follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Marketplace > User/Vendor/Sponsor Reviews, Feedback, Comments

User Tag List

Old 12-02-2014, 01:52 AM   #29
dhuang
Cannonball Record Guy

Drives: Series.Yellow, 4C, Fit
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Thanks for the heads up. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

I had a GTI myself, and ended up driving all the way to APR's headquarters in Auburn to get my basic Stage I tune done correctly.

If I ever do decide to extensively modify my 86, I will never let them touch my car, and make sure to warn others.
dhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:06 AM   #30
Noz

Drives: Ultramarine Blue FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This forum is full of pretentious pricks that feel the need to put down people for no good reason. Kicking you while you're down when all you're doing is trying to help out the community.... go figure.
Noz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Noz For This Useful Post:
86-tundra (12-02-2014)
Old 12-02-2014, 04:21 AM   #31
Manic
Is not fast.

Drives: 2014 Whiteout M/T
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noz View Post
This forum is full of pretentious pricks that feel the need to put down people for no good reason. Kicking you while you're down when all you're doing is trying to help out the community.... go figure.
Conversely, those people are also educating others of the importance of doing basic research before 'investing' thousands of dollars on a shop because you thought someone was your friend.

Hindsight 20/20, he managed to figure out that others have been screwed over by this shop and could have just as easily avoided them. While the OP's warning is valid, the others' warnings about properly vetting someone is equally valid.
Manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:29 AM   #32
kuidaore

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMoore412 View Post
People like this stay in business because they are little girls that open up LLC's in there wife's names to avoid action against them his name isn't even on the LLC. At this point the lawyer said "if he settles and wants a letter stating you won't talk about it would you be able to?" and my answer was no. After all the stress and money he has cost me I want to make sure that every show I go to and everyone I see knows my story so this guy doesn't have a chance to do it to anyone else. Even if I put him out of business he would find someone else to put the LLC under and reopen again.
I don't know where you got his wife's name since the Secretary of State database in GA shows it is under his own name...

https://cgov.sos.state.ga.us/Account...tityId=2238367

https://cgov.sos.state.ga.us/Account...tityId=2365132

https://cgov.sos.state.ga.us/Account...tityId=3608133

You need to lawyer up and get this resolved. The photos you've shared and sending it to another shop or two for a professional opinion will go a long way.
kuidaore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kuidaore For This Useful Post:
asdf (12-02-2014)
Old 12-02-2014, 04:35 AM   #33
Noz

Drives: Ultramarine Blue FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post
Conversely, those people are also educating others of the importance of doing basic research before 'investing' thousands of dollars on a shop because you thought someone was your friend.

Hindsight 20/20, he managed to figure out that others have been screwed over by this shop and could have just as easily avoided them. While the OP's warning is valid, the others' warnings about properly vetting someone is equally valid.
I get that, but just by reading the OPs story, the lesson he is trying to portray is obvious. What these people are doing are reiterating what the OP said by making assumptions and saying "you're an idiot". What kind of help and support is that?
Noz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:50 AM   #34
asdf
Loading...████████] 99%

Drives: #0517
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuidaore View Post
I don't know where you got his wife's name since the Secretary of State database in GA shows it is under his own name...

https://cgov.sos.state.ga.us/Account...tityId=2238367

https://cgov.sos.state.ga.us/Account...tityId=2365132

https://cgov.sos.state.ga.us/Account...tityId=3608133

You need to lawyer up and get this resolved. The photos you've shared and sending it to another shop or two for a professional opinion will go a long way.
The person listed could just be an agent who filed the articles of org for the LLC w/ the state-- the ownership of the LLC may not be necessarily in his name, would have to look at the entity documents.

Best of luck OP
asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:45 AM   #35
Chad11491

Drives: 85.5 Porsche 944, '15 mustang GT PP
This is one of the reasons I'd like a Z. I know no reliable highly recommended tuners for the 86 platform in the atl area. I Go to school literally next to forged performance and hear horror stories of them, but at least with a Z I'd have Z1 local. But man, thanks for giving people a heads up. It is valuable information.
Chad11491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:49 AM   #36
echo419

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,057 Times in 1,879 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad11491 View Post
This is one of the reasons I'd like a Z. I know no reliable highly recommended tuners for the 86 platform in the atl area. I Go to school literally next to forged performance and hear horror stories of them, but at least with a Z I'd have Z1 local. But man, thanks for giving people a heads up. It is valuable information.
I think the guy that owns Gran Turismo has a boosted BRZ/FRS but I'm not sure I've got the right place but someone does.

yeah, I realize that I was literally no there.
echo419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:00 AM   #37
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I'm more curious what the OP does with his time lol

If he is dropping 50k to mod new cars and he sounds like he owns a shop. If it's not worth his time to do 7k of labor, I'd love to see the work he puts out

Or maybe he just makes that much money, either way props OP hope everything work out for you
Old 12-02-2014, 09:03 AM   #38
buddy32

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
So does Doug at Topspeed
buddy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:23 AM   #39
J_kennington

Drives: 2013 asphalt scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noz View Post
I get that, but just by reading the OPs story, the lesson he is trying to portray is obvious. What these people are doing are reiterating what the OP said by making assumptions and saying "you're an idiot". What kind of help and support is that?
What assumptions did l make?

That the shop is well known for being crooks and swindlers that put out horrible work? Proven fact with a simple Google search.

Or that the op did no research on the shop, because his friend works there? OP admitted it.

Also never called him an idiot.

Yes, it's cool that he is trying to "warn" people. But as stated, if people did research on a shop BEFORE they get a destroyed car back from it, none of this would have happened.

Fyi, last I heard top speed got rid of doug. Wonder if we could get an official statement about that...
2005 Yamaha yz250f
J_kennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:29 AM   #40
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Sorry to hear about all the issues you had! Judging by the pictures and descriptions, it sounds like they had no idea what they were doing. Hope you're able to get your money back and then some in court.

Coming from the owner of a MK6 GTI, if you're doing that much work on the car (stage 3, rods/internals, BBK, etc.), it's probably best to take it to APR. They're only about 2.5 hrs away from you, but worth it IMO. There are also 1-2 local shops I would trust who specialize on Volks/Audis, but that's about it.

It's good that you posted this up though. If it saves anyone else from getting burned by this shop, then this post was worth it.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:36 AM   #41
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Sorry to hear about all the issues you had! Judging by the pictures and descriptions, it sounds like they had no idea what they were doing. Hope you're able to get your money back and then some in court.

Coming from the owner of a MK6 GTI, if you're doing that much work on the car (stage 3, rods/internals, BBK, etc.), it's probably best to take it to APR. They're only about 2.5 hrs away from you, but worth it IMO. There are also 1-2 local shops I would trust who specialize on Volks/Audis, but that's about it.

It's good that you posted this up though. If it saves anyone else from getting burned by this shop, then this post was worth it.
He said APR declined his business.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:43 AM   #42
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
He said APR declined his business.
Ah sorry I must have missed that part. That's too bad, they did $15k worth of upgrades on my friend's (track) TT-RS and he was happy with the work.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote