacuum gauge in the back of the drawer.

Hmmm......tweaking non-ECU stuff. Tires have come a long way recently. A lot depends on what kind of driving you will be doing. I'd suggest you go to tire rack.com for some good information.

The brakes that came on the car are just fine for average driving.

The suspension is set up perfectly for average driving. No, the car does not need to be any lower (it just makes it harder to get in and out of ....).

Now the for the exhaust. Some power gains can be had by opening it up (aftermarket header, down pipe, over pipe, mid pipe and muffler (or not). However, opening it up is expensive and can make the car loud as hell.

If your just interesting on making it sorta sound like putting some glass packs on the back in the day cars, several after market mufflers are out there. I like the muffler made by "nameless" (that's a company name).

The air box is just fine for average driving. However, free-er flowing "drop in" filters are on the market. I like K&N.

There is lots of good info on this site.

Happy driving!
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
86-tundra (02-17-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 08:18 PM   #4
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Start with cosmetic stuff and then tell us what you are unhappy with. Acceleration? Turn in? Twitchy rear end?

Otherwise I would just cruise the tech subforums and read, read read. Even if you don't plan on tracking, there is a lot of knowledge in those forums (the RCE/CSG suspension thread and the CSG track question thread in particular).

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
Blu-by-U (03-15-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 08:32 PM   #5
Blu-by-U
Some Dumb Guy

Back in the day, everyone ran straight lines, light to light. After I bought my first bike, I quickly learned how fun curves actually were. Always wanted to go down south and ride the "Tail of the Dragon" in NC. Now, I want to do it on 4 wheels. I have learned with my first runs at BIR that power isn't everything and can wait. So I'll be working other things first, but eventually, I will want some more power. As I said, she's almost perfect and a few more ponies would be right. I had heard that Subaru was talking about an STI version that gained about 30 hp without any real extras, but I haven't heard anything since.
My thanks for the welcome and quick responses. Have been reading many interesting threads about a lot of topics and will be doing more research for a little while, but hey, it's winter and I refuse to use the snow button. I will surely be checking out the link provided. My thanks again to you all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blu-by-U For This Useful Post:
humfrz (02-04-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 09:52 PM   #6
Hanni_0176

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'd highly recommend reading the each of the sub categories in the tech forums (engine, tuning, forced induction, etc) and learn about what's out there for our cars. There is more than enough information available at this point, just a matter of finding the time to read through it.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:43 AM   #7
kevman_101

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
With a header and tune, you can gain a nice amount of power and help the mid range a TON!!! If you haven`t seen any dyno sheets yet, you will see there is a big dip in the mid range. A simple header fixes most of it, but a tune helps get the most out of it.

Stock intake is pretty good already and a simple drop in filter gives 75% of the gains at 25% the cost of a full intake.

For handling, get a new set of tires first and foremost hehehe. It will feel like you bought another new car. You can head down in the suspension section and a few users there like CSR Racing, have great tips on getting your suspension dialed in to your needs.

And congrats on your new car. It might not be a straight line monster, but it always puts a big smile on your face, even when you get out dragged by a Grand Caravan hehehe.
kevman_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kevman_101 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (03-06-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 06:57 PM   #8
Blu-by-U
Some Dumb Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Start with cosmetic stuff and then tell us what you are unhappy with. Acceleration? Turn in? Twitchy rear end?

Otherwise I would just cruise the tech subforums and read, read read. Even if you don't plan on tracking, there is a lot of knowledge in those forums (the RCE/CSG suspension thread and the CSG track question thread in particular).

Spirited runs on a road track are the goal (not to mention great canyon runs, when available, or riverside). No plans to run with the kids, but I do enjoy nice curves. Long straights have been less than exciting as (in my opinion) the front end lifts (doesn't feel planted), maybe it's the road, although super slab is usually pretty good. Not willing to divulge my cruse speed, but let's just assume that double nickels REALLY, REALLY, REALLY suck. Don't care about glitz or glamour, just want to hug the road tighter than I would hug my lady.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blu-by-U For This Useful Post:
Rio (03-15-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #9
Porsche

Drives: 2013 BRZ Ltd. MT
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Long straights have been less than exciting as (in my opinion) the front end lifts (doesn't feel planted),
Yes. Or, to put it another way, 120 mph is a bit more exciting than I would like.

The front end gets up and "floats," which is especially noticeable into a strong headwind. It's unsettling and a bit unnerving.

Other drivers have noted that the hood appears to be trying to lift up off the car at speed. One of the German auto magazines (I think) said that there is measurable front end lift at speed.

You're not alone.

Last edited by Porsche; 02-17-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:33 PM   #10
humfrz

Quote:
Spirited runs on a road track are the goal (not to mention great canyon runs, when available, or riverside). No plans to run with the kids, but I do enjoy nice curves. Long straights have been less than exciting as (in my opinion) the front end lifts (doesn't feel planted), maybe it's the road, although super slab is usually pretty good. Not willing to divulge my cruse speed, but let's just assume that double nickels REALLY, REALLY, REALLY suck. Don't care about glitz or glamour, just want to hug the road tighter than I would hug my lady.
Well, first off, "old dog" (your words .... ) you're too damn old to be driving over 100 mph in a car ....

If you don't buy that, just glance over at your lady's face, the next time you are trying to set the local land speed record.....

OK, stubborn, if your dead set on "flying" with your FR-S ..... maybe a lower, tighter suspension would help. Better tires would help keep it from "lift off". And some aero tupperware on the front lip might help keep the nose down.

Attached Images

Blu-by-U (02-18-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 09:23 PM   #11
Blu-by-U
Some Dumb Guy

Is there a thread about areas that have fun roads or particular roads (Tail of the Dragon) in general, to drive?
Old 03-06-2014, 12:06 AM   #12
humfrz

Quote:
Is there a thread about areas that have fun roads or particular roads (Tail of the Dragon) in general, to drive?
I haven't found one on this forum.....

Why don't you start one ......

[ame]http://youtu.be/JcuvcvZpSNY[/ame]

humfrz
Blu-by-U (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 12:10 AM   #13
86-tundra
Troll Hunter

Drives: fr-s, tundra
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)