follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 10-05-2015, 09:09 PM   #1
werunbklynn

Drives: White FR$
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Vortech supercharged belt completely snapped

Previously my belts would just chip off by the teeth of the pulleys, but last night my belt completely snapped in half on the highway and everything went down. My previous belt was a dayco belt it lasted me 25k miles and 8 months, I just changed it to a blue gates racing belt 2 weeks ago and within a short time it completely snapped, I was wondering if anyone could give me feedback on this issue and this would be my 5th belt I went through please give me some feed back.my friend who has experience in modified cars installed it for me and now I'm planning on taking it to a local shop vortech recommend to me which is associated with Visconti. Please help me out I really want to just take off the supercharger and just go stock or trade in my car...

werunbklynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:23 AM   #2
Tye300

Drives: Toyota 86 TRD Version AT
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
What pulley are you using? How were you driving it when it snapped? I have not snapped a belt yet, but I have sheared 3 belts during some track runs.
Tye300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:17 AM   #3
GsxrMe

Drives: Late 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Do you have headers that are maybe heating up your belt and allowing it to snap? Show us your headers, I've only seen kraft eat belts not vortech.
FBM Turbokit: GTX3076R - ECUTEK HRI FlexFuel tune - FBM 3" Turboback Exhaust - 550cc Injectors - Walbro 485 Fuel Pump - 4bar Map Sensor - FBM Oil Pan - ACT SB7-XTSS - AMSOIL all fluids - Forester XT Oil Cooler - Cusco engine, trans mounts - Whiteline rear differential bushings - Perrin shifter bushing - Firehawk 235/45/17 - AEM Failsafe
GsxrMe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GsxrMe For This Useful Post:
Weapon86 (07-11-2017)
Old 10-06-2015, 08:43 AM   #4
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GsxrMe View Post
Do you have headers that are maybe heating up your belt and allowing it to snap? Show us your headers, I've only seen kraft eat belts not vortech.
Vortech ate belts since before it was cool. Mine were due to wrong size belt being used, have not broke any since going to the correct belt.

OP what size pulley and belt are you using
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:26 AM   #5
werunbklynn

Drives: White FR$
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I have oem headers, I was using a gates racing blue belt kb60975rb I previously was using a dayco belt that lasted me 8months and 14k miles. I don't have a catch can but just a pvc setup that came with the vortech kit, I took it to a shop recommended by vortech and they told me it could be the oil that was leaking and it made the belt slip off and snapped. I'm going to add 2 oil catch cans this weekend and a bov, hopefully this will solve the issue. Yeah I think it's due to heat because I just got my car back and the guy at the shop told me about the oil issue and my car gets hot under the hood which could cause my belt to become weak, he also mentioned I should get a vented hood, he also told me everything seemed aligned but he just put a washer to make the pipe clearance a bit high since the belt was rubbing the pipe a bit. He told me the tensioner seemed fine... Idk hopefully this will solve the issue. I'm using the pulley that came with the vortech kit 3.48 I believe... I was just cruising around 40-50 when it snapped wasn't even in boost and I had just changed the gates racing blue belt like 2 weeks prior to this
werunbklynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:04 AM   #6
blueninja03

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ WRB Supercharged
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hi werunbklynn,

This is not a heat issue. Do not waste any $ on addressing the heat (it's an engine compartment for God's sake--belts, especially racing belts, are designed for high temperature applications). This is almost certainly a belt sizing issue and/or pulley issue.
I've been in your shoes and shredded or broken 3 belts now on my Vortech powered BRZ. I started with the 3.48" pulley then went down to the 2.87" pulley which I'm running now (and think I was running the 3.125" for a while too but I don't recall now). My single biggest issue was the stock TENSIONER PULLEY. My belts rode up over the raised edge of the tensioner pulley which cut an entire ribbon (the 6th rib) off of every belt I put on there. I didn't know what the problem was cuz I couldn't see the surface of the tensioner pulley as the belt rides over the top of it. I WOULD GET THIS PULLEY OFF YOUR CAR ASAP. Replace it with a Gates DriveAlign B/S Pulley #38018. It's $16 at O'Reilly's AutoParts. (A little cheaper than a vented hood, eh?) I would strongly recommend replacing any pulley that has a raised edge on it like this one: https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/ima...4MK68_AS01.JPG
with a same-size replacement with NO raised edge.
Second thing, you might be running too big of belt. See fitment chart below.
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...SBeltGuide.jpg
The suggested belts are quite tight and can be a pain in the butt to get on if you don't have the tensioner pulley all the way released but they are correct.

Let me know if you need help with the install of any pulleys or taking off your supercharger. I've had to do this several times now and will walk you though it. It's pretty simple. The biggest pain is removing the air intake box! lol
blueninja03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:58 AM   #7
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by werunbklynn View Post
I have oem headers, I was using a gates racing blue belt kb60975rb I previously was using a dayco belt that lasted me 8months and 14k miles.
60975 is the old belt number, revised number is 60970
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote