follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 02-12-2019, 11:53 PM   #1
geraldjust

Drives: MR2, Sliver BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
CANBUS 2inch gauge

Hey guys! Ive been working on a recent project and i might want you guys input on were i should go with this.

So ive been this is all in one PCB with a micro controller and can bus integration.
Im using it so sniff the factory data though the canbus and displaying it vs other generic gauges who just use OBD protocol to poll for data that can cause some issues though the network if polled too quickly. Anyways! So i get some generic data though the network like RPM, Speed, Oil temp, water temp, gear, accel pedal, break pedal, individual wheel speed, G-meter, Steering wheel angle, ambient temp, MAP sensor, battery temp, battery current sensor, fuel level...

Along that i can also sniff other non "live data" like doors open /closed, locked or unlocked. same with trunk. clutch, reverse, headlights on/off. dimmer switch position, parking break, low beams high beams, seatbelts for both RH and LH..

For push start cars errors like if you leave your key in the car and close the door when car is off and you trying to lock from outside. If key is not detected in vehicle message. If your key has low battery then to press the clutch and touch key to start button message...

And besides those.. i Have some special function i added. Like Speed Auto lock. when your driving if you go above a certain speed your doors auto lock and if below the speed it auto unlocks when pulling up the handbrake.

I also have A nanny long press a button to turn off/on. so no need for peddle dance. Just make sure your car is semi warm and RPM below 1k.

Il add also something for forcing fans on to 100% for those people in the track? if people want it.

For now thats it for the hardware but i might make a add-on or Bluetooth in the future.

So i was wondering how you guys think i should structure it for the menu system etc....

So basically if i have it wired were power is applied to ig+ then i could make it like a simple gauge showing data and some active stuff like auto lock and nanny control.

But my second idea was to have it always on. When the car goes to sleep data wize have the gauge also sleep. but when someone opens the door. or unlocks it to wake up and have a "press clutch and start button to run" or simple things like that. Or show if you left your trunk open or doors when the car is off.

SO if you got any suggestions on how i should make the menu system or what extra features i should add.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbimdasDgKE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbimdasDgKE[/ame]
BRZyJ (06-19-2019), ls1ac (06-19-2019), Racecomp Engineering (02-13-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 03:38 PM   #2
Butterman

Drives: 84 944 and 2015 brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
This is awesome! I have been looking for something like this but can't justify $400 for the p3 gauge. Incorporating a nanny button would add tons of value. Considering the beastronix 86nanny is $150+
Butterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:41 PM   #3
radroach

Drives: car
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Are you using something like a teensy board with an ESP32? Tech details please!
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:19 PM   #4
geraldjust

Nope! Custom PCB with atmega64m1 chip. Its super thin gauge without the plastic. But i just add it to give people some were to add a clamp or adapt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
Are you using something like a teensy board with an ESP32? Tech details please!
Old 06-19-2019, 10:06 PM   #5
radroach

Drives: car
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
decent, I didn't know you could read the canbus with an 8bit computer

Make one with a bigger screen so we can have cool graphics.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:11 PM   #6
geraldjust

Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
decent, I didn't know you could read the canbus with an 8bit computer

Make one with a bigger screen so we can have cool graphics.
Well i was trying to make this one affordable. Cheap and easy to assemble and program etc. But since i did not see much interest i did not continue to finish programing it. Well, it has native canbus controller so thats why and the IC is very cheap in large quantities. Maybe i might build one. But the interest has to be there for me to spend more time on it.

The one thing that i am working on to make sure i finish is a bluetooth enabled canbus controller/uC chip. That has a app on the phone. You can do the Nanny stuff, the speed lock and some other nifty features like door lock/unlock with the app (incase you lock yourself out). Then im also replicating all the features that you can customize in techstream for our cars. Along with checking codes for individual car modules etc.. to help diagnose. And some other nifty things
spike021 (06-28-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 08:19 PM   #7
Rigel

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 10 series
This is pretty sweet, I've thought about doing something similar.
Have you looked at transparent oled screens, you could make it a simple HUD as an add on or something.
Tire pressures and fuel range would be cool to know.
I think this is a great idea and has a ton of potential
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:05 PM   #8
geraldjust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigel View Post
This is pretty sweet, I've thought about doing something similar.
Have you looked at transparent oled screens, you could make it a simple HUD as an add on or something.
Tire pressures and fuel range would be cool to know.
I think this is a great idea and has a ton of potential
Ive seen them. But the ones that are dedicated for automotive use prices are around 80USD. Some day if i find a decent priced. Or someone wants those i think i might do that too.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:36 AM   #9
Rigel

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 10 series
If you have space you could add a louder piezo shift buzzer. You can't really hear the stock one with the windows open and a helmet on.
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote