follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote! 367 74.59%
I don't know, but its time for a new name. 125 25.41%
Voters: 492. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 10:08 AM   #3865
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Which existence at all still remains speculation.
Tada himself has officially stated that a 4 cylinder will be an option.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:10 AM   #3866
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Tada himself has officially stated that a 4 cylinder will be an option.
Please link the "official" statement.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:31 AM   #3867
funwheeldrive

Quote:
Please link the "official" statement.
Road & Track web editor Chris Perkins had the chance to speak with Supra chief engineer Testsuya Tada at the Goodwood Festival of Speed a few days ago, and the Toyota employee confirmed that there will indeed be a four-cylinder Supra. Tada also elaborated, saying the four-cylinder Supra will be lighter, with "much better weight distribution" and a sharper-feeling turn-in. Tada also remarked that, for the Supra owners who plan to swap in a 2JZ engine, "please buy the four-cylinder. It will be cheaper."

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ylinder-supra/

Obviously it's not an official statement from Toyota, but a direct quote/statement from Tada is more than enough for me.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:24 AM   #3868
Tcoat

Quote:
Road & Track web editor Chris Perkins had the chance to speak with Supra chief engineer Testsuya Tada at the Goodwood Festival of Speed a few days ago, and the Toyota employee confirmed that there will indeed be a four-cylinder Supra. Tada also elaborated, saying the four-cylinder Supra will be lighter, with "much better weight distribution" and a sharper-feeling turn-in. Tada also remarked that, for the Supra owners who plan to swap in a 2JZ engine, "please buy the four-cylinder. It will be cheaper."

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ylinder-supra/

Obviously it's not an official statement from Toyota, but a direct quote/statement from Tada is more than enough for me.
No it is the direct statement from the editor of R&T. There is not one single other word about it in any other place (other than a billion people quoting R&T).
I am not saying there may not be such a thing but simply that an editor saying he was told this is far from it being official and as such it remains speculation. Editors have said they were told many things that don't end up happening or being accurate. There is virtually no official specs or info on the Supra just a bunch of "insider" statements and speculation based upon this info. It may be educated speculation and could very well turn out to be accurate (or at least close) but none of it is officially confirmed as fact yet. I would totally be with you if we heard exactly what Tada said but we did not.

Here are some more "interviews" from the same event. Did Tada forget there was a 4 in the works for these ones?
https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-ne...-ar181795.html
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/fea...estival-speed/

Oh look. Two days later he still has nothing to say about a 4
https://blog.toyota.co.uk/new-toyota...r-tetsuya-tada

"As this is the fifth-generation Supra, can you give us five things that you would like Supra fans to know about the car?"

Tada: “First of all, the Supra has always had an inline six-cylinder engine, and of course we have that with the new car, too. Secondly, all generations had a front-mounted engine and rear-wheel drive; that is also the same here."

Last edited by Tcoat; 11-30-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:38 AM   #3869
funwheeldrive

Quote:
No it is the direct statement from the editor of R&T. There is not one single other word about it in any other place (other than a billion people quoting R&T).
I am not saying there may not be such a thing but simply that an editor saying he was told this is far from it being official and as such it remains speculation. Editors have said they were told many things that don't end up happening or being accurate. There is virtually no official specs or info on the Supra just a bunch of "insider" statements and speculation based upon this info. It may be educated speculation and could very well turn out to be accurate (or at least close) but none of it is officially confirmed as fact yet. I would totally be with you if we heard exactly what Tada said but we did not.

Here are some more "interviews" from the same event. Did Tada forget there was a 4 in the works for these ones?
https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-ne...-ar181795.html
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/fea...estival-speed/
It's more than an editor making a statement, they directly quoted Tada also. I doubt they would a magazine like Road and Track would falsify a quote like that. We will find out sooner than later.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:40 AM   #3870
Tcoat

Quote:
It's more than an editor making a statement, they directly quoted Tada also. I doubt they would a magazine like Road and Track would falsify a quote like that. We will find out sooner than later.
Well he is the ONLY person it has ever been said to. Falsified or not that is a great achievement.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:00 PM   #3871
funwheeldrive

Quote:
Well he is the ONLY person it has ever been said to. Falsified or not that is a great achievement.
Sure, not arguing against that. At this point all the evidence points to a 4 cylinder option. The quote, 'leaked' documents showing a 4 cylinder Supra option, and the Z4 already having a 4 cylinder engine all lead me to believe that a 4 cylinder Supra will be produced. I haven't seen any other evidence suggesting otherwise.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:06 PM   #3872
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
As far as I remember (which isn't much), availability of the 4cyl Supra is more likely for overseas than it is for North America. It isn't out of the realm of possibility to have it in NA but I don't think NA gets it right away, just like the manual transmission option (which I think was confirmed for Europe or something but "thinking about it" for NA)

At this stage of the game im pretty inclined to believe the North American spec Supra is 6cyl + auto only at launch.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:18 PM   #3873
Tcoat

Quote:
Sure, not arguing against that. At this point all the evidence points to a 4 cylinder option. The quote, 'leaked' documents showing a 4 cylinder Supra option, and the Z4 already having a 4 cylinder engine all lead me to believe that a 4 cylinder Supra will be produced. I haven't seen any other evidence suggesting otherwise.
The "leaked" document is meaningless. A part number is assigned before something even hits the drawing board. Just be because there is a part number and a listed application does not mean it is or ever will be built.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
As far as I remember (which isn't much), availability of the 4cyl Supra is more likely for overseas than it is for North America. It isn't out of the realm of possibility to have it in NA but I don't think NA gets it right away, just like the manual transmission option (which I think was confirmed for Europe or something but "thinking about it" for NA)

At this stage of the game im pretty inclined to believe the North American spec Supra is 6cyl + auto only at launch.
The whole availability of a 4 cylinder has all been speculation based on that one alleged quote. There is nothing saying it would be anyplace just yet.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:57 PM   #3874
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
here is the parts diagram for the Supra 30i. granted this doesn't actually mean that they will put it into production.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...ra%2030i&mg=11

The Following User Says Thank You to gymratter For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 01:03 PM   #3875
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I'm not loving the idea of a 4 banger Zupra. But it sounds it could be happening for markets like the EU and Japan.

http://club4ag.com/chief-engineer-te...ment-with-bmw/

Quote:
During the Parade Run, we wanted to reveal as much as we could without going into much finer details. We wanted to let the audience hear the engine and exhaust note. Due to the speed and distance/duration constraints it wasn't like a full attack of the section, but I've kept the RPM high, and kept it in gear for deceleration too, so everyone could also hear the off-throttle noises too. The engine unit inside this Pre-Production was our inline 6 powerplant. A 3.0 Liter Turbocharged unit, if you are curious about numbers. It will be the flagship engine for this car.

We may also offer inline 4 variant for select markets where costs of a larger engine can be prohibitive in ownership or registration costs. That has yet to be determined, but we left some room for tuners and aftermarket on these engines, and it should be an interesting engine in that respect too. One thing to add though, is that the unibody structure of the car is extremely light, and as such, some people might even prefer the 4 cylinders to seek a more intrinsic, and classical full throttle duration driving feel, and value agility above all. We hope this will be an exciting choice as well, not just economical.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:56 PM   #3876
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_supra26 View Post
I'm not loving the idea of a 4 banger Zupra. But it sounds it could be happening for markets like the EU and Japan.

http://club4ag.com/chief-engineer-te...ment-with-bmw/

I rest my case. There still is no confirmation that there WILL be a 4 in any market. My objection has never been that there may not be an engine my whole point is that everybody like to talk as if it is a confirmed thing.

We may also offer inline 4 variant for select markets where costs of a larger engine can be prohibitive in ownership or registration costs. That has yet to be determined, but we left some room for tuners and aftermarket on these engines, and it should be an interesting engine in that respect too.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:11 PM   #3877
funwheeldrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_supra26 View Post
I never said there was. I said "it COULD be happening".
I think he was referring to my comment. My point still stands though.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:18 PM   #3878
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
another thing that i found interesting is that some of the guys over at SupraMKV ran some of the VINs. both 6 and 4 cylinder versions popped up. so there are prototypes driving around with the B48/B46.

Quote:
I rest my case. There still is no confirmation that there WILL be a 4 in any market. My objection has never been that there may not be an engine my whole point is that everybody like to talk as if it is a confirmed thing.

We may also offer inline 4 variant for select markets where costs of a larger engine can be prohibitive in ownership or registration costs. That has yet to be determined, but we left some room for tuners and aftermarket on these engines, and it should be an interesting engine in that respect too.
the bottom half of the Moto-san article sounds like its happening.

Quote:
One thing to add though, is that the unibody structure of the car is extremely light, and as such, some people might even prefer the 4 cylinders to seek a more intrinsic, and classical full throttle duration driving feel, and value agility above all. We hope this will be an exciting choice as well, not just economical.
The Following User Says Thank You to gymratter For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (12-01-2018)

Closed Thread

Tags
bmwforsuckers, boring-zzzzzzzzzzzzz, brz, celica supra confirmed, frs, ft-1, hatch-y +1, morethanucanaffordpal, nomanualnogo, supra, toyota, twins, watstheretailon1ofthose