follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 06-26-2014, 12:04 PM   #29
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
there is always power......
and it's all usable... even 1hp is usable power.
If it's good enough to get a horse up to speed, it's good enough for me.

Quote:
but the area under the curve between 6200 and 7200 is far greater than 5200 and 6200
It turns out that I didn't look at the X axis of your graph; I thought the major increments were 1000 RPM, not 400 RPM. I would like to amend my answer to 6400, not 5200.

Quote:
but if we had 4 gears for the same speed spans then we'd have better ability to mesh with the course.
Agreed, but putting all six gears in to cover the same range of speed effectively ruins the car for anything beyond that speed, which was my original point in response to the OP's question that I had quoted. We've kind of gotten off on a tangent.

Now, if I were building a trailered car purely to win in a certain class at a certain level, then yes, I would do that.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:13 PM   #30
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
Agreed, but putting all six gears in to cover the same range of speed effectively ruins the car for anything beyond that speed, which was my original point in response to the OP's question that I had quoted. We've kind of gotten off on a tangent.

agreed, 6 speeds for a 80kph span would be overkill (unless, of course, it was somehow automated).
Old 06-26-2014, 02:08 PM   #31
Lunatic

Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Thanked 1,056 Times in 488 Posts
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Why would you want to use all six gears if you didn't need to? That's just more shifting that needs to be done, which means more time that needs to be taken to shift, which means less time putting power to the ground.

And your gear usage was just for that track you were on. Say you get a final drive ratio that lets you use all six gears on that track. What happens when you go to a faster track and you're topped out in sixth gear on a straight while people go around you?

For an extreme example, consider an autocross course. The runs are around a minute long, very tight and windy, and you're usually in second and occasionally third gear. If you geared your car to use all six gears on that course, you would constantly be shifting up or down, which would make you a lot slower than the person staying in second the entire time, and potentially upset the car in a corner. Now compare that to the back straight in Le Mans, where you can genuinely max out sixth gear before you hit the end of the straight. If your car is geared for the autocross course, you're only going to be going about 60-80 mph while other cars are passing you doing 150+.
I see your point.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:12 PM   #32
Lunatic

Quote:
Except in an automatic it would be shifting constantly. You'd accelerate through a corner and it would drop a gear, then shift up a few seconds later, then drop again for the next corner, then back up, then up one more as you enter a small straight, then down two for the sharp corner at the end, etc... Plus autos shift in response to your actions, not in anticipation of your actions.

I would love a tightly geared sequential manual for autocross. You'd be able to set up for the next turn, not have the transmission react once you're in the turn. And you'd only have to worry about up or down, not fighting with shift gates. Or an aggressive CVT that would keep the car at 5.5K+ the whole time.
I would be driving in manual mode with the paddles. I am used to this having a track car with a 6 speed sequential gear box. To keep it in my torque range between 6 and 11,000 rpm one lap at ORP would be 100 shifts.

Good info, keep the suggestions coming. I am not trying to dispute anyone, just trying how to figure this out and learn the differences between my old track can and my new FRS.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:56 PM   #33
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
I would be driving in manual mode with the paddles. I am used to this having a track car with a 6 speed sequential gear box. To keep it in my torque range between 6 and 11,000 rpm one lap at ORP would be 100 shifts.

Good info, keep the suggestions coming. I am not trying to dispute anyone, just trying how to figure this out and learn the differences between my old track can and my new FRS.
i still dont see how an auto frs would be something to upgrade from something with a sequential gearbox
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:05 PM   #34
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
You'll need to identify how fast your courses are and where on the rev range you're in at each corner. This is something we can help you guys out on if you can send us data.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:20 PM   #35
Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
i still dont see how an auto frs would be something to upgrade from something with a sequential gearbox
It's not an upgrade, but something the wife can drive.

If you want to see my real track car look at

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lunat...75620119162747