follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 04-11-2018, 12:49 PM   #85
Sc629

Drives: 2017 86 Asphalt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvoll View Post
I would like to lower the car an inch for looks, but I do think that might have an effect on ride quality. I was looking at the TRD springs as they would not require any other suspension changes. Since you have those springs, what are your thoughts on on them? All of the damper alternatives seem to be stiffer than stock, so they are not part of my picture. Even the adjustable Koni's are stiffer.
Hi, I have the TRD springs on my car with everything else stock.
The small drop makes a big difference in how it looks. Looks so much better imo and it's the perfect height for me. The car definitely corners flatter too. Ride quality is a bit stiffer but not excessively. I daily drive mine on shit roads and you'll feel those bumps but it's definitely tolerable still. Highly recommend
Sc629 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sc629 For This Useful Post:
rvoll (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 05:15 PM   #86
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
I'm not saying wider wheels/tires are necessary on a stock build but the stock body proportions and wheel gap/recess leave more to be desired that stock-ish wheels can never fill. Worth changing for a negligible performance hit (if any) especially if not being raced.

My opinion on my TRD springs is worthless because I simultaneously installed them with Bilstein B8 which are quite stiff to the point that I'm glad I don't daily drove on them. I believe B8 replaced Bilstein's HD or heavy duty line of struts such as for trucks. I chose the B8 because Bilstein offers a B12 Pro-Kit which consists of the same B8 shocks and Eibach Pro-Kit springs which should be identical to TRD USA springs (same height and my TRDs included Eibach bump stops). But the combo is perfect for street (progressive springs which track guys hate). Better than anything I've had ( STI springs the Eibach Sportlines both on stock struts then ST coilovers). Greater handling confidence, sleeker look, and bump clearance (no bottoming out unlike Sportlines). You should do fine with stock shocks if not Bilstein B6 (not sure if those have more damping or more comfort). Here is a spring rate comparison table (Eibach Pro-Kit should be representative of TRD USA rates as the TRD springs in this table refer to the ones included in TRD Japan's adjustable coilover kit):

Code:
SPRINGS             Front/Rate     Rear/Rate      Part #        MSRP
OEM Toyota 86       0.0"/2.3k      0.0"/3.3k      TBD           $---
OEM Toyota GT86 (EU)0.0"/2.3k      0.0"/3.3k      TBD           $---
OEM Scion FR-S M/T  0.0"/2.3k      0.0"/3.8k    F:SU003-04144   $83.90
                                                R:SU003-04147   $83.90
OEM Scion FR-S A/T  0.0"/2.3k      0.0"/3.8k    F:SU003-04145   $83.90
                                                R:SU003-04147   $83.90
OEM Subaru BRZ M/T  0.0"/2.7k      0.0"/3.5k    F:20330CA010    $79.70
                                                R:20380CA010    $79.70
OEM Subaru BRZ A/T  0.0"/2.7k      0.0"/3.5k    F:20330CA020    $79.70
                                                R:20380CA010    $79.70
Code:
SPRINGS             Front/Rate     Rear/Rate      Part #        MSRP
Eibach Pro-Kit      1.0"/3.6k      1.0"/4.9k      8210.5.140    $359
Eibach Sportline    1.4"/3.8k      1.4"/5.3k      4.10582       $359
Espelir Active GT   0.5"/3.2k      0.5"/5.0k      4536190109385 $TBD
Hotchkis Sport      1.0"/3.3k      1.0"/4.7K      19445         $221
Intrax              ---            ---            ---           $---
Mach V              0.7"/TBD       1.0"/TBD       TBD           $239
Race Comp Yellow    0.8"/4.5k      0.8"/4.5k      RCE-BRZ       $349
RS-R Down           0.5"/2.8k      0.5"/4.5k      T065D         $TBD
RS-R S/Down         1.0"/3.2k      1.2"/4.5k      T065S         $TBD
RS-R Ti2000 Down    0.5"/2.8k      0.5"/4.5k      T065TD        $TBD
RS-R Ti2000 S/Down  1.0"/3.2k      1.2"/4.5k      T065TS        $TBD
Swift Sport FRS     1.0"/3.0kg     1.0"/4.5kg     4T909         $399
Swift Sport BRZ     1.0"/3.8kg     1.0"/4.5kg     4F912         $399
STi Pink            0.6"/TBD       0.6"/TBD     F:ST20330AS000  $210.97
                                                R:ST20380AS000
Tein H-Tech *NOTE*  0.9"/2.9k      0.7"/4.8k      SKSA0-G1B00   $TBD
Tein S-Tech *NOTE*  1.2"/3.3k      1.0"/5.0k      SKQ54-AUB00   $280
TRD (same set on CO)0.6"/3.5k      0.6"/5.8k      MS260-18001   $548.00
*Red/bold links denote link to review topic on FT86club.com

Table is from this useful thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8739

Last edited by switchlanez; 04-11-2018 at 05:36 PM.
switchlanez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to switchlanez For This Useful Post:
rvoll (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 09:32 PM   #87
rvoll

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited, 2017 Sportage
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
rvoll: are you sure on MPS4S thread width being narrower then oem? IIRC Primacies had rather narrow width for "specced width", and at least PSS on contrary had relatively very wide for a size.
I looked at Michelin's chart, and they were narrower than the competition and Primacies. You can download the chart directly from Michelin. I have not measured it myself, but I would tend to believe the manufacturer. I think they made it narrower to get a special designation that they advertise, but I don't know for sure that is true. In any event, without the capability of testing all of the options myself, I'll go with Tirerack's customer ratings. If any of you have these tires and are convinced the ratings are wrong, please let me know.
rvoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:35 PM   #88
rvoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc629 View Post
Hi, I have the TRD springs on my car with everything else stock.
The small drop makes a big difference in how it looks. Looks so much better imo and it's the perfect height for me. The car definitely corners flatter too. Ride quality is a bit stiffer but not excessively. I daily drive mine on shit roads and you'll feel those bumps but it's definitely tolerable still. Highly recommend
I think I'll wait on the springs change until I get a few months under my belt and see how my wife reacts to the stock springs. If I can get away with it, and still stay married, I'll probably have them installed.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:46 PM   #89
rvoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
I'm not saying wider wheels/tires are necessary on a stock build but the stock body proportions and wheel gap/recess leave more to be desired that stock-ish wheels can never fill. Worth changing for a negligible performance hit (if any) especially if not being raced.
It's the old statement that you can't have everything!!!!! I've lowered the suspension of many of my previous cars, but they had a much smoother OEM ride than does the BRZ, so there was more room for added stiffness. There is quite a jump in spring rates, which doesn't make me feel good about the change. Thanks for the detailed information -- I like to see the data.

The way it is looking, Subaru did a pretty good job of setting up the car correctly at the OEM level, so it is really difficult to make changes that don't compromise something....

By the way, the TRD lowering springs now have this part number: PTR0718130. And there is a warning as follows:

"Due to regulatory requirements these TRD Lowering Springs should not be sold on vehicles equipped with the Genuine Toyota accessory fog lamps (PT413-18130)."

I wonder if the ones you are referencing are an older model. These are supposed to lower the car just over 1".
Old 04-11-2018, 11:16 PM   #90
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Quote:
It's the old statement that you can't have everything!!!!! I've lowered the suspension of many of my previous cars, but they had a much smoother OEM ride than does the BRZ, so there was more room for added stiffness. There is quite a jump in spring rates, which doesn't make me feel good about the change. Thanks for the detailed information -- I like to see the data.

The TRD USA springs I have (part number you referenced) aren't listed in that table. Like I said, reference the Eibach Pro-Kit because they give the same drop and Eibach makes the TRD springs with Eibach branded bump stops included in the TRD kit.

The way it is looking, Subaru did a pretty good job of setting up the car correctly at the OEM level, so it is really difficult to make changes that don't compromise something....

By the way, the TRD lowering springs now have this part number: PTR0718130. And there is a warning as follows:

"Due to regulatory requirements these TRD Lowering Springs should not be sold on vehicles equipped with the Genuine Toyota accessory fog lamps (PT413-18130)."

I wonder if the ones you are referencing are an older model. These are supposed to lower the car just over 1".
The TRD springs in the table I posted are for the JDM adjustable coilover kit. The part number you referenced has always had that caveat and it's due to a law (not sure about federal/D.O.T. but I've read it in CA vehicle code) requiring lights needing to be a certain height for visibility to drivers up ahead and through their rear view mirror, etc. Of course, I've never heard of cops checking for this in practice. The Release Series 1.0 FR-S had TRD springs from factory with small lights just above where fog lights would be that could easily be confused as fog lights.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:29 PM   #91
rvoll

Quote:
The TRD springs in the table I posted are for the JDM adjustable coilover kit. The part number you referenced has always had that caveat and it's due to a law (not sure about federal/D.O.T. but I've read it in CA vehicle code) requiring lights needing to be a certain height for visibility to drivers up ahead and through their rear view mirror, etc. Of course, I've never heard of cops checking for this in practice. The Release Series 1.0 FR-S had TRD springs from factory with small lights just above where fog lights would be that could easily be confused as fog lights.

Yeah, I don't think Mueller will come after us on that one. Do you know the spring rates on the TRD springs I referenced? They are currently listed as an accessory on the 86 site. I couldn't seem to find the specs on that one.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:45 PM   #92
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Quote:
Yeah, I don't think Mueller will come after us on that one. Do you know the spring rates on the TRD springs I referenced? They are currently listed as an accessory on the 86 site. I couldn't seem to find the specs on that one.
The TRD springs are made by Eibach and include their bump stops. Seeing as they're the same height as Eibach Pro-Kit I'd reference that model on the table. My friend worked at Toyota corporate distribution and saw TRD's sway bar supplier was Eibach.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:07 AM   #93
rvoll

Quote:
The TRD springs are made by Eibach and include their bump stops. Seeing as they're the same height as Eibach Pro-Kit I'd reference that model on the table. My friend worked at Toyota corporate distribution and saw TRD's sway bar supplier was Eibach.
Thanks. That helps a lot. It tells me that there will be a noticeable difference in ride quality. Damn, damn, damn..... A lowered car just looks better...
Old 04-12-2018, 06:56 AM   #94
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
It's the old statement that you can't have everything!!!!! I've lowered the suspension of many of my previous cars, but they had a much smoother OEM ride than does the BRZ, so there was more room for added stiffness. There is quite a jump in spring rates, which doesn't make me feel good about the change.
The damping quality is within the cost restrictions of the specific car. They tried to improve the quality twice with damper revisions, but you can say that the difference is still not that much. Many of us solved this by changing to higher quality monotube coilovers and even with stiffer springs we saw a very noticeable improvement. However, such an option will cost you. As you said you cannot have everything! Cheap and high quality/performance at same time ...
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:27 AM   #95
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Because of the boxer layout and resulting low center of gravity the engineers tuned the stock suspension softer than normal for this type of car. So that affords you some wiggle room. Couple that with a compliant tire choice (if comfier but stickier than stock exists) and TRD springs might be viable.

I hear Ohlins or KW V3 may do all you need but I haven't plunged into that realm of mid/higher end suspension.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:05 AM   #96
rvoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
The damping quality is within the cost restrictions of the specific car. They tried to improve the quality twice with damper revisions, but you can say that the difference is still not that much. Many of us solved this by changing to higher quality monotube coilovers and even with stiffer springs we saw a very noticeable improvement. However, such an option will cost you. As you said you cannot have everything! Cheap and high quality/performance at same time ...
Are you saying that with coilovers I can get a less stiff ride? Any recommendations? Cost is not really an issue for me except that I hate to pay for things that don't deliver much more.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:06 AM   #97
rvoll

Quote:
Because of the boxer layout and resulting low center of gravity the engineers tuned the stock suspension softer than normal for this type of car. So that affords you some wiggle room. Couple that with a compliant tire choice (if comfier but stickier than stock exists) and TRD springs might be viable.

I hear Ohlins or KW V3 may do all you need but I haven't plunged into that realm of mid/higher end suspension.
Thanks. I'll follow up on that.... I'd love to have my cake and eat it too....
Old 04-13-2018, 02:30 AM   #98
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:

I think it's more a function of many cars now designed to ride on bump stops at about 7/10th that allows the car to be compliant but then get a higher effective spring rate when driven hard.
Quote:
Are you saying that with coilovers I can get a less stiff ride? Any recommendations? Cost is not really an issue for me except that I hate to pay for things that don't deliver much more.
A good suspension can feel a lot better since it can keep you more off the bump stop and be more controlled. The most comfortable miata I had ran 800/500 and least comfortable was 550/350. If price is no option look to jrz or penske or the like.