follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 09-14-2017, 11:20 PM   #1
Hiko

Drives: 2016 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Review: RS*R Down Springs

I found it difficult to find any reviews or real information about these springs before deciding to pull the trigger and purchase them, so I figured I'd make this for the next person who may be interested in them.

To put in perspective what my goals were with this mod, I wanted something really subtle with a bit stiffer spring to take up the overdamped feel of the car. I was debating between these and the STi pink springs, but opted for these because I just couldn't get over the fact that I didn't know what the rates were for the pinks.

These were installed on stock shocks and I went ahead and put some SPC camber bolts on at the same time. No proper alignment yet, just maxed the camber (probably have some good toe in now.... )

So I seriously over thought the rates I went with for this mod. RSR down springs come in two flavors, FR-S spec and BRZ spec. Which did I go with? Well...both. I've summarized the RSR spring rates with the OEM rates below.

I ended up buying both the BRZ and the FRS springs (for 8 in total) and used the front springs from the BRZ and the rears from the FR-S to essentially make GT86 springs but about 35% stiffer. I did this because the out of the box BRZ rates seemed too understeer-y, but I still wanted to tame the oversteer a bit in the car.

Handling
So this is a bit of a wash review, because the rates are different than what 99% of people would even consider buying and I did the camber bolts at the same time. But, even with that, I can say that the handling is noticeably better. It's not 'whole new car' levels of change, but the oversteer's been somewhat tamed although that's definitely still the dominant handling trait.

Also, the car rides better. I still feel...each...and...every...bump on the road, but they're not so jarring for sure. They are now soaked up a lot better.

Drop
So this is where it gets a bit weird I was debating if the half inch drop would be enough for the sake of looks, and ended up making this picture to make my decision.

So I figured half inch would be enough to look good. Subtle but to the trained eye noticeable. Well, here's my before and after.

Before

After

So the drop is a bit heavy on the subtle side. I don't think even the best trained eye would catch it though.
The car currently compares super closely to what RSR advertised, so there's no issue there I suppose. However, comparing my stock picture (and others I have) to stock pictures of other stock toyobarus it seems mine was a bit lower than normal already. Maybe it settled in the intervening 10k miles?

So I guess the sum of that is that I'm a bit underwhelmed by the drop, but then again I got springs advertised to be between 10-15mm of drop, so I couldn't have expected much. It looks as advertised, so there's that.

Overall
This definitely fits into the OEM+ category, and if that's what you're going for (like me) then they're definitely worth it IMO, especially as they're only $182 from race consulting agency. I like the fact that my suspension geometry remains essentially stock and the I don't have to worry about the long term reliability of related parts due to the lowering (been there done that).

That said though, I recommend two things.

First, while I'm glad I have the mixed rates for the whole 'gee-whiz' factor, I'd recommend not to be silly like me and just go with one of the standard rates to save yourself money. Odds are 99% of us (including me) couldn't tell any difference between what I installed and either of the other two options. If you're leaning that way, consider spending the extra hundred on a set of STi pinks, the one picture I've seen of them actually seems to have a touch more drop to it.

Second, I'd recommend comparing your car in its current state to the RS*R marketing picture before purchase if you want to make sure this mod is worth if for you in terms of drop.
Hiko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hiko For This Useful Post:
beltax90 (08-12-2021), BRZyJ (06-09-2018), OND (09-15-2017), swarb (09-14-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 05:47 PM   #2
R2

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Do these come with bump stops? If so, what was the difference in length and appearance compared to OEM?
R2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 01:07 AM   #3
Hiko

Somehow just noticed your question.

They don't come with bumpstops, just the springs and I re-used the OEM's.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:45 AM   #4
Boomerang

Drives: 2015 Toyota GT86 MT UEL E85 RSR CWP
Thanked 4,850 Times in 2,166 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
RSR super down FTW, bit late for that for you...

If you are underwhelmed by the drop then you should have gone the SUPER down
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:53 PM   #5
Hiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
RSR super down FTW, bit late for that for you...
I could change them no problem if I wanted

Lower is not always better
Old 07-13-2020, 03:21 PM   #6
AaronH

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Super downs

Hey so I have ordered the super downs and my biggest fear is scraping since I put on all new exhaust. I know it’s an inevitability but still hurts my heart lol. Do you notice any scraping with the downs after you installed them? I also know the super downs will be lower, I am just curious. As you said not many reviews from owners on these. Thanks!
AaronH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:43 AM   #7
Dzzzz

Drives: 2020 brz pp
New here have my 2020 brz for about 3 weeks and been lowered on the rsr down (13-16 brz springs 3.1k front 3.6k rear) for little more than a week. The ride is very very close to stock. The drop is noticeable especially the rear, about 0.5”- 0.6” as advertised. My brz is my daily so I didn’t wanna go too low or too stiff especially where I live the roads are pretty bad.
Attached Images

Dzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dzzzz For This Useful Post:
beltax90 (08-12-2021)
Old 07-23-2020, 07:55 AM   #8
Boomerang

Drives: 2015 Toyota GT86 MT UEL E85 RSR CWP
Thanked 4,850 Times in 2,166 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
my back hurts from RSR super downs, but I still love em
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 01:32 AM   #9
Trev6450w

Drives: 2013 Black FRS 6MT
are you still running the rsr downs?

i've been strongly debating whether i should get some rce yellows or these rsr downs

also, how much camber are you running?
Trev6450w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 12:42 PM   #10
Hiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev6450w View Post
are you still running the rsr downs?

i've been strongly debating whether i should get some rce yellows or these rsr downs

also, how much camber are you running?
I am indeed, still digging them. I've ended up with 235/45/17 tires as well, and with this drop it looks nice IMO.

As far as which you should go with, I have no idea, depends on what you're after. IIRC, RCE yellows drop will look a bit more noticeable, but the rates are decently higher (check me on that though). If it helps you at all with the decision, here's the full version I made of lowered height comparison. The 0.8" are the RCE yellows and the 1" being one of the Eibach variants.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hiko For This Useful Post:
Thefalls (08-24-2021)