follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 09-27-2016, 07:44 AM   #3697
axelthrasher

Drives: BRZ, 2 WRXs, 818S, motorcycles, etc
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanguy View Post
Been battling my install since almost the beginning (August of last year). Continue to get the issue a lot of people have which is the CEL P0172. I've done everything I've found in this thread. Make sure the connection isn't too close to the alternator, clean the MAF, make sure the MAF is as vertical as possible. Checked all connections and everything is tight. I continue to get the CEL. Sometimes I'll get it within weeks, sometimes days. When everything is working it is such a joy to drive, but when it isn't working...

I just put in an order to CSG for a new air filter since mine is a little beat up(my kit is second hand) so I'm really hoping that will fix the issue. Otherwise I'm going to look into using the delicious tune with MAP sensor instead. Prefer to drive stock carb, but even more important is driving something reliable. I don't track and don't drive super hard all the time. I just want it working reliably. I'll report back one way or the other if the replacement filter works.
Not sure what other symptoms you may be having, but check my post here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...23#post2445223

My issues were caused by a MAF extension harness that had wires pulling out from the connector. This was something that I believe was a manufacturing issue (in regards to the harness). Once I replaced the MAF extension harness - all my issues went away. This was a regular issue for me and I just thought it was a nuance at first. Then all of a sudden the car died and it seemed to get worse so I knew it was something faulty.
axelthrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to axelthrasher For This Useful Post:
phanguy (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 11:31 AM   #3698
phanguy

Drives: Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by axelthrasher View Post
Not sure what other symptoms you may be having, but check my post here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...23#post2445223

My issues were caused by a MAF extension harness that had wires pulling out from the connector. This was something that I believe was a manufacturing issue (in regards to the harness). Once I replaced the MAF extension harness - all my issues went away. This was a regular issue for me and I just thought it was a nuance at first. Then all of a sudden the car died and it seemed to get worse so I knew it was something faulty.
where did you get a replacement extension?
phanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:58 PM   #3699
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
You can order from @CounterSpace Garage or directly from @Jackson Racing.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:03 PM   #3700
phanguy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
You can order from @CounterSpace Garage or directly from @Jackson Racing.
damn it and after i just bought a new air filter from you guys... could have saved on shipping!

i couldn't find it on the site. where should i be looking?
Old 09-27-2016, 01:56 PM   #3701
CSG Mike

Quote:
damn it and after i just bought a new air filter from you guys... could have saved on shipping!

i couldn't find it on the site. where should i be looking?
PM directly!
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
phanguy (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 01:59 PM   #3702
phanguy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
PM directly!
sent! and big thanks to you guys for continuing to be rock stars to our community!
Old 09-27-2016, 03:45 PM   #3703
axelthrasher

Drives: BRZ, 2 WRXs, 818S, motorcycles, etc
Quote:
I recommend inspecting yours first - not saying you will 100% be able to see the wires pulling out from the harness plug, but you will see the red insulators appearing to be different lengths coming out of the plug. I HIGHLY suggest playing around with this to see if this is where your issue is coming from.
axelthrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to axelthrasher For This Useful Post:
phanguy (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 04:26 PM   #3704
phanguy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by axelthrasher View Post
I recommend inspecting yours first - not saying you will 100% be able to see the wires pulling out from the harness plug, but you will see the red insulators appearing to be different lengths coming out of the plug. I HIGHLY suggest playing around with this to see if this is where your issue is coming from.
i already ordered it, but this is good to note. this and the air filter are the only two things left i can possibly think of as being the issue anyway. and at least this way i am replacing both with the official part so i can hopefully get help from csg or jackson if it still doesn't work afterwards.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:07 PM   #3705
Ak1m0to
G20 Guru

Drives: Infiniti G20 / FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Ak1m0to
Quote:
Been battling my install since almost the beginning (August of last year). Continue to get the issue a lot of people have which is the CEL P0172. I've done everything I've found in this thread. Make sure the connection isn't too close to the alternator, clean the MAF, make sure the MAF is as vertical as possible. Checked all connections and everything is tight. I continue to get the CEL. Sometimes I'll get it within weeks, sometimes days. When everything is working it is such a joy to drive, but when it isn't working...

I just put in an order to CSG for a new air filter since mine is a little beat up(my kit is second hand) so I'm really hoping that will fix the issue. Otherwise I'm going to look into using the delicious tune with MAP sensor instead. Prefer to drive stock carb, but even more important is driving something reliable. I don't track and don't drive super hard all the time. I just want it working reliably. I'll report back one way or the other if the replacement filter works.
I had similar issues with mine and ended up getting Moto-East to send me a SD (Speed Density) tune. Up to this point, the car was running fine until the SC went out on me. It's currently with Rotrex/Jackson Racing getting looked at. I don't track my car either and don't drive it hard. It's my daily that I drive to and from work with the occasional cruise. I just want to be able to enjoy the car. I hope this helps you.

Slowmatic Drfiterz, from P to D in a heartbeat.
Ak1m0to is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ak1m0to For This Useful Post:
phanguy (10-03-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 03:41 PM   #3706
phanguy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak1m0to View Post
I had similar issues with mine and ended up getting Moto-East to send me a SD (Speed Density) tune. Up to this point, the car was running fine until the SC went out on me. It's currently with Rotrex/Jackson Racing getting looked at. I don't track my car either and don't drive it hard. It's my daily that I drive to and from work with the occasional cruise. I just want to be able to enjoy the car. I hope this helps you.
were you on carb tune?

i currently have the new filter in and after a few CELs(different from what i was getting before) from not having tightened a tube it's fine for the last day or so, but like i said my issue is pretty intermittent so i won't call this case closed for awhile. i have the new maf extension waiting for install too. i want to be 100% certain that the new filter either does or doesn't make a difference so i won't install the extension until i get another p0172.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:24 AM   #3707
RevoG

Drives: Hot Lava 86 MT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Got a quick question for everyone running the JR SC setup: Anyone ever had any problems with the pulleys supplied in the kit? I just replaced both pulleys as the bearings inside were shot. If you shake the pulley you can hear them running loose inside. I replaced them since they looked to wobble when the car is running.
JR Supercharger, JR RS Pulley, JR Oil cooler, JDL UEL header, Dual resonated 3" JDL Overpipe Front pipe, Perrin 3" resonated cat back exhaust, Upgraded Koyorad radiator, ECUTek tune, Enkei RS05RR 18x9.5, Bridgestone RE003 265/35/18, KW V3 Coilovers, Valenti sequential taillights, Kartboy short shifter kit
RevoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:51 PM   #3708
dp1
driving smoother faster

Drives: Sold
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
AEM air filter wrap that fits 6.5"x5" Jackson Racing C38 kit air filters (http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=69)
dp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dp1 For This Useful Post:
Bramick (10-24-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 01:59 AM   #3709
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevoG View Post
Got a quick question for everyone running the JR SC setup: Anyone ever had any problems with the pulleys supplied in the kit? I just replaced both pulleys as the bearings inside were shot. If you shake the pulley you can hear them running loose inside. I replaced them since they looked to wobble when the car is running.
Make sure your belt is properly aligned; a mis-aligned belt can put abnormal stress on the pulleys.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:50 PM   #3710
hamlet

Drives: blue brz, silver R8 5.2, orange s2K
Another update on my system too rich code:

The code kept coming back so we pulled off the exhaust manifold and it turns out the precat is mostly toast and the O2 sensor is completely fried.

I could have replaced the exhaust manifold but I thought it was only a matter of time before the problem recurred so I had to replace the exhaust manifold with a header (so I'm technically no longer carb legal) and replaced the o2 senser. Everything seems to be running better now and no code yet. It's all a little bit louder and rougher.

Will plan to part out the car in 6 months so anybody that wants in on the goodies hit me up.
hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hamlet For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (10-17-2016), SoCalArgento (10-18-2016)