follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List
Doborder, orthojoe

Old 09-08-2016, 05:39 PM   #211
sevenmarc

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Edition 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hey guys, quick question. I had my car up on stands today, but couldn't get the fill plugs off of either the trans or the diff; I'm need some PB blaster, I think. I also couldn't get my 10mm hex in the fill plug for the trans while attached to my ratchet thanks to the 1/2in to 3/8in adapter; I'm going to need to grab a 3/8in ratchet as well.

My question is this: how are you guys using the Motul 300 to fill the trans without a pump in that tiny space? I looked everywhere for pics or videos, but couldn't find any.
sevenmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sevenmarc For This Useful Post:
ThisGuyRett (09-24-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 05:44 PM   #212
Maverick986

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenmarc View Post
Hey guys, quick question. I had my car up on stands today, but couldn't get the fill plugs off of either the trans or the diff; I'm need some PB blaster, I think. I also couldn't get my 10mm hex in the fill plug for the trans while attached to my ratchet thanks to the 1/2in to 3/8in adapter; I'm going to need to grab a 3/8in ratchet as well.

My question is this: how are you guys using the Motul 300 to fill the trans without a pump in that tiny space? I looked everywhere for pics or videos, but couldn't find any.
I have not changed my transmission oil yet on my BRZ, but when changing on other cars I've had, I've used some vinyl tubing and a funnel. I snake the tubing through the top of the engine down into the transmission, making sure to get enough tubing in so that it doesn't just pop back out (happened once). Then put. The funnel into the tube and pour in the oil.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Maverick986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:53 PM   #213
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:

Here you go. Make sure you have new crush washers for the diff. Also make sure you have some way to catch the transmission fluid. It comes out sideways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
Here you go. For the transmission, the bottle fits nicely up alongside the transmission. Massage the fill tube to get any kinks out and give the bottle small squeezes to assist with the filling process. It shouldn't need to be said, but put the fill tube in the hole before you raise the bottle. Also, put the fill tube in the actual fill hole and not the gap in the fins just in front of the fill hole. It's kind of embarrassing to pour brand new transmission fluid down the side of the transmission and all over your arm before realizing that you're a dumbass.

The diff is more difficult, especially with the newer, more square bottles. You can't really get the bottle up above the fill port until it's mostly empty and you can crush it a little. Get it as high as you can and squeeze it pretty hard to force the fluid up and out. Once that doesn't work anymore, squish the bottle up in front of the axle shaft and keep going. It's ok if you wad the bottle up to get it up there, because you'll be throwing it out anyways. It isn't a 100% solution, but it's good enough. You can always unscrew the tops of the bottles to transfer any remaining fluid into the next bottle.

gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
ddevl_86 (04-02-2021)
Old 09-08-2016, 11:03 PM   #214
sevenmarc

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Edition 10
Thank you; this is really helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
Here you go. Make sure you have new crush washers for the diff. Also make sure you have some way to catch the transmission fluid. It comes out sideways.
sevenmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:59 AM   #215
Astroboy

Drives: None
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

A pump is only like 10 dollars at O'Reilly's. But that motul method others are using looks faster on the trans

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:51 PM   #216
ap5512

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
So i've changed my transmissions fluid in the past around 15K miles but never touched the Diff. Is there a noticeable difference once you change it?
Old 09-19-2016, 06:11 PM   #217
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap5512 View Post
So i've changed my transmissions fluid in the past around 15K miles but never touched the Diff. Is there a noticeable difference once you change it?
Yea, you see a ton of metal shavings in your old fluid. You do not feel any difference from a driving perspective.
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to B-R-Z For This Useful Post:
ap5512 (09-20-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 03:09 AM   #218
brz2727

Drives: white brz
so its that time for mr to change out my transmission fluid and diff fluid also any suggestions my car is running on e85 if that matters i don't run my car all that much but i want a quality fluid for both need help!
brz2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:06 PM   #219
Calvin27

Drives: GTS
Has anyone done the MT fluid change and noticed it got worse? Does it need to 'run in'? I went for motul fluid as per most of the suggestions here and it actually feels more clunky than what I originally had in there. (I presume it was oem because there were a lot of metal shavings). I drove the car for about 5km changing gears slowly and it improved a bit but the feel is still very notchy compared to previous. freaking out I did something wrong - I made sure i filled it the correct amount, no sure what else could have gone wrong.
Calvin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 01:07 PM   #220
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin27 View Post
Has anyone done the MT fluid change and noticed it got worse? Does it need to 'run in'? I went for motul fluid as per most of the suggestions here and it actually feels more clunky than what I originally had in there. (I presume it was oem because there were a lot of metal shavings). I drove the car for about 5km changing gears slowly and it improved a bit but the feel is still very notchy compared to previous. freaking out I did something wrong - I made sure i filled it the correct amount, no sure what else could have gone wrong.
It shouldn't be worse or really take any time to run-in.

What fluid did you use?
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:04 PM   #221
Calvin27

Drives: GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by continuecrushing View Post
It shouldn't be worse or really take any time to run-in.

What fluid did you use?
Motul 300.
Calvin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 01:50 PM   #222
fl4t

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ '05 STi OBP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin27 View Post
I am feeling the exact same way with Motul 300. It feels the same if not a bit notchier particularly downshifting into 5th at highway speeds.
fl4t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:15 PM   #223
Mr Nerd

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl4t View Post
I am feeling the exact same way with Motul 300. It feels the same if not a bit notchier particularly downshifting into 5th at highway speeds.
Some good info for everyone to take a moment and read.

https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5865b51e...nsaxle_oil.pdf
Mr Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr Nerd For This Useful Post:
catsspat (01-08-2017), KL (01-03-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 10:38 AM   #224
arxm

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2023 BRZ
so as per my understanding as I've never done this before on any car is that i need 2.2L of motul 300 75w-90 for the transmission, and can I use the same stuff for the diff?

2023 Ignition Red BRZ 6MT awaiting boost
arxm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
differential, diy, fluid, transmission