follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 06-03-2017, 09:48 AM   #1
ShadowReaper
Indulgent Tormenter

Drives: 15' LTD Subaru BRZ DGM
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Shops installing Turbo Kits / Tuneless

Eventually throwing a snail on it, more than likely gonna be JDL's.

I am not mechanically inclined. I know what a wrench, a bolt, and exhaust is and that's about it. Which is why I am considering letting a shop/professionals do the install because I wish to make everything right the first time... but is this really the case?

1. I just want to hear some experiences on 86ers that went turbo and let a shop do the install. Did they mess little/major things up? How fast did it take? Were you glad you let professionals deal with the install? I know it depends where you go, but I want to hear the general tale of it.

This is something I assumed I would find through the feature but evidently I didn't. Currently I have a couple of options for tuning afterwards (Circuit or HRI at the top). I am aware that some tuning shops offer installs before tuning but not all do.

2. In the event that I have to go from installing the kit at one shop to tune it in another shop. I would assume it is not recommended but is there a certain amount of mileage that the car can be driven with the kit and tuneless for? of course driving it "grandma style" staying below 3000 rpm? Is it completely reckless to do so? or is it just not recommended? Want to hear if anyone's experienced this because I'm sure people have done it

Instagram: 86_Maul
ShadowReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 12:01 PM   #2
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
You considered a tow to bring the car to the tune shop?
Or the car will be tuned remotely?
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:35 PM   #3
malubawla
poor man's evora

Drives: Turbod BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What kit are you installing? As long as you have stock fuel injectors and map sensor, you can drive the car to the tuner as long as you stay off boost. I have done this many different turbo builds I have done. Or, you can get a basemap if your running upgraded injectors and drive on it to the tuner. The hardest part of the turbo install is taking off the oil pan in my opinion. Should take you maybe 10 hours if its your first time with a complete kit. I did mine in 7 hours including a full 3" exhaust turbo back, and a fuel pump. I had my tuner install my injectors when I got there for $100. That to me was cheaper than a tow, plus my car is low so I can only tow it without my front bumper on.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:58 PM   #4
ShadowReaper
Indulgent Tormenter

Drives: 15' LTD Subaru BRZ DGM
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
You considered a tow to bring the car to the tune shop?
Or the car will be tuned remotely?
Actually no I didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malubawla View Post
What kit are you installing? As long as you have stock fuel injectors and map sensor, you can drive the car to the tuner as long as you stay off boost. I have done this many different turbo builds I have done. Or, you can get a basemap if your running upgraded injectors and drive on it to the tuner. The hardest part of the turbo install is taking off the oil pan in my opinion. Should take you maybe 10 hours if its your first time with a complete kit. I did mine in 7 hours including a full 3" exhaust turbo back, and a fuel pump. I had my tuner install my injectors when I got there for $100. That to me was cheaper than a tow, plus my car is low so I can only tow it without my front bumper on.
It's going to be JDL's kit. I will have everything stock for now, but within a few months upgrade clutch. Later down the road injectors and fuel pump. Me installing it in 10 hours? I would buy myself a whole bucket of cookies if I did that. So staying off boost would be similar to grandma-driving it I suppose, no?

Instagram: 86_Maul
ShadowReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:02 PM   #5
malubawla
poor man's evora

Drives: Turbod BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The way boost works is based off of wide open throttle. Just drive easy on the gas, stay under 4k. That's an easy kit to install. Sorry I misread that your not mechanically inclined. Better to pay somebody then