follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-25-2013, 10:29 PM   #15
dnieves

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jertronic View Post
Okay, with winter coming right up and my plan to use my FR-S as my year round dd I want to buy the part.

1. They come in black only, or more choices?

2. Is there a difference between ordering from dealer and ordering from Amazon?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
1- They only come in black, they're soft rubbery black plastic so I don't think paint with flex (not flecks) will adhere to them for the long term (if you decide to paint them).

2- No difference for OEM mud guards except Amazon is cheaper. Out of state dealers charge the same as Amazon; local dealerships have to charge the list price Scion states on the website.
dnieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #16
Jertronic

Drives: FR-S 10 Series 120 of 2500
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Will the holes left by attaching mud flaps be an eye sore when removing flaps in the spring? Curious if it is common to remove once crap weather is over with. Or, do people just keep the flaps on for good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2013, 11:22 PM   #17
rishi

Drives: FR-S Series 10 #0059
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Will the holes left by attaching mud flaps be an eye sore when removing flaps in the spring? Curious if it is common to remove once crap weather is over with. Or, do people just keep the flaps on for good?
The holes are in the black plastic parts of the wheel well, and they're already drilled and filled with plugs. Just put the original push plugs back in to fill them, and you can pick up some matching plain black push plugs for the one hole you have to drill for each flap.

But really, there's no reason to remove the OEM flaps - they're molded to be very unnoticable, since they match the wheel well itself.
rishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:24 PM   #18
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,821 Times in 16,427 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the OEM mud flaps and leave them on all year long.

In addition to being "mud" flaps, they are dirty water, sand, gravel and dirt flaps ....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:41 AM   #19
dnieves

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
if you want to be totally secure that the mudguards will not damage your paint with trapped debris just cut strips of 3M paint protection film on the painted areas covered by the mudguards. -Worked like a charm for me.
dnieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:17 AM   #20
Kelbyat07
Poor College Kid

Drives: ~.~
Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,249 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
I used all the pre-drilled holes already on the frame. Followed the directions to a T. They do stick out further than the OEM, but I never understood why people thought they stuck out too far on this car.
Since i never done this before i wanted to make sure. No drilling is required correct?

Kelbyat07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:09 AM   #21
The359
X Rated

Drives: 2017 BRZ Series.Yellow
I'd assume the answer would be yes, but I'll ask anyway - The TRD mudflaps will fit the BRZ? Subaru and SPT dont offer any OEM mudflaps for the BRZ.

My BRZ
The359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:52 AM   #22
sc0urge

Drives: 2013 BRZ CBS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnieves View Post
if you want to be totally secure that the mudguards will not damage your paint with trapped debris just cut strips of 3M paint protection film on the painted areas covered by the mudguards. -Worked like a charm for me.
I'm a big fan of the OEM mud flaps and the way they look on our cars. However, having the flaps come in direct contact with the paint/clear coat makes me uneasy. It's possible that dirt and small rocks could get caught between your car and flaps and cause some marring to the paint. @PantsDants started a thread showing these potential issues (of course YMMV): http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50624 . With that said, I think dnieves's suggestion may be a solution to this. Just thought I'd share!

sc0urge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #23
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc0urge View Post
I'm a big fan of the OEM mud flaps and the way they look on our cars. However, having the flaps come in direct contact with the paint/clear coat makes me uneasy. It's possible that dirt and small rocks could get caught between your car and flaps and cause some marring to the paint. @PantsDants started a thread showing these potential issues (of course YMMV): http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50624 . With that said, I think dnieves's suggestion may be a solution to this. Just thought I'd share!

I installed the OEM flaps about 6 months ago... I removed them last week.. Decided I didn't care for the look.. There was some dirt and debris under the flaps where they attached to the car but I was lucky and don't have any rubbing paint damage or anything after they were removed. Looks better without them, IMO.
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #24
Suberman
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ Sport Tech Satin White
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359 View Post
I'd assume the answer would be yes, but I'll ask anyway - The TRD mudflaps will fit the BRZ? Subaru and SPT dont offer any OEM mudflaps for the BRZ.
Yes I have a set on my BRZ.

Not labelled TRD but they are the stock FRS flaps fitted to all Canadian spec FRS.
Suberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #25
Optimus Prime

Drives: Whiteout 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelbyat07 View Post
Since i never done this before i wanted to make sure. No drilling is required correct?
Correct. I did not drill any holes installing the RA flaps. Nor did I remove any tires. However, life would've been much easier with smaller hands or removing the tires. All said and done it took 1 or 2 hours including stopping to eat dinner and play with my daughter for a few minutes...and I'm not the handiest of guys.
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Optimus Prime For This Useful Post:
Kelbyat07 (11-12-2013)
Old 11-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #26
Kelbyat07
Poor College Kid

Drives: ~.~
Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,249 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
Correct. I did not drill any holes installing the RA flaps. Nor did I remove any tires. However, life would've been much easier with smaller hands or removing the tires. All said and done it took 1 or 2 hours including stopping to eat dinner and play with my daughter for a few minutes...and I'm not the handiest of guys.
Ok i just dont know why some people are saying that some has to drill another hole or they had to remove the back tires.

Kelbyat07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:28 AM   #27
fitcious

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
i have the OEM mud guards from Scion. I had to drill holes. i believe it is stated in the instructions...but i also heard you don't have to
fitcious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:46 AM   #28
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelbyat07 View Post
Ok i just dont know why some people are saying that some has to drill another hole or they had to remove the back tires.
You have to poke a hole in the rear mudflaps for the inner part of the flap to stay tight in the wheel well. This is just a screw sized hole going into the inner fender plastic. When I removed the mudflap I just stuck the plug that was holding the mudflap in and left it in there you can't even tell there was ever a hole
there. I had to remove the rear wheels to get the mudflap installed, but just had to turn the front ones to have access to mount those.
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikem53 For This Useful Post:
Kelbyat07 (11-13-2013)