follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 07-19-2022, 12:14 PM   #267
Rustyoid

Drives: 2022 GR86
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post
No - I get that part. Same thing is true in the U.S. The issue I have is handing your car over to the dealer BEFORE he gets an allocation/car. What if he never does? Then he is beholden to the dealer's trade-in price which, if the same thing is true as it is in the U.S. (typically) is A LOT less than you can get from any of the Internet/mass dealers at this time.

In fact, when I did it, even including the amount I would have saved on sales tax did not make up for that difference. Even if he didn't want to put another mile on it, he would be better off (IMHO) leaving it in his garage until his car came in.
Sports cars are worth more in the summer and less in the winter. Esp for the 86, where dealers are mostly selling them to young people making an impulse buy. It makes a lot of sense to take advantage of "summer" car values when your new one isn't arriving until winter. Its also common for people to shop for deals on sports cars as winter approaches.

Also if you haven't noticed, the economy is on life support and will eventually crash, which includes vehicle prices. Not a bad idea to lock in a trade value IMO
Rustyoid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rustyoid For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-19-2022), WRBRZk (07-19-2022)
Old 07-19-2022, 01:08 PM   #268
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyoid View Post
Sports cars are worth more in the summer and less in the winter. Esp for the 86, where dealers are mostly selling them to young people making an impulse buy. It makes a lot of sense to take advantage of "summer" car values when your new one isn't arriving until winter. Its also common for people to shop for deals on sports cars as winter approaches.

Also if you haven't noticed, the economy is on life support and will eventually crash, which includes vehicle prices. Not a bad idea to lock in a trade value IMO
Big risk in my opinion especially when the dealership can't even guarantee getting him his car ever. What if he ends up having to go to another dealership? Then he ended up getting the lower trade-in value (by not going to a third party) AND doesn't get to take advantage of the sales tax trade-in.

One thing to do this kind of transaction when your VIN is assigned, car is on the way, and the purchase price is set-in-stone. Not the situation we have here...
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 01:58 PM   #269
Rustyoid

Quote:
Big risk in my opinion especially when the dealership can't even guarantee getting him his car ever. What if he ends up having to go to another dealership? Then he ended up getting the lower trade-in value (by not going to a third party) AND doesn't get to take advantage of the sales tax trade-in.

One thing to do this kind of transaction when your VIN is assigned, car is on the way, and the purchase price is set-in-stone. Not the situation we have here...
Well I guess it all depends on that particular dealer/customer relationship. We have done this exact same thing on occasion, pay more to get the trade in now, especially with the inventory shortage. Altho on a few occasions delays have came back to bite us when the new vehicle didnt arrive as soon as initially expected and the customer is without a car.

The third party buyer/seller like Carvana or something is not as significant in Canada. You're better off going to a subprime lot on a busy main street with front row parking for impulse selling.

What probably has happened is the dealer has guaranteed them priority for GR86 allocations, in exchange for allowing them to take the trade early. OP gets a higher trade value that is locked in, and priority from the dealer, dealer has to pay a bit more for the trade, but also sells it for more as its summer time, And makes that gross NOW.

Also they said a 2016, so its probably just off or VERY close to powertrain warranty expiring. that could be a factor as to why they dont mind getting rid of it early

Like I said it all depends on that particular dealer/customer relation
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rustyoid For This Useful Post:
CincyJohn (07-19-2022), new2subaru (07-19-2022), roddy (07-19-2022), Tcoat (07-19-2022)
Old 07-19-2022, 06:26 PM   #270
fatboydean

Drives: 2016 BRZ Hikari
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I thought the same, hence trade in first while the price is still high...
fatboydean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatboydean For This Useful Post:
Rustyoid (07-19-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 02:53 AM   #271
fatboydean

Drives: 2016 BRZ Hikari
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I agree there is always a risk
fatboydean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatboydean For This Useful Post:
Rustyoid (07-20-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 02:14 PM   #272
IsacChan

Drives: Awaiting GR86 Premium MT
Quote:
Hey look at this! A dealer doing it right, take the deposit WITH the VIN only.

Just thought that was interesting after the refundable deposit discussions...
Yeah, I am happy to deal with this dealer. Probably they feel sorry for having the customer's deposits and refunding as they cannot get us the gr corolla. Not only Toyota, but all car manufacturers and dealers should stop making promises and taking their customers money before they actually have any information from the factories or whoever is responsible to bring them updates.

Also, I have a quick question regarding the allocation. You have been updating national dealer allocation on a monthly basis, and there are not really many allocations per update. So I am wondering the allocations you posted are the total units for the whole country or are they more like to be surprised ones on the top of expected deliveries?
IsacChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 04:30 PM   #273
Rustyoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsacChan View Post
Yeah, I am happy to deal with this dealer. Probably they feel sorry for having the customer's deposits and refunding as they cannot get us the gr corolla. Not only Toyota, but all car manufacturers and dealers should stop making promises and taking their customers money before they actually have any information from the factories or whoever is responsible to bring them updates.

Also, I have a quick question regarding the allocation. You have been updating national dealer allocation on a monthly basis, and there are not really many allocations per update. So I am wondering the allocations you posted are the total units for the whole country or are they more like to be surprised ones on the top of expected deliveries?
These are only "stock" allocations, I cannot see other dealer's filled "orders". Once a customer is linked to a unit it is not visible to other dealers.
Old 07-20-2022, 07:49 PM   #274
IsacChan

Quote:
These are only "stock" allocations, I cannot see other dealer's filled "orders". Once a customer is linked to a unit it is not visible to other dealers.
Understood. Thank you!

(I am new to this forum, just can't find the "thank you button")
Old 07-21-2022, 12:48 AM   #275
Razorwing

Drives: Trueno Halo White 2023 Toyota GR 86
So I was curious on when Toyota Canada will update their site with '23.. and apparently they did.. with the same price. Does that mean for '23 they are keeping the same pricing?
Razorwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 12:51 AM   #276
IsacChan

Canadian Stock Allocations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorwing View Post
So I was curious on when Toyota Canada will update their site with '23.. and apparently they did.. with the same price. Does that mean for '23 they are keeping the same pricing?

No change in terms of price. And, 22 and 23 are basically the same cars except there are special editions for 23
The Following User Says Thank You to IsacChan For This Useful Post:
Razorwing (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 07:54 AM   #277
Ambassador Foolish

Drives: Soon to be GR86
Quote:
No change in MSRP, but keep in mind that interest rates are on the rise, in case you are going to be financing or leasing
Ambassador Foolish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ambassador Foolish For This Useful Post:
Razorwing (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 05:33 PM   #278
Razorwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsacChan View Post
No change in terms of price. And, 22 and 23 are basically the same cars except there are special editions for 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassador Foolish View Post
No change in MSRP, but keep in mind that interest rates are on the rise, in case you are going to be financing or leasing
So should I talk to my sales guy now about price since now it is confirmed that it is the same price? or will my sales guy contact me when he has an allocation and then do the negotiation?

I've never Preordered a car before so not sure how this works.
Old 07-21-2022, 05:51 PM   #279
Rustyoid

Quote:
So should I talk to my sales guy now about price since now it is confirmed that it is the same price? or will my sales guy contact me when he has an allocation and then do the negotiation?

I've never Preordered a car before so not sure how this works.
Currently MSRP is the same, but I expect it to increase in Dec/Jan

If you place an order request, it will be price protected if the price increases (for that model year, they do not price protect from 22 to 23, or 23 to 24); Toyota Canada will reimburse the dealer of the difference in cost, so that the dealer may discount the MSRP increase.

If your request is NOT filled by Toyota, and your dealer is given an allocation that does not match your request. They are able to change the request to match the package allocated, then link that allocation to the request, which will keep the price protection status

Some dealers are not placing requests and only making waiting lists as the allocation plan is very low as it may seem redundant to have 2, 3, 4 times your yearly plan in outstanding requests. Then they recieve their allocation and call down their waiting list
The Following User Says Thank You to Rustyoid For This Useful Post:
Razorwing (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 05:57 PM   #280
Razorwing

Quote:
Currently MSRP is the same, but I expect it to increase in Dec/Jan

If you place an order request, it will be price protected if the price increases (for that model year, they do not price protect from 22 to 23, or 23 to 24); Toyota Canada will reimburse the dealer of the difference in cost, so that the dealer may discount the MSRP increase.

If your request is NOT filled by Toyota, and your dealer is given an allocation that does not match your request. They are able to change the request to match the package allocated, then link that allocation to the request, which will keep the price protection status

Some dealers are not placing requests and only making waiting lists as the allocation plan is very low as it may seem redundant to have 2, 3, 4 times your yearly plan in outstanding requests. Then they recieve their allocation and call down their waiting list
Thanks Rustyoid!

So how would I know if my sales person Did a request or if I'm on a waiting list?