follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 05-13-2021, 09:40 AM   #43
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDonEffect View Post
Well we would have to fundamentally change the way we sell and shop cars, and quite frankly the dealer unions won't have it. Tesla had the hardest time opening up in certain states because of the dealers. People once thought that people wouldn't buy things online, and now Besos is the richest man in the world.

For instant gratification, what would be easier than getting online, finding/locating the car you want, finish the entire buying process online, and then go and pick up the car? One of the biggest reasons companies like Carmax, Shift, Carvana, etc put traditional used car lots out of business was because they can more easily sell cars online (among a lot of other reasons too). No haggling, you like the car, buy it for the price, can be done all virtually, and they'll deliver the car to you oftentimes in under 48hrs, or you can pick it up almost immediately. If the same was applied to new car lots, no one would go back. What does everyone hate the most about dealing with dealerships? Dealing with them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm one of those masochists that actually enjoys the dance, but as I get older and busier, I find that I'm loathing it more and more.
If you analyze closely carvana and others tend to have higher prices than other sellers. So you are paying for that instant gratification. I just really feel with the insane depreciation in cars it makes no sense to overpay. But people will pay for convenience or just because they want it.

There was a guy who wrote a whole report that basically said if Americans would buy used cars and keep for as long as possible, and then take the payment and save in a retirement account, they could retire early. So Americans are working forever to pay for their new shiny cars. Nothing wrong with living for now, but then you can’t complain when you are a victim of your own decisions. Which Americans are very good at.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:24 AM   #44
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
There was a guy who wrote a whole report that basically said if Americans would buy used cars and keep for as long as possible, and then take the payment and save in a retirement account, they could retire early. So Americans are working forever to pay for their new shiny cars. Nothing wrong with living for now, but then you can’t complain when you are a victim of your own decisions. Which Americans are very good at.
True, but of course you can't have used cars unless you have new car buyers.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (05-13-2021), OkieSnuffBox (05-14-2021), soundman98 (05-16-2021), Tcoat (05-13-2021), Willpower (05-18-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 08:39 PM   #45
TAKECLEAR_86

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 Halo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Personally wouldn't go Supra, especially after driving it. Unless you're tracking hard core, I see VERY little reason to get it over the GR86, even then.. maybe a big power tune would be fun I guess.
If i get a Supra, I'm keeping my current 86 as a weekend cruiser, and it'll give me an actual reason to go FI.
TAKECLEAR_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:15 PM   #46
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKECLEAR_86 View Post
If i get a Supra, I'm keeping my current 86 as a weekend cruiser, and it'll give me an actual reason to go FI.
Okay that's better than an outright replacement then.
Old 05-16-2021, 02:46 PM   #47
Ernest72

Quote:
I like this idea.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:35 PM   #48
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
why is the question?
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:47 PM   #49
TAKECLEAR_86

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
why is the question?
Because it's a paid off reliable potential project car. I can't tell you how many people I've seen with "project cars" that sit 90% of the time because the car was garbage to begin with.

The only car I'd ever get rid of my 86 for is a 1st Gen Celica or a super clean SW20 MR2. Problem with that is people want ridiculous amounts of money for cars that need to be in a junkyard, or they cut up the bodies to throw on stupid early 00's body kits.
The Following User Says Thank You to TAKECLEAR_86 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-20-2021)
Old 05-18-2021, 06:41 PM   #50
jflogerzi

Garage
Quote:
Because it's a paid off reliable potential project car. I can't tell you how many people I've seen with "project cars" that sit 90% of the time because the car was garbage to begin with.

The only car I'd ever get rid of my 86 for is a 1st Gen Celica or a super clean SW20 MR2. Problem with that is people want ridiculous amounts of money for cars that need to be in a junkyard, or they cut up the bodies to throw on stupid early 00's body kits.
so the Supra would be a daily drive? Man thats a nice Daily Driver but resisting to add mods would be hard. Plan to get an Electric car in the next 1-2 years to become my daily. FRS will become weekend and track toy only. Wife will have the family hauler.
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
Stonehorsw (06-09-2021), TAKECLEAR_86 (05-18-2021)
Old 05-18-2021, 07:45 PM   #51
TAKECLEAR_86

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
so the Supra would be a daily drive? Man thats a nice Daily Driver but resisting to add mods would be hard. Plan to get an Electric car in the next 1-2 years to become my daily. FRS will become weekend and track toy only. Wife will have the family hauler.
The only thing I plan on doing to the Supra is adding some carbon bits. Maybe an exhaust. Won't be touching the suspension or engine at all.
Old 05-18-2021, 07:51 PM   #52
jflogerzi

Garage
Quote:
The only thing I plan on doing to the Supra is adding some carbon bits. Maybe an exhaust. Won't be touching the suspension or engine at all.
Stock exhaust is pretty damn good from the factory

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
Old 05-19-2021, 09:08 PM   #53
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
The whole idea that you should wait till the end of your life to enjoy your life doesn't make sense to me.

Sure I might have less to retire on, but how likely is it that your ability to enjoy life has degraded, and how likely are you to wallow in regret of a life spent avoiding experience you now might not be able to have?

I'm not saying people shouldn't be responsible, or that your shouldn't have a safety net. I mean I totally think everyone should stop renting and buy/build a home, its way less scary than it seems, and gives you a good financial position no matter how you spend your free cash.
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blighty For This Useful Post:
dpfarr (05-20-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 09:50 PM   #54
Ernest72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blighty View Post
The whole idea that you should wait till the end of your life to enjoy your life doesn't make sense to me.

Sure I might have less to retire on, but how likely is it that your ability to enjoy life has degraded, and how likely are you to wallow in regret of a life spent avoiding experience you now might not be able to have?

I'm not saying people shouldn't be responsible, or that your shouldn't have a safety net. I mean I totally think everyone should stop renting and buy/build a home, its way less scary than it seems, and gives you a good financial position no matter how you spend your free cash.
Not saying to wait until the end of your life. Plenty of enjoyment out of my 18 year old WRX and my 16 BRZ. And I have a ton of cash saved up for my next project. Many others in that 18 years have chased the new shiny thing which is rarely much better then the previous one. I actually enjoy what I own, imagine having 2 enthusiast cars and another one maybe next year when I turn 50, and no payments. Fun and freedom.

There are some on this forum, plenty in society and many of my friends who have burned through many more cars in that 18 years, always have a payment and at the end have nothing to show for it.

I have a friend who has leased cars for the last 25 years. Man the money he spent could buy some pretty nice cars.

But all that really matters is that you are happy with your life and decisions., not what some dude on an Internet forum thinks.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post:
Blighty (05-20-2021), Dadhawk (05-20-2021), Stonehorsw (06-09-2021), Tcoat (05-20-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 11:50 AM   #55
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Not saying to wait until the end of your life.
Oh of course - I didn't say you did say that, I was just responding to your comment about some guy who did a study, one that really boils down to saying that if you don't spend money during your life before retirement you will have more money for retirement. His specific example was how you could save on new cars by running used into the ground ect., and well I think its pretty funny someone is getting paid to come up with captain obvious shit like that, but hey - its a science n stuff right, so it must be important!

Quote:
But all that really matters is that you are happy with your life and decisions., not what some dude on an Internet forum thinks.
Deep. No sure if wanting your life to always be happy is part of a balanced world view, but its better than saying all that matters is that your unhappy!
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 12:10 PM   #56
Ernest72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blighty View Post
Oh of course - I didn't say you did say that, I was just responding to your comment about some guy who did a study, one that really boils down to saying that if you don't spend money during your life before retirement you will have more money for retirement. His specific example was how you could save on new cars by running used into the ground ect., and well I think its pretty funny someone is getting paid to come up with captain obvious shit like that, but hey - its a science n stuff right, so it must be important!

Deep. No sure if wanting your life to always be happy is part of a balanced world view, but its better than saying all that matters is that your unhappy!
Yeah it’s a balance for sure. But you need to find a way to save money because if you invest it compounds. So not spending a dollar now could be a hundred later. And I am not preaching, I have made plenty of bad financial decisions. Lucky they did not hurt too bad.

But I really feel keeping the right car after you have no payments is a no-brainer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post:
Blighty (05-24-2021)