follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-05-2019, 03:09 AM   #15
timothyuccanberra

Drives: Gt86 2013 gts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just had this problem and fixed it by reading this. Damn relay lol.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
timothyuccanberra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 02:33 PM   #16
jess'sfrs
Jess'sfrs

Drives: 2015 frs, 2020 BRZ
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
To identify relays, you should refer to this picture:
i know this is a very old thread but.. im having this problem and trying to follow this thread and fix it myself but need some more help. Maybe i'm not seeing it but which relay is the A/C compressor or the one you need to replace/switch with the horn? help
jess'sfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 02:47 PM   #17
dasting

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The one labeled HEATER relay, far left.

So swap with the one labeled "horn" and see if the horn works. If it does, then the relay isn't the issue. I just had to go through this last week because my AC suddenly stopped working. Relay and fuse both checked out. Both high and low pressure side AC lines were super easy to pinch, so I started filling up the system with refrigerant. Low and behold, I could immediately start hearing a hiss, and located a crack in the condensor, right in the middle, where clearly a rock hit it. FYI - the system has a pressure switch, if the pressure is too low, it will not kick on the compressor (so as not to damage the compressor).

If relay and fuse are both good - start looking for a leak. Chances are if the AC system went from working awesome to not working at all, you have a big leak somewhere.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:38 AM   #18
msamaro

Drives: GT86
Hi everyone, I know it's an old thread but I'm not sure whether I should create a new one.

The compressor of my air conditioning keeps turning ON and OFF every 5-10 seconds. I can actually see the pulley disconnecting and connecting all the time.

I took the car to the local dealership and they did not find any leaks in the system. They said the compressor is fine and that the problem may be the temperature sensor in the cabin but in order to check it, they have to dismount the dashboard.

Does anyone in here had a similar problem? If yes, how did you solve it?

Thanks
msamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 03:28 PM   #19
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Does it blow cold?

Is the cabin air filter clean?

If you have good airflow, does the behavior change (improve) with windows open and fan set to max?

edit: Problem Symptoms Table

There is a section in the manual devoted to invoking a diagnostic mode and interpreting the results. Rapid engagement/disengagement of the compressor may indicate over-pressure on the high side. I've read about a failure of the cooler expansion valve causing this. Basic troubleshooting skill and tools will reveal the issue and I suggest verifying that before tearing apart the dashboard.

Last edited by Ultramaroon; 07-31-2021 at 03:57 PM.
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-01-2021)
Old 07-31-2021, 05:12 PM   #20
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,164 Times in 3,461 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
Much time has passed but did the OPs horn ever work again?
Nah, never worked again . Just frozen..
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JD001 For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (07-31-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 01:40 AM   #21
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,795 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Does it blow cold?

If you have good airflow, does the behavior change (improve) with windows open and fan set to max?

There is a section in the manual devoted to invoking a diagnostic mode and interpreting the results. Rapid engagement/disengagement of the compressor may indicate over-pressure on the high side. I've read about a failure of the cooler expansion valve causing this. Basic troubleshooting skill and tools will reveal the issue and I suggest verifying that before tearing apart the dashboard.
WOW! Great informative post -

(those fiber pills must be working - )
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (08-01-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 01:57 AM   #22
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
(those fiber pills must be working - )
I can think so much more clearly now. It's amazing.
Old 08-01-2021, 03:07 AM   #23
msamaro

Drives: GT86
Quote:
Does it blow cold?

Thanks for the reply!

Sadly I don't think that any of the symptoms in this table correspond to my situation.

I have good air flow and the air is sufficiently cold. When I stick it to manual control I don't hear the clutch of the compressor every 5 seconds. It stays permanently ON.

Only when I stick in AUTO control, I can hear the compressor clutch engaging and disengaging every 5 seconds. I think this is why the guy at the garage said that there must be something wrong with the temperature sensor in the cabin.
msamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 01:43 PM   #24
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamaro View Post
Thanks for the reply!

Sadly I don't think that any of the symptoms in this table correspond to my situation.

I have good air flow and the air is sufficiently cold. When I stick it to manual control I don't hear the clutch of the compressor every 5 seconds. It stays permanently ON.

Only when I stick in AUTO control, I can hear the compressor clutch engaging and disengaging every 5 seconds. I think this is why the guy at the garage said that there must be something wrong with the temperature sensor in the cabin.
Sounds like your guy is going down the right path. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 03-07-2023, 10:07 AM   #25
dssence

Drives: Toyota FT/MT 86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
So I came to this thread, checking for AC clutch engages and disengages. This is what is hapenning to me on my FT 86. Yesterday I went to start my car, which i'm not taking out for a long time. Most of the time I just go to my garage to start it , and take it for a ride just to refuel. Hard time here.
So like I always do I just start it , and I always check lights, etc, turn on the AC . then I started to hear a click.. at 2000rpm. I always idle it at around 2000rpm to charge battery for 15 minutes. Open up the hood and saw the ac clutch engaging and disengaging not instantly but every now and then, and when this happens I hear the radiator fan like kicking in and then stops revsd falling a bit . This left me really sad and worried. My ac is manual my ft it's base. Now my questions are

- I got my car for around 10 years never changed coolant on the compresor . Couple days ago temperature here reached around 45 C. Maybe this affected coolant.

- Dust on the belt pulley

- Thought about faulty relay, or fuse.

- I never changed car radiator refrigerant as it's quite specific , or water.

- Haven't done oil change since I got it. ( it's 2000km on dash)

- should I disconnect battery to reset ECU ?

So asking for all your help so I can calm down, I can't sleep since yesterday. Never had any problems.
dssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 10:15 AM   #26
dssence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packofcrows View Post
Thank you. My ac kicks in and off too much. I know at start it's ok for first few seconds but it did it for 20min I had it idling. Relay was bad. Now to find a replacement

Friend this started happening yesterday to me out of nothing and I can't sleep of how nervious I am. What exactly did it happen to you. This happened to me out of nothing. I was thinking on switching the horn relay to the AC ( which is the heater relay). Also which relay brand did you buy and amperes. Thanks, if you can message me.
Old 03-07-2023, 11:53 AM   #27
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssence View Post
So asking for all your help so I can calm down, I can't sleep since yesterday. Never had any problems.
It is perfectly ok. That is how the compressor should cycle. Notice that if you turn the blower on high, the compressor stays engaged longer. There is a temperature sensor on the evaporator in the cabin. If it gets too cold, the compressor disengages.

I recommend a battery tender instead of expecting the alternator to charge the battery well enough in storage.
Old 03-08-2023, 05:53 PM   #28
dssence

Quote:
It is perfectly ok. That is how the compressor should cycle. Notice that if you turn the blower on high, the compressor stays engaged longer. There is a temperature sensor on the evaporator in the cabin. If it gets too cold, the compressor disengages.

I recommend a battery tender instead of expecting the alternator to charge the battery well enough in storage.

Hi mate thanks for answering, apologias I didn't answer before I wasn't notified of the reply. But anyways I'm thinking something might have gone bad. Every time I've been starting my car I never heard this click ( of the ac clutch engaging and disengaging) . This as soon as I revved to around 2000rpm started getting worse, click- click , every 15-20 seconds never had this happen before. And all the time I used the AC. So either gas coolant inside the compressor has lost pressure, bad relay , or what about this sensor inside the cabin.

where is it located so I can spot it . Maybe it got some dust or something. Anyways next time I'm going to start my car hope this problem goes away. but my head has been spinning about all possible scenarios. Again thanks for taking your time and helping