follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 11-14-2021, 05:17 PM   #29
CIH_Nut

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I just got done with my 3rd time replacing the drain plug after the first oil change and thanks to this thread I finally found the right crush washer and don’t want to go through the process again. I purchased a box of 10 the

Dorman 095-159 Engine Oil Drain Plug Gasket for Select Scion / Subaru / Toyota Models, 10 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IWLKK1S...ing=UTF8&psc=1

We put in fresh 20 weight Mobile 1 the first time on the change and left out the gasket I didn’t see. The second time I used a copper crush washer and still got a drip. I didn’t like how dirty it was so we added the fresh 5 quart jug of the same oil this morning with the right gasket. Ran the engine for a minute and checked the dipstick, it was a little under 1/2 quart low so we added another 1/2 quart.

After it sits for 1/2 hour or so now it’s about 1/4 quart too high. I don’t really want to go through the process again but should I ? Is there any real concern that we will blow out a front or rear seal?

Fortunately we haven’t detected any oil loss even though we see the slow oil leaks on the front timing cover so I’m anticipating that it will remain this high if I leave it until the next oil change. Looking for advice or similar experience?
CIH_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 05:40 PM   #30
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
i don't normally worry about being a 1/2 quart high. worst case, it's a little high on startup, but once it fills all the galley's and valvetrain, it easily takes that up.
Old 11-14-2021, 06:07 PM   #31
CIH_Nut

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thank you for your prompt reply. After I wrote this while waiting I checked on the internet and once the word siphon was mentioned I got out some vacuum lines and adapted them to the gear oil pump, tried the method on the old oil to also get rid of the residual gear oil. I actually pulled closer to 1/2 quart from the sump.

So right after shutting down the engine the engine keeps about 1/2 quart or more above the sump level. I’m glad to read this reply, it makes us feel better that we probably haven’t harmed anything �� thank you
CIH_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote