follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 09-07-2014, 09:34 PM   #7379
PantsDants

Drives: Scion FR-S A/T, Whiteout
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
So on the topic of running lean, I've noticed that every time I hit boost, my AFR consistently reads > 1 point higher than my commanded AFR. I know it's been mentioned that the transition from closed to open loop takes some time, but wouldn't the ECU still be targeting closed loop AFR if it hadn't yet transitioned?

Check out this log to see what I'm talking about: http://datazap.me/u/pantsdants/9-7-t...2058&mark=2020

This is running on 92 octane, OFH + Nameless OP/FP, with the OpenFlash ESC 91 tune.

I plan to have my exhaust checked for leaks when I get my catback installed this week, just to rule out leaking in front of the O2 sensors. Failing that, what would be causing this discrepancy? I'm fairly certain this is contributing to the FLKC you can also see in the log. If it can be attributed to this closed to open loop transition, how do I minimize that? One thing I've already tried is modifying the closed loop AFR compensation tables to target 12.0 in the boost load ranges, but that had zero effect.

Any insight would be appreciated!
PantsDants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:35 PM   #7380
alex345
FRS610

Drives: Scion- Frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via MSN to alex345
Soon to join the community! thanks to @alexand3r will post updates when I get to install everything
alex345 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alex345 For This Useful Post:
alexand3r (09-09-2014)
Old 09-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #7381
alex345
FRS610

Garage
This has probably been asked already , can I install the TRD air box and plug it in the supercharger will it need any mods?
The Following User Says Thank You to alex345 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-08-2014)
Old 09-08-2014, 07:03 PM   #7382
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex345 View Post
This has probably been asked already , can I install the TRD air box and plug it in the supercharger will it need any mods?
You'll need to use the stock airbox as the Phantom compressor attaches directly to it. Get a drop-in filter if you want to make sure you have the least restriction at the airbox. TRD makes one, but really, even this is not required. The kit is plug and play with a stock car so you'll be good to go.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
alex345 (09-08-2014)
Old 09-08-2014, 07:05 PM   #7383
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Drives: Edelbrock Equipped - Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,682 Times in 581 Posts
Mentioned: 403 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex345 View Post
It has more to do with the transitions between PI/DI and DI along with Open Loop and Closed Loop. We have seen the same things in our tunes. The transition is very hard to dial in smooth so that it does not have this blip in the map.

Being these cars were designed around NA applications, I am sure they did not think about how to transition between no boost and boost. In EcuTeK we have created a couple custom maps to relieve this problem, though it was definitely and art to get them to work as we want.

Cheers,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning
DeliciousTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
alex345 (09-08-2014)
Old 09-08-2014, 07:17 PM   #7384
alex345
FRS610

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousTuning View Post
It has more to do with the transitions between PI/DI and DI along with Open Loop and Closed Loop. We have seen the same things in our tunes. The transition is very hard to dial in smooth so that it does not have this blip in the map.

Being these cars were designed around NA applications, I am sure they did not think about how to transition between no boost and boost. In EcuTeK we have created a couple custom maps to relieve this problem, though it was definitely and art to get them to work as we want.

Cheers,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning
I imagined, I will post updates and issues(hopefully none) as soon as I get my supercharger
Old 09-08-2014, 11:57 PM   #7385
Fast_Freddy

Drives: Passat
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
Looks great but you need a baseline to really see the gains. The curve looks awesome though

Here is a great baseline for VR46.

2013 FRS AT

Blue: Borla UEL, Tsudo catted front pipe, stock cat-back, 93, no tune.

Red: Borla UEL, Tsudo catted front pipe, stock cat-back, 93 with Visconti stage 2 tune.

It's exactly like his car except for the E85 and ESC.

Attached Images

Fast_Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:24 PM   #7386
Bu-Tang

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, Nissan Pathfinder
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Freddy View Post
Here is a great baseline for VR46.

2013 FRS AT

Blue: Borla UEL, Tsudo catted front pipe, stock cat-back, 93, no tune.

Red: Borla UEL, Tsudo catted front pipe, stock cat-back, 93 with Visconti stage 2 tune.

It's exactly like his car except for the E85 and ESC.

IMO a great baseline would be one from the same car, on the same dyno, plus-minus the mods you are trying to compare. Not directing this at you, through out this entire forum so many ppl compare dyno's from different cars from different locations, and its realistically inaccurate.
Bu-Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:30 PM   #7387
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bu-Tang View Post
IMO a great baseline would be one from the same car, on the same dyno, plus-minus the mods you are trying to compare. Not directing this at you, through out this entire forum so many ppl compare dyno's from different cars from different locations, and its realistically inaccurate.
Bench racing bro, totally legit.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:35 AM   #7388
Bu-Tang

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, Nissan Pathfinder
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
Bench racing bro, totally legit.
Lol yes, I agree

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Bu-Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:17 AM   #7389
Fast_Freddy

Drives: Passat
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Even in this glass house?

So maybe it isn't "realistically accurate" to compare the highest ever Phantom dyno results, obtained after hours of custom tuning, to low-end, canned-tune Innovate stage 1 results from a different car on a different dyno in different weather and make assumptions based on this inaccurate comparison?

I could agree with that.

Last edited by Fast_Freddy; 09-10-2014 at 04:31 AM.
Fast_Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:01 AM   #7390
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR46 View Post
Went to Ptuning today to have some dyno pulls done. I talked to the guy doing the pulls to let him know not to go WOT too low, he started off pretty easy and got a little more aggressive with each successive pull.

Please help me interpret these results:

Info - it was about 93 degrees out, approx 200 feet above sea level

My car: '13 BRZ AT
Borla UEL
Tsudo catted front pipe
Stock catback
OFT ESC E85 A01D tune v2.01 beta
Phantom ESC with 1.5 dump conversion

data log from one pull

am i doin' it right?
You did fine. But the dyno operator didn't really do a full pull. He doesn't go WOT until ~4k rpm which doesn't really paint a full picture. He was probably trying to avoid the 6AT automatically downshifting at the beginning of the run. But he could have avoided that by just pressing the accelerator right up to the point of the kick-down (and not beyond it).
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-10-2014)
Old 09-10-2014, 09:18 AM   #7391
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Freddy View Post
Even in this glass house?

So maybe it isn't "realistically accurate" to compare the highest ever Phantom dyno results, obtained after hours of custom tuning, to low-end, canned-tune Innovate stage 1 results from a different car on a different dyno in different weather and make assumptions based on this inaccurate comparison?

I could agree with that.
While I agree comparing dynos isn't a true judge of performnace... we all do it, and in most cases it is the only way to draw ANY conclusions, so I am okay with your comparison.

The main difference between the dynos in my opinion is the fact they are different brands. Dyno dynamics read low...very similar to mustangs. On a dyno dynamics I got 167hp with ecutek stage 1. Other cars were getting 155 to 160 stock.... And theses were MTs. Its pretty easy for a AT to get ten HP less that a MT....I figure in ptunings dyno a AT would get around 150hp....still looking for proof on that one though.

As far as my highest results....I'm running the same tune of everyone else....and shivs OTS tune is stronger than the custom tune that I got from BRZedit.

Looking forward to @Shiv@Openflash to try out the new tq300 that I have. Double the boost at redline makes a big difference when it's non parasitic.
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-10-2014)
Old 09-10-2014, 10:53 AM   #7392
GerryL

Drives: White BRZ
bypass for the track

I will be running a road course track event at Buttonwillow Raceway (central CA) in a few weeks and want to temporarily bypass the system for the weekend. I don't want to push the charging hardware limit and want consistent laps. I was going to just substitute my Perin inlet tube back in, and reflash back to stock. Do I need to change or reverse anything else to keep it running healthy. Can all the battery stuff and wiring stay in place for the ride as long as the switch is off?

I will also have unleaded race gas available and was wondering if anyone had run any of the other "stock" tunes that come with the OFT device and had any recommendations.
GerryL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive