follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 04-11-2020, 06:28 PM   #5405
Randoman5

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Let me preface this by saying that I realize rotrex failures are probably much more rare than this forum would lead one to believe. Guys who have a rotrex on their only car what are you doing if the supercharger fails. What would need to be done to go back to NA temporarily other than replacing the airbox and reflashing? Do you also need to replace pulleys brackets etc?

I’m thinking you could probably buy a replacement rotrex and have it shipped or rent a car for 3 months.... or keep a spare.

I’m probably overthinking this but it would be a problem I had to solve in the short term and I’d like to have a plan. Also.... I’ve been stuck at home for a month not making the money I was planning to spend on a supercharger.
Randoman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 08:12 PM   #5406
steved

Drives: 2013 FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Racing View Post
The Track Cooler kit was on our supercharged SCCA STU car, which was ran very hard and won a lot of races. Aftermarket header no cat. Oil temps never exceeded 260F, typically 240-250, and that is driving at the limit for 40min.

As long as you have the factory plastics installed so that the air ducts across the coolers properly and not out the bottom, you can run the Track Cooler kit with SC on 300hp cars no problem. I have personally tracked street and race cars with this setup A LOT.

-Oscar Jr.
vs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Hood vents, and keeping or emulating/replicating the factory ducting is key!
So which is it..
steved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:34 PM   #5407
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved View Post
vs

So which is it..
Do you have a racecar trailered and towed to the track (Jackson's setup), or a street driven car? (my setup)

Overall, mine is more robust, but costs more. The only real difference between what I aside and what JR said is that I added hood vents.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:35 PM   #5408
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randoman5 View Post
Let me preface this by saying that I realize rotrex failures are probably much more rare than this forum would lead one to believe. Guys who have a rotrex on their only car what are you doing if the supercharger fails. What would need to be done to go back to NA temporarily other than replacing the airbox and reflashing? Do you also need to replace pulleys brackets etc?

I’m thinking you could probably buy a replacement rotrex and have it shipped or rent a car for 3 months.... or keep a spare.

I’m probably overthinking this but it would be a problem I had to solve in the short term and I’d like to have a plan. Also.... I’ve been stuck at home for a month not making the money I was planning to spend on a supercharger.
partially remove the SC kit and go NA; leave all the piping in place and plugged.

Or, cross-ship.
Old 04-12-2020, 02:34 AM   #5409
steved

Quote:
Do you have a racecar trailered and towed to the track (Jackson's setup), or a street driven car? (my setup)

Overall, mine is more robust, but costs more. The only real difference between what I aside and what JR said is that I added hood vents.
If the all caps wasn't originally enough I'll add bold to emphasize my question:
Quote:
The Track Cooler kit was on our supercharged SCCA STU car, which was ran very hard and won a lot of races. Aftermarket header no cat. Oil temps never exceeded 260F, typically 240-250, and that is driving at the limit for 40min.

As long as you have the factory plastics installed so that the air ducts across the coolers properly and not out the bottom, you can run the Track Cooler kit with SC on 300hp cars no problem. I have personally tracked street and race cars with this setup A LOT.

-Oscar Jr.
If it's tested OK, why would the hood vent be necessary?
Old 04-12-2020, 03:30 AM   #5410
CSG Mike

Quote:
If the all caps wasn't originally enough I'll add bold to emphasize my question:

If it's tested OK, why would the hood vent be necessary?
300hp =/= 300whp, e.g a car on E85, vs the 100 octane that Jackson Racing uses on their STU car.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:14 AM   #5411
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
300hp =/= 300whp, e.g a car on E85, vs the 100 octane that Jackson Racing uses on their STU car.
And your car is turbo, right? Turbo can lead to additional heating in the engine bay where hood vent can help. I am sure vent would be helpful with JRSC as well.

I think the tune is also an important part of engine heat. Do you have any comments on that?
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 01:03 PM   #5412
steved

So here the question is focused on going from 200 to 300 hp. This would infer standard kit install, factory or diy tune should be pretty similar in power if all else is equal:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
You are giving me ideas. But I am starting to feel tired of modding my car. I should resist.

Can we move on from this "my car is heating up" complaints? I am more interested in "how I cool my engine posts". We have increased power from 200 to 300 hp. Engine heating up on track is obviously expected. Tell us how you cool down.
But then hood vents are brought in, a product your company develops and markets:

Quote:
Hood vents, and keeping or emulating/replicating the factory ducting is key!
Even though JR specifically said the kit + track oil cooler tests OK:

Quote:

-Oscar Jr.
And now we're talking about flex fuel..

Quote:

And I really hope we're not talking about turbos and heat in the JRSC thread:

Quote:
And your car is turbo, right? Turbo can lead to additional heating in the engine bay where hood vent can help. I am sure vent would be helpful with JRSC as well.

I think the tune is also an important part of engine heat. Do you have any comments on that?
Old 04-12-2020, 01:29 PM   #5413
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
So here the question is focused on going from 200 to 300 hp. This would infer standard kit install, factory or diy tune should be pretty similar in power if all else is equal:

But then hood vents are brought in, a product your company develops and markets:

Can you please clearly state what you want to say instead of these half-smart attempts of sarcasm? What is your point?
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrg666 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 09:47 AM   #5414
CSG Mike

Quote:

My car is turbo, makes 400+hp, and is still cooled on the stock radiator.

I also have a fully sealed cooling stack, large hood vents in the appropriate loaction, and a divorced oil cooler.

Apples and oranges, for the sake of cooling a JRSC setup.

Additional radiant heat in the engine bay has no effect on how well your radiator cools in a constant stream of air, but it can lead to having to heat shield things in the engine bay, lest they cool in proximity to hot exhaust piping that wasn't there in factory form. The supercharger is MUCH simpler in that sense.

In a drag race, my car isn't any faster than a JRSC car with similar output. I went turbo to take on the challenge of "you can't make a reliable turbo FA20 track car". Turns out you can; it just costs 2x more than a SC of the same output.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
mrg666 (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 09:49 AM   #5415
CSG Mike

Quote:

You don't seem to differentiate between track and street car, and the fact that Jackson Racing actually takes their own installation instructions and recommendations to heart. I can personally vouch that neither their race cars, nor street cars, overheat, even in the California desert.

Now, the racecar is obviously not a fair comparison, because it's got more development in it than the average street car, as does my personal (turbo) brz.

long story short: added power? add cooling. Don't delete factory provisions. Add cooling to be safe.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:15 PM   #5416
WC-BRZ

Drives: Black BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I don't understand the comments regarding factory cooling and ducting around the plastics...?

Is it possible to get some kind of guidance on this with pics without the front bumper or something?

Thanks everyone for all the awesome insights in here
WC-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 07:22 PM   #5417
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC-BRZ View Post
I don't understand the comments regarding factory cooling and ducting around the plastics...?

Is it possible to get some kind of guidance on this with pics without the front bumper or something?

Thanks everyone for all the awesome insights in here
The stock car ducts everything to force air through your cooling stack, rather than having it go around the stack. Fluids (air in this case) go the path of least resistance. When the only path is through the cooling stack, it must go through the cooling stack.

Keep your stock parts, and trim only what is needed for intercooler piping.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
WC-BRZ (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 07:33 PM   #5418
WC-BRZ

Drives: Black BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
The stock car ducts everything to force air through your cooling stack, rather than having it go around the stack. Fluids (air in this case) go the path of least resistance. When the only path is through the cooling stack, it must go through the cooling stack.

Keep your stock parts, and trim only what is needed for intercooler piping.
Great, thanks for the explanation.

I also once saw a pic of a JDL install where there was some foam installed around the front. It was a while back and I didn't even think of saving that pic.

What is the purpose of the foam installation like that around the front?
WC-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote