follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 10-16-2020, 10:18 AM   #57
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,976 Times in 2,195 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
That looks like some actual work went into the build.
Too bad about the broken axles, but it *is* shiny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post
why are you guys arguing instead of flaming this thread with pictures like this. obviously you only need one aero mod.. this one..

duh..

The Following User Says Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
Sapphireho (10-16-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 10:37 AM   #58
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
There were advertisements with slogan "looks fast" with featured parked celica.
In this pic i cannot decide .. if car "looks slow" or rather "looks broken" :/
Broken axles from king-kong stomping on car is one thing, but theme of build probably is "harmony". Harmony in gaining drag leaving out no means, not just air drag from parachuting wide-body inlets, but also from actual underbody drag against tarmac and tires rubbing against arches.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 11:27 AM   #59
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Top 3 Aero Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekevinvo View Post
Sorry, you misunderstood. I'm not throwing the ball in the dirt. I was just saying that I won't post the videos in the forums as to not bother anyone.

As for your second point, I certainly wasn't trying to come off that way. If I wasn't genuinely interested in the platform, I wouldn't take the time to make my own personal videos when I already spend time at work making videos on the platform. The reason why I did the aero mods video was because those are the parts I have access to at this time. The intention was not at all to tell people that these are the first mods they should do to the car nor are those aero parts going on my car anytime soon.

My plan is exactly what you laid out. I've already taken the car out as it sits to the closest track to get a baselin and I am trying to document the whole progression of the build and take it out to the track to see what improvements have been made if any. Apparently, I haven't done a good enough job showcasing it in that way, but that was the goal.

That is precisely what I mean though. Your vids could be an asset so why not post them? Just remember who your audience is though. Everyone is a bit jaded by the FRS bro, TJ Hunt kinda eff'd everyone over on that from the get go. Just because you catch some flack doesn't mean quit here, adapt.

But I swear, if you slap a wing on your car with this AOA and say it shaved 5 seconds a lap with no other changes I will talk shit.

Ultramaroon (10-17-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 11:52 AM   #60
thekevinvo

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
That is precisely what I mean though. Your vids could be an asset so why not post them? Just remember who your audience is though. Everyone is a bit jaded by the FRS bro, TJ Hunt kinda eff'd everyone over on that from the get go. Just because you catch some flack doesn't mean quit here, adapt.

But I swear, if you slap a wing on your car with this AOA and say it shaved 5 seconds a lap with no other changes I will talk shit.

I guess I can be a bit more conscientious on how I post the videos. I'd hope that viewers can see that I'm actually trying to build this into a performance-oriented track car and take it out to track events and not trying to shove cosmetic/flashy parts in their face.

I can guarantee you my car will never see that AOA
thekevinvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thekevinvo For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (10-16-2020), Ultramaroon (10-17-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 01:06 PM   #61
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I don’t see what the big deal is. As long as the transparency of who he is and what he is associated with is there, it’s perfectly fine. You can learn a lot from the various vendors on forums and it’s your responsibility to double check, research, or get a 2nd opinion if you think they are just pushing their products.

I mean it’s there job, so they have an interest. Not much different from all these instagram and youtubers pushing their content. You know it, so it’s easy to just not click.

If I had a company I would try to get my products viewed by as many people as possible. As long as there is no trickery, I have no issues at all.

You are being sold something virtually everywhere in your life. As a scientist, I live my life as a skeptic and always think about it through that lens. Do my own research and buy if I think it’s worth it or sometimes just because I want to.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:55 PM   #62
sharpsicle
Certs You Dont Care About

Drives: 2013 Galaxy Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
I don’t see what the big deal is. As long as the transparency of who he is and what he is associated with is there, it’s perfectly fine. You can learn a lot from the various vendors on forums and it’s your responsibility to double check, research, or get a 2nd opinion if you think they are just pushing their products.

I mean it’s there job, so they have an interest. Not much different from all these instagram and youtubers pushing their content. You know it, so it’s easy to just not click.

If I had a company I would try to get my products viewed by as many people as possible. As long as there is no trickery, I have no issues at all.

You are being sold something virtually everywhere in your life. As a scientist, I live my life as a skeptic and always think about it through that lens. Do my own research and buy if I think it’s worth it or sometimes just because I want to.
I agree with this, but that is what the Vendor section of the forum is for. If he was in that section, I doubt anyone would even mention it. But he's not, and that's one of the issues being raised here.
sharpsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 03:54 PM   #63
thekevinvo

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpsicle View Post
I agree with this, but that is what the Vendor section of the forum is for. If he was in that section, I doubt anyone would even mention it. But he's not, and that's one of the issues being raised here.
I believe this is a simple misunderstanding. I'm not creating videos in association with any vendor. Yes I work for FTspeed so the links on my videos are from that website which is where I obtained my parts. I'm not out here on behalf of FTspeed trying to push products. This is my personal car and I'm taking my free time to share these videos so I'm not sure why I'm getting lumped into the vendor category. Again, I'm not trying to sling products.
thekevinvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:02 PM   #64
Cephas

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 (860 SE)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Semi-professional content creator here. Some of y'all need to chill out on the kid, I think. What he's doing is pretty decent quality, not overly sales-y, and has actual information in it. Just because you already know everything there is to know about the 86 and automotive science in general, doesn't mean everybody else does.

Most important, he's making content that's accessible and digestible for beginners. Last I checked, our little hobby is contracting, not growing. To discourage somebody who's making stuff that might help stem the tide seems counterproductive to all of our best interests.

It might seem a little spammy because he doesn't feel like he's part of your in-group here on this forum already, which I get. In a former life, I got my start in motorcycle journalism because I was helping to run a motorcycle message board, so when I posted articles that I wrote, they were automatically accepted. The only mistake this guy made was to get excited enough to make the videos first, and look for a place to post them later. Hardly a mortal sin.

If he's passionate about creating content, gathering a following, and getting better at his craft, with the end goal maybe to turn it into a living some day, exactly how do you propose he do it otherwise? You have to put your stuff in the places where it will get eyeballs. Just posting on YouTube and linking on your socials ain't gonna do it. If I'm making content about my car, I'd certainly go to a forum about that car.

Instead of tearing him down, maybe offer some ideas of how he could improve. And "do an exhaustive comparison of every aero product on the market with before and after breakdowns of each part's performance" doesn't cut it, because he's one (young) guy, not a magazine with a million-dollar budget.
Cephas is offline   Reply With Quote