follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-11-2016, 07:35 AM   #57
Riftur

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by migueralliart View Post
You obviously never commuted on i95 in FL :P

Min Speed here is like 80mph
Its 80+ and I do it every day. Its not going to hurt your car though. 3.5k rpm is not bad for this engine. If you were over 4.5k i would be more worried. Your best bet is 16 inch rims with a tire with more sidewall. It will soften the ride. I wouldnt worry about the engine at those speeds. If your really worried about your engine change your oil more often then the suggested 7.5k miles.
Riftur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 04:43 PM   #58
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@Ultramaroon. My wife has a '12 V-6 Camry SE. The powerplant is seductive, but between the crummy seats and suspension's inability to deal with sharp edged bumps, the Subarota is substantially more comfortable. All I'm looking to do is add an armrest.
Ultramaroon (03-11-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 05:01 PM   #59
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Would like to hear your thoughts. Especially the people here that commute long distances at such speeds.
My favorite cheap mod, by far, has been my Rexpeed convex mirrors. The slight tint helps prevent me from being blinded by jacked-up trucks behind me, and the shape of the mirrors completely eliminates all blind spots. Definitely an advantage for lots of highway driving. http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/rexp...rrors-852.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4lvinnn View Post
I'm from Texas. Our posted limits are 85. We go at least 90 either way
I mean...that's exaggerating a bit. We have *one* stretch of *one* toll road that's 85mph. And most people cruise around 80-85 on I-10 between Houston and SA, even in the quietest parts. Driving at 90+ makes you a cop magnet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
I think OP should measure temps to see for sure. I know I need one for the way I drive my car.
What temps are you seeing? Because on a track after a 30min session between 5-7k rpm, I peak at 260*F which, while high, is not terrible. Highway driving, even in the hottest Texas summer, gets me to around 225*f.

So wtf are you doing to need an oil cooler when you're not on the track?
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kch For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (03-11-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 05:06 PM   #60
c4lvinnn

Drives: Toyobaruion
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kch View Post

I mean...that's exaggerating a bit. We have *one* stretch of *one* toll road that's 85mph. And most people cruise around 80-85 on I-10 between Houston and SA, even in the quietest parts. Driving at 90+ makes you a cop magnet.
I'm exaggerating a bit because this whole thread is about exaggeration. It's like driving on the highway in 2016 for 2 hours a day will somehow explode your car.
c4lvinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:06 PM   #61
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kch View Post

What temps are you seeing? Because on a track after a 30min session between 5-7k rpm, I peak at 260*F which, while high, is not terrible. Highway driving, even in the hottest Texas summer, gets me to around 225*f.

So wtf are you doing to need an oil cooler when you're not on the track?
A mix of high rpm driving and traffic so there probably no air flow to my rad getting the car really hot. I usually saw 240F just about every day by the time I got home
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:40 PM   #62
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
@Ultramaroon. My wife has a '12 V-6 Camry SE. The powerplant is seductive, but between the crummy seats and suspension's inability to deal with sharp edged bumps, the Subarota is substantially more comfortable. All I'm looking to do is add an armrest.
Yeah. Nothing actually wrong with our 03 Camry. It's in great shape. #propermaintenance

It's a great cross-town people mover but those seats...
Old 03-11-2016, 09:44 PM   #63
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm exaggerating a bit because this whole thread is about exaggeration..
NOOOO ....... not ALL of us are from Texas ..........

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-11-2016), Ultramaroon (03-11-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 10:58 PM   #64
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Okay, I'm NOT exaggerating when I say that I drive 2000 to 2500 miles per month. My boss capped my miles in the BRZ at 1200 per month (to keep me from actually making money off my mileage reimbursement), so now I drive it two weeks a month and rent from Enterprise the other two weeks.

With that in mind, I have a few comments:

Quote:
... and the car has very low mileage for being a 13' model.
You're missing about 11 inches off your car!

Quote:
You obviously never commuted on i95 in FL :P
Actually, I have. I've also commuted on I-95 in Virginia, DC, Maryland, Pennsylvania and New York. I've commuted in Providence, Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Raleigh, Charlotte, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Daytona, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ft. Myers, TSP, Tallahassee, Mobile, Birmingham, Nashville, Chattanooga, Knoxville, Chicago, Minneapolis, Omaha, Kansas City, St. Louis, Fayetteville AR, Little Rock, Shreveport, Monroe LA, New Orleans, Lafayette, Lake Charles, Beaumont, Houston, Corpus Christi, Brownsville, McAllen, Laredo, San Antonio, Austin, Temple, Waco, Dallas, Lubbock, El Paso, Santa Fe NM, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Wichita, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Toronto, Ottawa and probably a few I'm forgetting. I laugh at your puny I-95 in Florida, with your flat straight pavement without ice.

Quote:
I'm from Texas. Our posted limits are 85. We go at least 90 either way. still under 4k RPMs.

your car isn't going to explode because you drive at 4k RPMs for an hour for a commute.
This is true. I now live in Austin and run down 130 to Seguin about once a month to Corpus. Out there all the traffic passes you if you go the posted speed limit of 85 mph, and the only pigs you'll normally see are the feral hogs that run out in traffic and obliterate a car every now and then.

Quote:
Invest in a oil cooler so you can drive harder and not worry about your engine.
Don't do that. Don't do any of these mechanical mods on a car you intend to use as a long distance commuter unless you have a second reliable vehicle or a backup plan. Every one of the mechanical mods introduces a new point of potential failure and increases the likelihood that your car will end up out of commission one day when you really need to get to work an hour away. The main thing you want in a long-distance commuter car is reliability.

Quote:
IHeat is what kills engines not RPM's however RPM's do = heat. The stock rad is fine but the lack of an oil cooler is what should concern you.
Quote:
Actually I didn't think of the oil cooler. That is a MUCH better way to help with wear due to heat.

I totally understand that the car CAN be driven at such high rpms for extended periods of time but wear is higher with higher RPM and that's a FACT.
It's not a FACT. Like go_a_way1, I also send off my oil for analysis (I use Blackstone). Driving at 88 mph for hours at a time here in Texas has not increased my wear metals. The engine is wearing really, really well. I have laboratory evidence to back up what I'm saying.

Furthermore, highway speeds simply do not get your temp up anywhere near where it would make a difference. I monitor both my coolant and oil temps. Oil temp on Highway 130 usually stays around 215° to 220°. I actually see higher oil temps in 45 mph city traffic, when I'm speeding up and slowing down. What really kicks the temp up is downshifting. You have the completely wrong idea about what causes heat and wear.

Oil coolers are necessary on a track, where you keep the revs up high to stay in the power band. This car laughs at your notion that 90 mph in sixth gear on cruise on the highway will damage it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packofcrows View Post
butt cushion, arm rest, cruise control and quieter tires.
Finally, someone responds with something sensible.

The best mods on my car for long drives are the ones that improve comfort. I plugged the sound tube with the cigarette plug from the glove box. Then I installed the JDM padded knee rests, the USA sliding armrest (so I could still use the cupholders) and a set of Emdom seat belt pads, which are simply the best on the market hands down. I also made my own phone mount so I could more easily access my phone and tunes in the car.

The only other mod that really helps with multi-lane highway driving is a set of Rexpeed wide angle mirrors, although the blue tint has taken some getting used to. They virtually eliminate the lane-over blind spot that can get you killed on multi-lane highway in this car. I wish I had done that early on.

I also use a TapTurn with the strobe pack and LED turn signals. The TapTurn makes it a lot easier to get a tailgater's attention with the strobing hazards. Texas is a state filled almost entirely with assholes, so I need every advantage I can get.

And I got a plastic cereal container with a flip top lid for trash. It's amazing how much junk collects in the car when you drive it long distances. It's also amazing how much cleaner the car stays when you can just drop jerky wrappers, soda bottles, unneeded receipts, Starbucks stoppers, Alka Seltzer foil and all sorts of other junk in the cereal bin and empty it out when you get to the next hotel. If it starts to stink, you just crack up a couple of Alka Seltzer into the bottom of it, and the pieces suck up the smell.

These are the things known to true road warriors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
NOOOO ....... not ALL of us are from Texas ..........
The only thing that's really bigger in Texas is the disappointment. And Buccee's. And the assholes. But mostly the disappointment.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (03-11-2016), gravitylover (03-12-2016), humfrz (03-11-2016), imprezive (04-20-2019), jcw99 (03-12-2016), johan (03-14-2016), kch (03-12-2016), mdm (03-12-2016), soulreapersteve (03-12-2016), Tcoat (03-11-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 11:03 PM   #65
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Okay, I'm NOT exaggerating when I say that I drive 2000 to 2500 miles per month. My boss capped my miles in the BRZ at 1200 per month (to keep me from actually making money off my mileage reimbursement), so now I drive it two weeks a month and rent from Enterprise the other two weeks.

With that in mind, I have a few comments:

You're missing about 11 inches off your car!

Actually, I have. I've also commuted on I-95 in Virginia, DC, Maryland, Pennsylvania and New York. I've commuted in Providence, Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Raleigh, Charlotte, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Daytona, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ft. Myers, TSP, Tallahassee, Mobile, Birmingham, Nashville, Chattanooga, Knoxville, Chicago, Minneapolis, Omaha, Kansas City, St. Louis, Fayetteville AR, Little Rock, Shreveport, Monroe LA, New Orleans, Lafayette, Lake Charles, Beaumont, Houston, Corpus Christi, Brownsville, McAllen, Laredo, San Antonio, Austin, Temple, Waco, Dallas, Lubbock, El Paso, Santa Fe NM, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Wichita, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Toronto, Ottawa and probably a few I'm forgetting. I laugh at your puny I-95 in Florida, with your flat straight pavement without ice.

This is true. I now live in Austin and run down 130 to Seguin about once a month to Corpus. Out there all the traffic passes you if you go the posted speed limit of 85 mph, and the only pigs you'll normally see are the feral hogs that run out in traffic and obliterate a car every now and then.

Don't do that. Don't do any of these mechanical mods on a car you intend to use as a long distance commuter unless you have a second reliable vehicle or a backup plan. Every one of the mechanical mods introduces a new point of potential failure and increases the likelihood that your car will end up out of commission one day when you really need to get to work an hour away. The main thing you want in a long-distance commuter car is reliability.

It's not a FACT. Like go_a_way1, I also send off my oil for analysis (I use Blackstone). Driving at 88 mph for hours at a time here in Texas has not increased my wear metals. The engine is wearing really, really well. We both have actual, laboratory evidence to back up what we're saying.

Furthermore, highway speeds simply do not get your temp up anywhere near where it would make a difference. I monitor both my coolant and oil temps. Oil temp on Highway 130 usually stays around 215° to 220°. I actually see higher oil temps in 45 mph city traffic, when I'm speeding up and slowing down. What really kicks the temp up is downshifting. You have the completely wrong idea about what causes heat and wear.

Oil coolers are necessary on a track, where you keep the revs up high to stay in the power band. This car laughs at your notion that 90 mph in sixth gear on cruise on the highway will damage it.

Finally, someone responds with something sensible.

The best mods on my car for long drives are the ones that improve comfort. I plugged the sound tube with the cigarette plug from the dash. Then I installed the JDM padded knee rests, the USA sliding armrest (so I could still use the cupholders) and a set of Emdom seat belt pads, which are simply the best on the market hands down. I also made my own phone mount so I could more easily access my phone and tunes in the car.

The only other mod that really helps with multi-lane highway driving is a set of Rexpeed wide angle mirrors, although the blue tint has taken some getting used to. They virtually eliminate the lane-over blind spot that can get you killed on multi-lane highway in this car. I wish I had done that early on.

I also use a TapTurn with the strobe pack and LED turn signals. The TapTurn makes it a lot easier to get a tailgater's attention with the strobing hazards. Texas is a state filled almost entirely with assholes, so I need every advantage I can get.

And I got a plastic cereal container with a flip top lid for trash. It's amazing how much junk collects in the car when you drive it long distances. It's also amazing how much cleaner the car stays when you can just drop jerky wrappers, soda bottles, unneeded receipts, Starbucks stoppers, Alka Seltzer foil and all sorts of other junk in the cereal bin and empty it out when you get to the next hotel. If it starts to stink, you just crack up a couple of Alka Seltzer into the bottom of it, and the pieces suck up the smell.

These are the things known to true road warriors.

The only thing that's really bigger in Texas is the disappointment. And Buccee's. And the assholes. But mostly the disappointment.
fucking A+ now thats a post if I have ever seen one!!! Too bad we dont get this often around here
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to go_a_way1 For This Useful Post:
extrashaky (03-11-2016), imprezive (04-20-2019)
Old 03-11-2016, 11:12 PM   #66
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Okay,

Actually, I have. I've also commuted on I-95 in Virginia, DC, Maryland, Pennsylvania and New York. I've commuted in Providence, Boston, Philadelphia, ...............................
WOW ...... @extrashaky , you outdone yourself on that post ......

Part of it reminds me part of that old CW truck driver song .........

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-11-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 11:22 PM   #67
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
fucking A+ now thats a post if I have ever seen one!!! Too bad we dont get this often around here
We get them all the time. They just usually get buried in crap if people don't read them soon enough.
go_a_way1 (03-12-2016), Ultramaroon (03-12-2016)
Old 03-12-2016, 12:47 AM   #68
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,257 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
@extrashaky

Don't forget to wax and condition the paint as needed. I just go crazy after it's rinsed and apply liquid spray on wax then let sit for like 1min and dry. It makes it look brand new and refreshed.

I also hate when garbage piles up. My #1 dislike is the smell the extra garbage produces.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:53 AM   #69
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packofcrows View Post
@extrashaky

Don't forget to wax and condition the paint as needed. I just go crazy after it's rinsed and apply liquid spray on wax then let sit for like 1min and dry. It makes it look brand new and refreshed.
You would be reduced to a blithering fool here about 4 months of the year then!

45 minutes after a full wash.
Attached Images

ToySub1946 (03-12-2016)
Old 03-12-2016, 01:07 AM   #70
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
You would be reduced to a blithering fool here about 4 months of the year then!

45 minutes after a full wash.
YIKES! ....... between the looks of your car and a "vision" of @Packofcrows 's car with "dislike is the smell the extra garbage produces"............I'm thinking my car isn't all that dirty.......

(so, @Packofcrows a "little" garbage is OK ....... but the smell of the extra garbage is overcoming ...... ??)

humfrz
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-12-2016), Ultramaroon (03-12-2016)