follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-07-2020, 06:04 AM   #1
Lord Akbar

Drives: 2013 BRZ premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Angry CEL and traction control lights on after valve spring recall work

So about a month ago I took my 2013 BRZ (automatic) in to my local Subaru dealership to finally get the valve springs replaced and when I got the car back my CEL and traction control lights were on and the car jerks just before I come to a complete stop (happens around 1000-1500 RPM and only happens when on automatic trans and not when in "manual"). I took it back immediately and after a few days the dealership called me back and claimed this was happening due to carbon buildup and that I needed to have the camshaft position sensor and oil control valve replaced and it'll cost me $1,200 with parts and labor. They claimed it was due to lack of maintenance even though I only use 93 octane and I get full synthetic oil changes every 4,000-5,000 miles diligently, so I wasn't having it. I got on the phone with Subaru corporate and after some back and forth they were willing to pay for 100% of the repairs as long as it didn't exceed $1,200. Another week went by and my car was ready for pickup. When I picked it up it was driving fine for about a day or 2, then the CEL and traction control lights came back on and the car once again jerked upon coming to a complete stop. I took it back a 3rd time, they had it for another 2-3 days and then called me and said they ran codes, diagnostics and what not and said nothing seemed to be wrong and it could've just been a hiccup. I go to pick it back up yesterday and no lights are on and it's driving fine....for about 30 minutes and as soon as I get home sure enough it all happens AGAIN. I'm taking it back in a few hours here but I just wanted some input from anyone here if this happened to you and/or what could be causing this. This will now be my 4th time back and even though they're nice at the dealership, I don't think I can trust them anymore unfortunately. I apologize that this is lengthy but I wanted to make sure I covered everything. I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to motors/engines so I appreciate any help. Thanks.

EDIT: code I’m getting is P0011 - intake camshaft position timing

Last edited by Lord Akbar; 08-07-2020 at 11:28 AM.
Lord Akbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:14 AM   #2
kev0

Drives: '14
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Can you get the codes read yourself and let us know what it is? My car does the same thing as yours. Car jerks when braking ONLY when the CEL and slippery lights are on. Once I clear them, the jerking stops which leads me to believe that the jerking is a safety measure the car does for some weird reason.

It doesn't happen when you put the car in neutral when stopping though. It's so weird. Some people will say it's limp mode, but I can go well above 3k RPM with my CEL and slip light on.
kev0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:48 AM   #3
Lord Akbar

Drives: 2013 BRZ premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev0 View Post
Can you get the codes read yourself and let us know what it is? My car does the same thing as yours. Car jerks when braking ONLY when the CEL and slippery lights are on. Once I clear them, the jerking stops which leads me to believe that the jerking is a safety measure the car does for some weird reason.

It doesn't happen when you put the car in neutral when stopping though. It's so weird. Some people will say it's limp mode, but I can go well above 3k RPM with my CEL and slip light on.
I don't have the tool to run the scan myself so I'll go to Autozone when they open and have them run it for me and I'll write down the codes then I'll post them here. And yes I also read that the car puts itself in limp mode to prevent damage, we'll see what the verdict is. Thanks for your reply!
Lord Akbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:26 PM   #4
mswbrz

Drives: 2013 brz limited / galaxy blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Akbar View Post
I don't have the tool to run the scan myself so I'll go to Autozone when they open and have them run it for me and I'll write down the codes then I'll post them here. And yes I also read that the car puts itself in limp mode to prevent damage, we'll see what the verdict is. Thanks for your reply!

Any updates ? What dealer is this ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mswbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:51 PM   #5
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev0 View Post

You can go well above 3k in limp mode. Can you still manually shift when cel and traction light turn on because of this issue? Pretty sure Limp mode disables manual shifting with an auto.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:21 PM   #6
kev0

Drives: '14
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
You can go well above 3k in limp mode. Can you still manually shift when cel and traction light turn on because of this issue? Pretty sure Limp mode disables manual shifting with an auto.
Yup, I can still manually shift whenever I want. My CEL and slips are on but I don't think I'm in limp mode.

I've experienced real limp mode before on a previous tune and with that limp mode, I couldn't go above 2.5k.
kev0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:03 PM   #7
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Make sure you call Subaru with this information. You already have a case file as you called them before. DO IT NOW.
Dealer should have entered your VIN each time you went to the dealership.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:41 PM   #8
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Cam position sensor is an easy job to do yourself and cost between $50-$150 for the sensor depending on whether you buy OEM or not. Lots of threads on here about it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
mswbrz (08-09-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 01:56 AM   #9
mswbrz

CEL and traction control lights on after valve spring recall work

Can can some one post a diagram or pic that shows which bank or valve is which , A, b ectName:  IMG_2114.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  162.4 KB
I had this similar cell recently , had my boy swap the valve over to chase it and change if necessary , my cell has went away but every now and then I get a non symptomatic traction light appear

The Following User Says Thank You to mswbrz For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (08-10-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 01:59 AM   #10
mswbrz

Here is a pic of what dash does with no cell Atm . After I kill the car and start her up again it goes away .

Old 08-10-2020, 09:29 PM   #11
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswbrz View Post

Here is a pic of what dash does with no cell Atm . After I kill the car and start her up again it goes away .

EDIT: oops was thinking of someone else. Did you figure out which sensor it was?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote