follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 08-25-2019, 07:16 PM   #1
Ann13

Drives: SCION FR-S 2013 Release Edition 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need help with installing Camera Source's reverse camera for 2013 FRS

Just spent the afternoon trying to install the camera but since I'm a noob I couldn't get it to work.

I couldn't find tutorial that fits my case because I need to wire the trigger wire into the head unit and splice the reverse power wire, I think?

Do you guys know a video or post that show me how to do everything like splicing, connecting ground wires and what not?

I will try again next weekend and hope that I didn't fuck all the components after today attempt.
Ann13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:51 PM   #2
Rigel

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 10 series
This is the guide I used but there are a few other DIYs on this forum. https://www.autoharnesshouse.com/19867_add.html
I bought some of these terminals if you don't already have them. The site also sells terminals connected to a wire if you don't want to crimp them yourself.
https://www.hi-1000ec.com/phone/product/1215
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rigel For This Useful Post:
MJones_RB (12-12-2020)
Old 08-25-2019, 09:18 PM   #3
Ann13

Thanks for the reply. This somewhat makes it better for me to understand. It seems that I have to splice the pink reverse light wire and the reverse trigger wire together which is kinda scary. Is it possible I i can just shove the trigger wire into the pink wire pin to check if it works?
Old 08-25-2019, 11:10 PM   #4
Rigel

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 10 series
The preferred way would be to check the pink wire with a multimeter or light (Step 5 in the guide). I dont' know if the bare wire will be stiff enough to push into the back of the connector and make contact but you can give it a try. If you follow the guide exactly you should be able to find the right wire. Just take your time and it should be a piece of cake.
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:32 PM   #5
mrhayes1

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS white
Garage
I would love to help you out on this because I feel your pain. I went through this and despite tons of write ups and comments on this, most ppl don't what tf they are talking about.

I did this a while back and let me see if I can recall everything. First of all, the installation varies based on whether you have the stock head unit or not. If you do have a stock HU, you will need a wire harness for the stock HU. I think autohouse sells those. I think they are pretty pricey; like $60 or somin. I have a nice Kenwood aftermarket HU that already has a reverse wire there so I needed no harnesses; only a $35 camera from crutchfield.

Anyway, you will have red and yellow RCAs going from the camera to your HU of course. The camera power wire gets tied into a power source in the trunk. I believe I used the running light power wire in the trunk. Now for the trigger wire.....Despite what anyone tells you, you do need a trigger wire. The trigger wire goes from you head unit to the reverse wire on the car harness I believe. I think it is a pink wire if I recall on the lower left kick panel near the driver's seat.

Note: some backup cameras come with a built in reverse wire. This WILL NOT work. If you have a 2013 FRS like I do without a factory backup camera you must run a separate trigger wire from the HU to the pink factory wire or the camera will never work.
mrhayes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:30 PM   #6
Ann13

Hayes,
I tried a second time but still couldn't make it work. It seems the trigger wire that comes with the kit doesn't fit into the terminal of my HU. I think autohouse sell trigger wires which cost 30$.

I'm kinda fed up at the moment so I don't want to spend money on the trigger wire and I'm trying to get use to the car so I backup without the camera.

Will try again in the future.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:01 AM   #7
RickyBobby

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
It would help if you posted what camera you purchased. If it's a genuine Rydeen Duo it will run on 6.0V and you can use SVXdc's wire harness + the FR-S reverse trigger wire (ae64.com). If it requires more then 6.0V you will need the AutoHarnessHouse's wire harness + the trigger wire.

Links:
http://ae64.com/Rear-camera-16-pin.htm
https://www.autoharnesshouse.com/19867_add.html

My installation:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=20
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:47 PM   #8
Ann13

I bought the oem camera from camera-source.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:27 AM   #9
RickyBobby

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
This should be an easy installation since camera-source's camera operates on 6.0V and they supplied you with the 16 pin front harness and the trigger wire. https://camera-source.com/automotive...amera-kit.html

Reverse Trigger Wire
Using the supplied Scotchlok connector splice into the left top pink wire (I used a Posi-Tap connector). Reference my installation and AutoHarnessHouse links in my previous post.

Name:  reverse wire2.JPG
Views: 2798
Size:  149.9 KB

On the 28 pin HU connector with a small screwdriver open the retention latch slightly on the side of the connector where the reverse trigger wire will be inserted, pin #2 on the top side. Make sure that the contact terminal on the end of the reverse trigger wire is orientated correctly before inserting it. The contact terminal has a tiny fin that should face up towards the retention latch side of the connector.

Name:  reverse wire3.JPG
Views: 1703
Size:  107.9 KB

Pic from AutoHarnessHouse website.
Name:  7549tut10.jpg
Views: 1692
Size:  112.4 KB

Last edited by RickyBobby; 09-28-2019 at 11:59 AM.
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:39 PM   #10
mrhayes1

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS white
Garage
Hmm. No idea why the reverse trigger wire you have wouldn't fit. It is my understanding that if you have a factory HU, you will need to purchase a wire harness so that you can plug in the camera video (yellow cable) to the back of the HU. The harness you buy/bought for the factory HU should include the reverse trigger wire or at least the site should sell it as an option since anyone with a 2013-2015 FRS will need it.
mrhayes1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013 fr-s, camera, reverse