follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List
whiteout86monogram

Old 07-06-2014, 10:43 PM   #141
Quentin

Drives: ‘16 4Runner, ‘19 Corolla HB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yeah, that doesn't look super secure with the gripper that close to the bottom bracket. My Thule Big Mouth usually clamps my 29er's on the upper half of the midpoint on the down tube. I was never really pleased with that setup, either, though.
Quentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:04 AM   #142
pom

Drives: black brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
yeah that was exactly my thought, i might buy the yakima frontloader
pom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:18 AM   #143
FRSToyota86

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
This is awesome
Vortech V3 Supercharger| 12 PSI|E85 MotoEast Flexfuel kit|Crawford AOS| Mishimoto Oil Cooler|3"Perrin Resonated CBE| 3" JDL Front/Over Pipe|OpenFlash Performance Headers|Exedy Stage 2 Ceramic Clutch |Yonaka Coilovers|17x9 O.Z. Wheels| 245/40r/17|TRD Brake Pads|Perrin Master Cylinder Brace |ChaseBay SSBrake Lines|CF Side Fins|OEM Shark Fin Athena|Yospeed Console Plaque|R/T Shift Knob|Fog Lights|Backup Camera|Navigation| |TRD Quickshifter|Motul Gear Oil|
FRSToyota86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:52 AM   #144
Warex

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Is the 1UP the only bike rack that will perfectly center the bike in between the bars?

It looks like lost of the Thule or Yakima racks tend to have the front bar almost directly under the front wheel which shifts the whole bike to one side of the car.
Warex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:22 AM   #145
SOAZ

Drives: pinto
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
Sounds like 1UP changed the dimensions of the lower bracket because there is 4-5mm of space on mine where they fit into the channel. If I run another batch, I'll be sure to make an adjustment to the dimensions. Thanks for pointing this out guys!
If you do another batch, I'd be in.
SOAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:12 AM   #146
that_guy
Dances with Cones

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warex View Post
Is the 1UP the only bike rack that will perfectly center the bike in between the bars?

It looks like lost of the Thule or Yakima racks tend to have the front bar almost directly under the front wheel which shifts the whole bike to one side of the car.
I think by design the 1UP is more flexible, especially since it connects in the same way to both the front and rear wheels. Other brands force the bike into a predetermined cradle and it's that reason that the bike does not sit center on the back of the car. Also, remember that these are all supposed to be for roof rack application. The overhang of the back wheel on some kits could be by design for weight distribution over the top of the car. The 1UP roof rack can be adapted into a hitch design if needed by 1UP, which gives you the flexibility to mount however you see fit.

I have both the roof rack and hitch mount for my cars. Not one single issue to this date. I don't work for them but man do I love their rack!
Old 08-25-2014, 11:21 AM   #147
pixel86

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram Whiteout MT
@that_guy any plans for another batch in the near future?
pixel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pixel86 For This Useful Post:
FRSNewb (08-25-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 11:48 PM   #148
snodgrass

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixel86 View Post

I'd be in, too!
snodgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:50 AM   #149
that_guy
Dances with Cones

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixel86 View Post
Possibly. I've been mulling over an idea presented to me via a forum member here to offer them through an ebay store or something similar. It's extremely difficult to arrange everything through email and PM here on the forums, so this might be the better option. Production isn't an issue, it's the time it takes to process everyone.

Probably looking at end of 2014 or early 2015 though. I'm still recovering financially from moving into a new house and trying to keep the FR-S funded as it sits in the garage. I know, first world problems.

Stay tuned and to those who have come up with their own clever variations, keep them coming!
Old 08-26-2014, 09:41 AM   #150
pixel86

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram Whiteout MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
Possibly. I've been mulling over an idea presented to me via a forum member here to offer them through an ebay store or something similar. It's extremely difficult to arrange everything through email and PM here on the forums, so this might be the better option. Production isn't an issue, it's the time it takes to process everyone.

Probably looking at end of 2014 or early 2015 though. I'm still recovering financially from moving into a new house and trying to keep the FR-S funded as it sits in the garage. I know, first world problems.

Stay tuned and to those who have come up with their own clever variations, keep them coming!
Ok awesome will look forward to it! thread subscribed. I'm in the same boat, just bought a house so mods on the FR-S currently on the hold but definitely need something to take my bike around vs putting it in the trunk.

Thanks again man!
pixel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pixel86 For This Useful Post:
that_guy (09-03-2014)
Old 09-06-2014, 08:50 AM   #151
toyokid

Drives: Grey GT86 OZ Velas
I would like some.

Thanks
toyokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:15 PM   #152
JustDrive

Drives: 2014 Asphalt Gray FR-S MT
Definitely interested as well. My car and my bike are my two babies. But I hate to see one get dirty because of the other. Looks like an awesome design. Thanks for building them.
JustDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:28 PM   #153
ollepellijeff
Thule Dude

Drives: Scion FR-S
Garage
I'd buy a set as well if you make another batch. An alternative to manage the purchases and billing etc would be to put it on Kickstarter. They charge a five percent haircut on the funds but perhaps worth it.
ollepellijeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:52 AM   #154
that_guy
Dances with Cones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollepellijeff View Post
I'd buy a set as well if you make another batch. An alternative to manage the purchases and billing etc would be to put it on Kickstarter. They charge a five percent haircut on the funds but perhaps worth it.
That's an idea. I'll have to look into it. I've been kind of doing it on the side, taking payments until I have enough and then making an order. But my whole goal is to have a little stock so that when you guys want them, it's not a month later you receive them. I even studied using different suppliers and materials earlier this year, but in the end, what and who I was using was the fastest, strongest, longest lasting, and lowest cost option in Canada.

Stay tuned guys and thanks for the continued interest. If I can get this to work, I'll run off another batch. Just so everyone is aware, the going rate is $200 CDN plus shipping. I'm trying my best to get that down, but that seems to be where it all comes out after production and shipping to me.