follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-24-2018, 12:03 PM   #57
rvoll

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited, 2017 Sportage
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikna View Post
I checked the mats at Amazon and it's priced at $77, Amazon says this mat doesn't fit 2018 BRZ. Where did you get it from and how much? Thanks.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...MMG9MQ21RJS5V9
I don't remember where I got them, but I assumed the floor pattern is the same because Speedfactory sells the same ones for all years. The Amazon price is about as good as you can get.
rvoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:08 PM   #58
rvoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
I would remove the factory mats, anything over them has a chance of bunching up under the gas or brake pedal and that would be bad. It may not ever happen but if it does...
These mats are rigid and form fitted. They are much stiffer and lighter than Weathertech and they just don't move and won't bunch up. It has worked for me. I have had mats, including Weathertech, that have moved because they are less stiff, so I know what you mean. I like the added sound insulation of keeping the factory mats underneath.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:21 PM   #59
rvoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
I started in a TR6, plus we had two MGs in the garage also, as well as several Corvettes of various vintages over the years. If you had a TR6, you have a much different frame of reference from a guy looking at Camaros and Mustangs. To us, the 86's ride is very comfortable in comparison to what we have driven in the past. To him, it's going to feel like he's getting the shit beat out of him while going too slow to justify the abuse.

So I stand by what I said. He should just forget this car and buy that Lexus he was looking at instead. Otherwise he'll be on here bitching about it for six months straight until he finally gives up and sells it to buy the Lexus anyway.
You may be right as neither of us knows this guy. However, I was surprised at how comfortable and quiet this car was -- much more sophisticated than the TR-6. My last sports car was a Porsche 928 GTS which I owned for a dozen or so years. It was a heavy GT with a big motor and very comfy seats. It was very different than the BRZ. It was a great car, but it was almost too isolated from the road. Again, the difference between the 2018 manual with PP and the 2018 Limited Auto is much more than you would logically assume in terms of driving experience and sound levels. The latter is much more civilized in traffic IMO. Even my wife noticed how much more comfortable and quiet the auto was over the manual with PP.

When I bought mine, the dealer had no automatics and I had to order it from the factory. Now, my dealer has several automatics -- more than manuals in his inventory. In fact, they are now selling more automatics than manuals which surprises even me.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:33 PM   #60
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvoll View Post
Again, the difference between the 2018 manual with PP and the 2018 Limited Auto is much more than you would logically assume in terms of driving experience and sound levels. The latter is much more civilized in traffic IMO. Even my wife noticed how much more comfortable and quiet the auto was over the manual with PP.
The choice of transmission makes no difference in the ride quality of the suspension. If you felt a difference in ride, it was the difference between the Performance Package suspension and the regular suspension, not the automatic transmission.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
krayzie (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 12:37 PM   #61
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
The choice of transmission makes no difference in the ride quality of the suspension. If you felt a difference in ride, it was the difference between the Performance Package suspension and the regular suspension, not the automatic transmission.
He probably has a heavy foot and needs to give a shit load of gas to even get the car rolling without stalling, thus the stick shift is not for him when negotiating heavy traffic.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:49 PM   #62
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Im pretty sure this is the reason why he prefers the auto vs the manual, and not because its an auto. There should be minimal difference between auto vs manual for these cars aside from fuel economy being better on the autos.

BUT.... I noticed that for the 18 BRZ's in Canada, with the "sport tech" (Limited) trim if you opt for a Manual, it comes with the Performance package (brembos + sachs dampers) standard, but if you opt for the automatic, it doesn't come with that. That would make the ride quality difference a bit more pronounced. And it doesn't appear that yo can get the PP with automatic, or the manual without it (unless you get a base trim)

Don't know if its equipped the same way in the US for the 18's.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:35 PM   #63
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
Im pretty sure this is the reason why he prefers the auto vs the manual, and not because its an auto. There should be minimal difference between auto vs manual for these cars aside from fuel economy being better on the autos.

BUT.... I noticed that for the 18 BRZ's in Canada, with the "sport tech" (Limited) trim if you opt for a Manual, it comes with the Performance package (brembos + sachs dampers) standard, but if you opt for the automatic, it doesn't come with that. That would make the ride quality difference a bit more pronounced. And it doesn't appear that yo can get the PP with automatic, or the manual without it (unless you get a base trim)

Don't know if its equipped the same way in the US for the 18's.
In the US the base model is the Premium trim, which can’t be had with the PP or an Automatic trans. The Limited trim does not come standard with the PP, it’s an optional add-on that costs about a grand more.
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:38 PM   #64
Kgm32

Drives: None yet
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
A lot of assumptions being made about me. First, I test drove the Mustang and Camaro because they are readIly available but both were the turbo 4s. The Talon I had was 140 hp, definitely not a speedster. So I am not a HP junky. The Lexus I test drove was actually the rc300 with 260 HP probably not all that much faster than the BRZ considering it has a nearly 4000 lb curb weight. Did i like it yes but at $40,000 for a used one, I should but I can also forgive some flaws on a car that is $10,000 less new. I grew up with a stick shift so I know how to drive them, just no longer want to, I don't even use the autostick I have now. They were fun when I was much younger and understand the appeal, just not for me any more. As for amenities not sure what the BRZ would be missing, the 6 disc CD changer my Eclipse has?

So I am looking for a car that I like the looks of which IMHO the BRZ is a great looking car (the lexus has a great side profile but I find the front end to be goofy looking and something I would have to learn to live with), is quick but not necessarily fast, handles well and has a comfortable ride. Like I said the first item on the list the BRZ passes, the other 3 I have no clue as I have never driven or rode in one. So, extrashaky may be right and I may hate it or may be wrong because all items on the list are subjective.
Kgm32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:52 PM   #65
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Here's a few...

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...-48226?rinno=1

https://www.suburbansubarutroy.com/n...rch=&model=BRZ
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 10:08 PM   #66
Kgm32

Drives: None yet
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks a white automatic came up on the autotrader list that is only a few miles from my mom's house. I will test drive it next week when I see her. Didn't come up on cars.com earlier this week but is there now.
Kgm32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:03 AM   #67
GrantedTaken
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
While the handling was great, it was much noisier than I liked and it was too stiff.
That's kind of the point.
Sports cars are not meant to have floaty mattress rides
GrantedTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:33 AM   #68
rvoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantedTaken View Post
That's kind of the point.
Sports cars are not meant to have floaty mattress rides
There is no one definition of a "sports car". They all have firm rides, but some are much firmer than others. Take a blindfolded ride in a lowered BRZ with coilovers and then a new 2018 auto at standard height. You won't think they are the same car. The same is true for "floaty mattress rides". Ride in a large BMW and then a Buick and you'll see the difference there. There is no reason you can't have decent ride quality in a sports car. For me, when I start getting jolts over expansion joints, the car is too firm and lacks any good ride quality. When tracking a car, I don't really care about ride quality -- but that is a completely different purpose.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:36 AM   #69
rvoll

Quote:
That's why I specifically put the PP in my comments. However, the final drive ratio and engines are different in the two cars. Ride quality includes "jerkiness" while shifting. Smoother shifts also improve "ride quality". Yes, you can shift a manual smoothly -- we all know how to do that. However, that's not the way most of us actually drive a manual.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:01 PM   #70
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
That's why I specifically put the PP in my comments. However, the final drive ratio and engines are different in the two cars. Ride quality includes "jerkiness" while shifting. Smoother shifts also improve "ride quality". Yes, you can shift a manual smoothly -- we all know how to do that. However, that's not the way most of us actually drive a manual.
I do. I'm the epitome of smooth