follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 01-08-2022, 09:08 AM   #99
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsky View Post
That's over on the GR86 forum in the Subaru section. The Subaru engineers have already been called into action on this one. They are throwing everything at it to resolve the issue.
It ended up being very bad fuel. Which makes sense because it began just after he had filled up.
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blighty For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (01-08-2022), DylanJZA (06-25-2022), Midnightsky (01-08-2022)
Old 01-08-2022, 12:40 PM   #100
Midnightsky

Drives: 2022 BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blighty View Post
It ended up being very bad fuel. Which makes sense because it began just after he had filled up.
It's unfortunate that this happens, probably more often than anyone realizes but thankfully it was caught immediately and hopefully zero damage was done.
Midnightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Midnightsky For This Useful Post:
Blighty (01-08-2022)
Old 01-09-2022, 12:17 AM   #101
tenderization

Drives: 88 RX-7, 2022 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Carplay was pretty solid for about ~1500 miles, maybe one or two spurious disconnects, but today it would refuse to connect, saying something like "could not communicate with Apple device." Started working again finally after a factory reset in the head unit settings. Not sure what would have caused it; I did recently connect my car to Wi-Fi for the first time, though when I looked in the software updates section the automatically download updates option was off.
tenderization is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 07:16 AM   #102
Rossman

Drives: '22 BRZ, '17 BRZ (prev '13 FR-S)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderization View Post
Carplay was pretty solid for about ~1500 miles, maybe one or two spurious disconnects, but today it would refuse to connect, saying something like "could not communicate with Apple device." Started working again finally after a factory reset in the head unit settings. Not sure what would have caused it; I did recently connect my car to Wi-Fi for the first time, though when I looked in the software updates section the automatically download updates option was off.

This is what I got when I first tried to pair my new iphone. After restarting the phone several times, and the car several times, it just started working.
Rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 08:39 AM   #103
86-75309

Drives: Until recently, a 2020 Hakone 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsky View Post
It's unfortunate that this happens, probably more often than anyone realizes but thankfully it was caught immediately and hopefully zero damage was done.
Sometimes it's very VERY bad fuel.
https://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news...to-repair-shop
86-75309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 12:07 PM   #104
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86-75309 View Post
but that only works if one saves their gas receipts.

seen a couple people try to go back with just their bank phone app and argue with the gas station attendants that the $25 charge was them filling up. it's pretty easy to spend $25 many different ways at gas stations anymore.

i've worked on gas pumps. i've seen the operating state most pumps are in. also have had to argue with the owners over the comparably miniscule bills for those repairs. my pump receipt always goes into the center console until the next time i fill up.
Midnightsky (01-09-2022)
Old 01-09-2022, 01:16 PM   #105
Midnightsky

Drives: 2022 BRZ WRB
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
but that only works if one saves their gas receipts.

seen a couple people try to go back with just their bank phone app and argue with the gas station attendants that the $25 charge was them filling up. it's pretty easy to spend $25 many different ways at gas stations anymore.

i've worked on gas pumps. i've seen the operating state most pumps are in. also have had to argue with the owners over the comparably miniscule bills for those repairs. my pump receipt always goes into the center console until the next time i fill up.
This is a good idea, I need to start doing this.
Midnightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 01:57 PM   #106
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
it really started for me about 10-ish years ago, back when fuel first spiked above $4/gal and everyone lost their minds. there was a major rash of bad fuel stories in my area during that time for about 6 months, where a lot of the ma and pa gas places went with discount fuels and outdated equipment, or people were going to places with old fuel at the older/lower prices.

i was still paying cash at the time for a lot of my fuel for other reasons, and ended up standing uncomfortably in line for a lot of those scenario's of bad gas, and customers swearing that this random bank charge that could've just as easily been sunglasses, and a losing lottery ticket, was in fact 5.03 gallons of gas that caused thousands of dollars of repair costs to the fuel system of their vehicles..

it doesn't cost me anything extra to toss the receipt in the center console, and i always immediately toss the previous gas receipt once i have the new one in hand, so there's never extra garbage floating around in my console either. of course, i've never had a case of bad gas, but after working around the equipment, i consider it more out of sheer luck than anything i'm doing to prevent it.
Midnightsky (01-09-2022)
Old 01-09-2022, 04:15 PM   #107
brzsgal

Drives: 2022 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossman View Post
Just to follow up with my last post about CarPlay, I spoke to my dealer and they said they have heard complaints about this with iphones that have the Waze app installed. He suggested trying to remove it and seeing if that makes a difference.

For now I just went into CarPlay setup on the iphone and customized it to remove waze from the list of available apps. I will see if that works before trying to remove Waze altogether.

Just wondered if other people out there with the CarPlay problem *also* have Waze installed? @emce @diga
Ah... Glad to know that it's not just me that have issues particularly when Waze it running. Waze would stop working properly during a navigation session. Occasionally CarPlay would crash and restart completely.

Also ran into the blinker issue yesterday. The car is about 1k km in...
brzsgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:02 PM   #108
Panda Grahams

Drives: '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Had CarPlay disconnect for about 2 minutes, today. Strange...

Anyone notice a strange pattern to the turn signal blinking? Almost like a triplet beat? Blink - blink - blinkblink - blink. I just noticed it, today.
Panda Grahams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:07 PM   #109
suhhh

Drives: 2022 WRB Limited 6 Speed
Carplay has been acting up a lot more recently, however I've had similar issues with disconnecting/not recognizing the phone with other cars that had carplay. Usually this is because of the phone not being fully up to date in terms of software. If you haven't updated yet I highly recommend updating first and seeing if it fixes the issue, I'm currently updating mine.
suhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 04:17 PM   #110
ninjan00dles

Drives: 2015 FRS
Carplay can be sensitive to cheap cables as well. I had some freezing/crashing issues and switched to a genuine apple cable and it hasn't crashed since
ninjan00dles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 04:28 PM   #111
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjan00dles View Post
Carplay can be sensitive to cheap cables as well. I had some freezing/crashing issues and switched to a genuine apple cable and it hasn't crashed since

Same here. I was using a shorty 3rd party cable and ran into disconnects. My apple cable is fine so far, but I had to zip tie it in a bundle or it would get stuck in the lid mechanism.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 02:29 PM   #112
groovymoonbear

Drives: ‘22 CWP BRZ LTD 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjan00dles View Post
If anyone is curious, there are cables that are “MFi” or “Made for iPhone” which is a licensed thing from Apple that these companies follow to make their cables and they’re often better than OEM Apple ones - main reasoning is the apple ones don’t perform well when twisted or at an angle which is most of the use in a car.

I usually would go off of the third party ones they sell in an Apple store and they have multiple companies which make cables with little pieces that allow them to flex more and some are nylon braided - main thing is they have longer warranties than the apple cables and that’s what you want.
groovymoonbear is offline   Reply With Quote