follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 03-29-2019, 01:33 AM   #3011
Mr_Eyo

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have an AT with the Edelbrock kit and v25 tune for flex fuel and am having a rough idle. Sometimes sitting at a light, ignition advance timing is -2.5 deg. STFT is high, like +25%. Load is a little higher than normal. Vacuum sometimes is only -7psi vs the normal -10psi, so I imagine the bypass valve actuator is partially open, flooding the cylinders with compressed air and the ECU is pulling timing. If that sounds plausible, where could I be having vacuum issues?
Mr_Eyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 02:47 AM   #3012
Colin86

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B T View Post
I really enjoyed it for a while until I got the itch for more power. Once you apply E85 to it, it's a rocket ship.
This.

Beyond that my car has been absolutely reliable with the delicious tune including excellent driveability, no regrets. If you're looking for more power I highly recommend.
Colin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Colin86 For This Useful Post:
CallmeDave (03-29-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 02:35 PM   #3013
CallmeDave

Drives: 13 BRZ, 07 WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have to pull the motor to do the valve recall. I'm thinking of mounting the supercharger while its out of the car. Hopefully easier to avoid the vacuum leak issues as well.
Can you guys foresee any issues putting the motor back with the blower attached? Besides the obvious routing of hoses ect.

Seriously thanks for all the replies. Its nice to see an active forum like the preFacebook days.
Old 03-29-2019, 02:37 PM   #3014
CallmeDave

Drives: 13 BRZ, 07 WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'm about 2000 posts into reading this entire thread so It might of been answered already but CSG are you still offering this deal for the Dbox?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but CSG includes a free D-box with every Edelbrock order placed since the D-box's release, upon request. It's THAT good.

*edit* The D-box is not CARB exempt, and technically makes your car not compliant with California emissions. If you want to be 100% emissions legal in California, you cannot run the D-box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Just as a reminder, all E-force purchases from CSG include a free D-box upon request.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:15 PM   #3015
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Just ordered my 2nd replacement bypass valve after a year and a half on the first replacement .
Fortunately Jegs carries it (Edelbrock 51-7081) .
Unfortunately it's $96
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 07:04 PM   #3016
86fun

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdTRD View Post
Just ordered my 2nd replacement bypass valve after a year and a half on the first replacement .
Fortunately Jegs carries it (Edelbrock 51-7081) .
Unfortunately it's $96

What symptoms do you see when it fails?
86fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 07:18 PM   #3017
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86fun View Post
What symptoms do you see when it fails?
Depends on how big the hole is in the diaphragm. This one just started so it's basically a small vacuum leak, the valve still operates but is leaking vacuum so the car stalls occasionally but I haven't logged anything yet. The original one developed a couple holes, one fairly large so I was seeing high fuel trims in the logs and smelling fuel due to it running super rich.
It's easy enough to test, just pinch off the vacuum supply hose going down to the bypass valve and if nothing changes, i.e. idle stays the same, no sound difference, the valve stays opened...then it's good, no leaks.
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BirdTRD For This Useful Post:
Decep (02-04-2020)
Old 03-31-2019, 09:44 AM   #3018
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeDave View Post
Honest question: are you owners still happy with your purchase?
Still say its worth the money and tuning hassle?(I thought DT had the tune locked down)
I'd take most anyone pointing to DT's tune for their issues with a grain of salt.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gtengr For This Useful Post:
CallmeDave (05-20-2019)
Old 03-31-2019, 07:11 PM   #3019
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtengr View Post
I'd take most anyone pointing to DT's tune for their issues with a grain of salt.
Well you'll want skip this then.

Their tune is much better than the Edelbrock one, but it is far from perfect. Performance when cold is pretty awful on my car and I sometimes get small stumbles under normal driving under light to moderate throttle. Zach's response was that 'there is a lot going on in that area' and couldn't clean it up. We only ever did a handful of revisions so maybe I just gave up on it too easily.

Version 26 of the Edelbrock tune comes out next week, I'll be grabbing that and getting refinement with Bill now that he is back to doing the tuning.

If you drive it like your stole it the tune is fantastic.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to toast For This Useful Post:
paiceyfan (03-31-2019)
Old 03-31-2019, 09:42 PM   #3020
gtengr

Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
Their tune is much better than the Edelbrock one, but it is far from perfect.
Seems a pretty good endorsement and what most people say. I should have clarified that there are several cases where people jump to blaming the tune when they have install issues, and that is where my comment was aimed. I'm a little skeptical that a DT tune with all revisions would drive so poorly that it would drive someone to sell the kit.

I have the DT tune with a Cosworth kit and have no complaints. All revisions were done.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:04 PM   #3021
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
How is the bypass actuation done with the Cosworth kit?

I think 98% of the driving issues for the Edelbrock kit are based on the vacuum actuator. Even when it is healthy, it think it is poorly calibrated. When vacuum goes below 12 in it starts to open, meaning it is almost impossible to drive smoothly away from a stop without having it open. If it does open, even at 1500 rpm there is a large increase in air and the tune tries to adapt. If anything goes wrong you either get a stumble, in which case you compensate with the throttle or it you get a surge you do the same and it is very easy to set up a negative feedback loop.

They need to have one with an adjustable spring. I'm building an electronic one based on a fast linear actuator and arduino unit in the passenger compartment with a cable that actuates the valve. Below 2k rpm it stays closed regardless of the vacuum and then it will ramp up based on a secondary air pressure sensor and the setting of a switch. One of the settings will be a valet mode where the actuator never opens, another an economy mode where you have to lean into the throttle more to get boost and then a sport mode which acts like the current vacuum actuator. This will also get rid of the constantly failing vacuum actuator.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to toast For This Useful Post:
BirdTRD (04-01-2019)
Old 04-01-2019, 02:58 AM   #3022
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeDave View Post
I'm about 2000 posts into reading this entire thread so It might of been answered already but CSG are you still offering this deal for the Dbox?
PM @CounterSpace Garage
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:06 PM   #3023
Bunsin
Car Goes Bang

Drives: 2013 FRS, 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Eyo View Post
I have an AT with the Edelbrock kit and v25 tune for flex fuel and am having a rough idle. Sometimes sitting at a light, ignition advance timing is -2.5 deg. STFT is high, like +25%. Load is a little higher than normal. Vacuum sometimes is only -7psi vs the normal -10psi, so I imagine the bypass valve actuator is partially open, flooding the cylinders with compressed air and the ECU is pulling timing. If that sounds plausible, where could I be having vacuum issues?
Apparently I am now in this camp. At times the AFR is swinging wildly and I am getting hesitation at even throttle. It comes and goes (e.g car is fine for 15 min then after a hard pull goes to crap). The boost swings as well so I’m betting a vacuum leak in the actuator... there is definitely gunk on the metal rod just inside the housing. What threw me is it was just after switching back to E85 from 93 that it started so I was assuming bad gas. After Another fill up from a different station and getting to about 70% ETOH I’m still having issues.

Someone posted a pinch test on the vacuum line but I can’t find the post for the life of me
Bunsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:19 PM   #3024
gtengr

Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
How is the bypass actuation done with the Cosworth kit?
Vacuum actuator, but comparing the Cosworth instructions to the Edelbrock instructions it "appears" the part may be different. I also wonder if the larger blower size (TVS1320 on the Edelbrock compared to TVS900 on Cosworth) has any impact.