follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 06-15-2021, 06:22 PM   #1
projek_01

Drives: 1996 ST204, Series 10 FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Adding Steering Wheel Controls to my 2013

I am starting a project to add steering wheel controls to my car. It is my biggest pet peeve on this car because I find myself getting distracted looking at my touch screen.

I thought about getting the new 2017+ steering wheel but that will be expensive especially with the different air bag and clockspring.

So here we go, I am starting to model the OEM bezel in SolidWorks so I can 3D print a new one. For now, I am still working on the sizing and fitment of the original design.

A 20+ hour print... Using my crappy filament. The quality is horrific but I guess it doesn't matter because I will go through a few revisions at the very least.

I am fairly happy with the first try. I will go home and try to install it. I can tell that a few spots are off by a few millimeters already.

Once I am done with that, I will then add the spots where these wireless steering wheel controls can go. I have my eyes on these which are fairly cheap from the usual chinese sellers.

This is my end goal. I hope to mount these wireless controls like how the engine start/drive select buttons are mounted on a Audi R8.
Old 06-20-2021, 06:51 PM   #2
projek_01

Made a few steps forward in this project.

I have the prototype sketched up and ready to print once I have the wireless buttons.

These are the buttons that should do the trick.

I am also working on the interface that will translate the signals that my Kenwood DNX905S head unit will understand with an arduino.
Old 06-20-2021, 08:49 PM   #3
Tachy

Drives: None
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Looks like a fun project and a creative idea to add the features onto the wheel.. Perfect application for 3d printing. Curious to see your integration
Tachy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tachy For This Useful Post:
projek_01 (06-20-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 04:56 AM   #4
geraldjust

Drives: MR2, Sliver BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
this looks like a really cool project! i would recommend flattening out the front face so you can print it face down on the build plate. and just add supports on the screw post needed etc. if you have the stl files publicly available i would love to try and print out one myself. i also have a 3d scanner if you need a model to guide you on some of the dimensions.
Old 06-28-2021, 04:20 PM   #5
Trist0n

Drives: FRS 10 Series
This is actually genius! My Joying HU has wireless controls that strap to the wheel, I’d love a model I can modify to fit them and print one ☝��
Trist0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 01:42 AM   #6
projek_01

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldjust View Post
this looks like a really cool project! i would recommend flattening out the front face so you can print it face down on the build plate. and just add supports on the screw post needed etc. if you have the stl files publicly available i would love to try and print out one myself. i also have a 3d scanner if you need a model to guide you on some of the dimensions.
I didn't choose to do that because I want to retain the curves of the factory trim. Making it flat would not look that great. I did however ended up printing it upside down so the clips and screw posts print a lot neater/stronger. The front face on a bed of narrow support structures prints fine. On my final revision, I will lower the layer height and potentially upgrade my cooling fan to help with the surface finish over support structures.

It's no so bad because I already have a newer revision installed currently that I just quickly skim coated with epoxy, sanded and painted. It looks pretty good for the minimal amount of effort that I put in. Thanks for the tip though!

I bought an XBOX Kinect sensor (with scanning software) to help with this project but I didn't get a chance to set it up yet. I ended up doing a bunch of measurements and revisions to get it right manually. I think I am pretty close now. I will tweak it some more once my wireless controls actually arrive. Thanks for the offer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trist0n View Post
This is actually genius! My Joying HU has wireless controls that strap to the wheel, I’d love a model I can modify to fit them and print one ☝��
I can let you know once I have a model that fits pretty well. All I ask is that you do not share it without my permission. I do plan to sell this to some locals on my FB group.

Last edited by projek_01; 07-02-2021 at 01:55 AM.
projek_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 06:30 PM   #7
Trist0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by projek_01 View Post
I didn't choose to do that because I want to retain the curves of the factory trim. Making it flat would not look that great. I did however ended up printing it upside down so the clips and screw posts print a lot neater/stronger. The front face on a bed of narrow support structures prints fine. On my final revision, I will lower the layer height and potentially upgrade my cooling fan to help with the surface finish over support structures.

It's no so bad because I already have a newer revision installed currently that I just quickly skim coated with epoxy, sanded and painted. It looks pretty good for the minimal amount of effort that I put in. Thanks for the tip though!

I bought an XBOX Kinect sensor (with scanning software) to help with this project but I didn't get a chance to set it up yet. I ended up doing a bunch of measurements and revisions to get it right manually. I think I am pretty close now. I will tweak it some more once my wireless controls actually arrive. Thanks for the offer!

I can let you know once I have a model that fits pretty well. All I ask is that you do not share it without my permission. I do plan to sell this to some locals on my FB group.
No worries, not a big proponent of stealing work. I just want a better mount for my controls that doesn’t interfere with turning! I’d been working on something kinda like this, but replacing the whole fascia was very smart!
Old 07-03-2021, 01:10 PM   #8
Jonboy73

Drives: Toyota GT86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I dont suppose you know if these controls will work on a OEM HU??
Jonboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 10:02 AM   #9
projek_01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy73 View Post
I dont suppose you know if these controls will work on a OEM HU??
Unless this OEM HU was used in another vehicle with factory steering wheel controls, then unfortunately not.
Old 08-06-2021, 04:06 PM   #10
projek_01

After endless failed prints, weak tabs, tweaks and different brands of filament. I think I am finally content enough with this one.

Old 08-08-2021, 11:24 AM   #11
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
do you have a link to the buttons you're using?

i like the idea, but have a different thought on how to mount things
Old 08-08-2021, 03:19 PM   #12
Trist0n

Quote:
After endless failed prints, weak tabs, tweaks and different brands of filament. I think I am finally content enough with this one.

Looks great!! Is the final version here different from the version you emailed a few of us?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2021, 12:37 PM   #13
projek_01

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
do you have a link to the buttons you're using?

i like the idea, but have a different thought on how to mount things
Yeah, just search wireless steering wheel control on AliExpress. They are designed to work with chinese android head units but there are ways to adapt the signal. I have started this for JVC/Kenwood but haven't finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trist0n View Post
Looks great!! Is the final version here different from the version you emailed a few of us?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope, this version has some tweeks. Let me know if you want the pod included in the file or nah.
Old 08-09-2021, 12:48 PM   #14
Trist0n

Quote:
Yeah, just search wireless steering wheel control on AliExpress. They are designed to work with chinese android head units but there are ways to adapt the signal. I have started this for JVC/Kenwood but haven't finished.

Nope, this version has some tweeks. Let me know if you want the pod included in the file or nah.
Pod file would be nice, the controls I intend on using are similar but larger; they’re the Joying head unit controls that strap to the wheel. I can modify to suit
The Following User Says Thank You to Trist0n For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (08-09-2021)