follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 01-03-2014, 04:02 PM   #15
Enraged21
#RememberTheBuster

Drives: Firestorm FRS MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfcman View Post
Hi @diss7 and @Moto-P,

I have purchased and recieved a Black*i, however, my main purpose was to have better performance rather than looks. I feel that I have purchased the wrong coilovers, at what height setting would you suggest me to go with?

yeah you should have went with Sport-i
Enraged21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enraged21 For This Useful Post:
hfcman (01-03-2014)
Old 01-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #16
hfcman

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I cannot swap it, because I have ordered it online, since there are not many vendors carry RS*R in Canada.

I don't track my car, I am just hoping to improve handling on the street.

Is there a way I could setup the Black-i to mimic the Sports-i? I understand the spring rates, valve rates etc are different.

I guess, I will start with -30mm and see how it handles compare to stock.

Thanks alot bros!
hfcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:26 PM   #17
Enraged21
#RememberTheBuster

Drives: Firestorm FRS MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I think they said it will ride similar to stock.

According to this website it's best to drop 30mm front 35mm rear

http://rs-r.myshopify.com/collection...r-s-subaru-brz
@hfcman
Enraged21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enraged21 For This Useful Post:
hfcman (01-04-2014)
Old 01-03-2014, 04:36 PM   #18
Gixxersixxerman

Drives: Toyota GT86, 66 beetle, 11 GSXR 750
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfcman View Post
I cannot swap it, because I have ordered it online, since there are not many vendors carry RS*R in Canada.

I don't track my car, I am just hoping to improve handling on the street.

Is there a way I could setup the Black-i to mimic the Sports-i? I understand the spring rates, valve rates etc are different.

I guess, I will start with -30mm and see how it handles compare to stock.

Thanks alot bros!
I think if you set the ride hieght properly you'll be more then fine.. Don't read I to this as, installing the black-I ruin he handling.. I've been in both, I own the sport-I as I do go to track days and autoX, the ride is good, I rode with moto at SoW and think of Bunta how he drives.. Smooth calm and very fast.. I was so shocked at the ride I gave up buying the KW's that I was going for riding with robispec because I just loved how very smooth and controlled the car felt.. The RSR car (I don't remember who was driving) felt the same, whether he was trying for grip, or drifting around.. In the passenger seat the car felt in control the whole time.. Now when I rode in Tea brothers car, I could feel a difference in over all performance, but it felt better on the street.. Like that you forgot your in a car a couple inches off the ground.. If your looking for a better ride, and maybe a bit better performance, I think your not going to be disappointed.. But if your looking for over all performance, I think you got the wrong setup
Gixxersixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gixxersixxerman For This Useful Post:
hfcman (01-04-2014), Moto-P (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 11:13 AM   #19
Moto-P

Drives: Many types of cars in R&D.
Thanked 3,058 Times in 568 Posts
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I wouldn't say the wrong setup, really... Probabaly not the most accurate, but think of it this way.

At 30mm drop on the Black-i you're still a little short on extension stroke of the Sports-i, due to the design of it being for a much deeper drop, the Black-i is close in damping and spring rates, and still moreover, 90% of the capability of the car still rests in the driving skills. So you'll be just as quick for a long time to come, and shocks are a maintenance item that will wear out eventually in 50,000 miles or so of city driving or 30,000 with some track mixed in there before you need a rebuild or replacement to retain optimal performance.

I can be just as fast with the Black-i at 30mm down as Sports-i on most raceways that don't have huge undulations, and it just takes a little different skill set to drive it than Sports-i. AS long as you're not chasing major titles and trophies, you'll be fine with the Black-i, provided you are happy with it both on and off the track. Just don't drop it too much as the issue with excessively lowered cars are not really the shocks and springs, but more in the dymanic alignment inherent to the FR-S. That is having a very short range of ideal height range with short Subaru arms borrowed from the Impreza. That's true for any coilover systems, as it is the design of the car that has the limitations.

Just set it up correctly, and go practice. As specs of the car really, should not be the main focus until the driver's spec is up to par to really make that difference. A car like the FR-S is, just like an AE86 of the past, and should be kept and used as a tool to learn the art of driving for the rest of your life... a long time to come.
Consulting Member at Cusco, OEM+, RS-R.
www.club4ag.com
Moto-P is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Moto-P For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (01-30-2014), diss7 (01-30-2014), Gixxersixxerman (01-30-2014), supramkivtt2jz (01-30-2014)

Tags
black-i, eibach, rsr, sportline, sports-i