follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #99
Synack
Boosted

Drives: Sideways
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapOv3st3r View Post
No, god no. Lethal is a place to stay away from, if it's not already shut down. Unless Lethal Performance is also Lethal Injection? If that's whom you are referring to, yea....would not go there. Owner was arrested for running drugs out the shop. But no, I looked it up, it's Z1 Motorsports. They are in GA also and do a lot with the Z platform. I know seeing them in mags, I believe they would have a track day as well. I doubt my rig will be ready by then though, but one year I will catch that event.
Yeah Z1 is good and I was referring to Lethal Injection yes. The only problem with Z1 is that they are like Apple when it comes to prices.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #100
SnapOv3st3r

Drives: 400whp Scion tC
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synack View Post
Yeah Z1 is good and I was referring to Lethal Injection yes. The only problem with Z1 is that they are like Apple when it comes to prices.
lol...at the Apple prices.

Yea, wouldn't go near LI with a 100ft pole. Not with my car nor recommend them after seeing how a couple of people I know pulled their cars out of there.
SnapOv3st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:36 PM   #101
Synack
Boosted

Drives: Sideways
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
lol...at the Apple prices.

Yea, wouldn't go near LI with a 100ft pole. Not with my car nor recommend them after seeing how a couple of people I know pulled their cars out of there.
All I know is I'm glad I live in Texas. There are unlimited amounts of reputable shops, tuners, parts dealers, etc out here.
Pete (01-10-2013)
Old 01-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #102
xbladex0

Drives: no cars :(
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
This isn't a factory turboed car though. It's an N/A car with an aftermarket turbo setup on it. Not the same thing. And the pipe connecting to the Throttle body is commonly referred to as the Charge pipe. So yes you need the charge pipe. Intakes connect to the throttle body for N/A cars of course. Injen does not make intakes for turbo setups on cars that didn't come turbo.
Nissan juke's do come factory turbo'd look it up you're on the internet anyways. Thank you for educating me on charge pipes by the way, I'm still learning about cars and still am haha's.
xbladex0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:28 PM   #103
SnapOv3st3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synack View Post
All I know is I'm glad I live in Texas. There are unlimited amounts of reputable shops, tuners, parts dealers, etc out here.

Yea not a bad spot to be in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbladex0 View Post
Nissan juke's do come factory turbo'd look it up you're on the internet anyways. Thank you for educating me on charge pipes by the way, I'm still learning about cars and still am haha's.

I was talking about the Twins, not the Juke.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:17 PM   #104
xbladex0

Quote:
Yea not a bad spot to be in.

I was talking about the Twins, not the Juke.
I thought we were talking about Juke as i had mentioned it. Anyway, I also mentioned that i would like to see an FR-S with the same mods, but with the interior still intact, added with a CAI as it would work and help keep engine temperatures low.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:05 AM   #105
cf6mech

Drives: FRS Silver LS1 swapped.
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Track guys don't have to be into Shifter Karts or B-Spec racing, or Miata's to be track guys. I'm not into spending $15k on a Kart to go against other carts. I would rather go against all different types of makes and model vehicles other guys could be driving.

This forum does not make up every FR-S owner in the world. Again, even a street setup can approach $20k and that's just people who daily driving their cars. Just because you put $20k into a car, does not mean you are building a track machine. It's not a lot of money, that's just it. Not everyone wants to be in a Lotus, Kart, Vette..etc. That's why we have options. Just because it's an FR-S, Honda Civic, Scion tC, Chevy Cobal, Neon SRT4...etc, doesn't mean there isn't someone out there dropping enough coin to run Time Attack. To compete in anything but enthusiast class in Time Attack, you are going to NEED at least $20k already to be at the top of the leader board. Aside from that, lot of the Wheel-to-Wheel racing series have very strict rules/guidelines. If you don't want to comply with those rules, then you build to the likes of another motorsport....i.e. Time Attack, which is a little less stringent, but still has rules.

You never did answer my question. Have you raced in a series or Time Attacked before? Check out the rules for the "Street" class for GTA. This FR-S by VCMC is nothing more than a "Street" Class car in GTA. It hasn't even hit Limited or Unlimited class capability and it already has $20k in it. LOL...it's not a lot of money man that's the bottom line.

So, if you aren't running Karts, Vette, Spec Miata series of racing....you are not a track guy? LOL...ok.
I'm in total agreement with you, 20k is nothing to put into a car, track or not,....once upgrades start,...you have to have supporting upgrades,...more power turbo etc= bigger clutch....more power= wider tires and rims.....more power= more speed and a compliant suspension upgrade....it goes on and on if you want a balanced car....its pretty simple and I don't see the arguement.....but the basic simple fact is once you mess with OEM it has to be offset....and in this particular case and all that they did to balance the car out they still need to spend more to offset the added heat a turbo car makes that proves the whole point.
cf6mech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cf6mech For This Useful Post:
SnapOv3st3r (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #106
SnapOv3st3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbladex0 View Post
I thought we were talking about Juke as i had mentioned it. Anyway, I also mentioned that i would like to see an FR-S with the same mods, but with the interior still intact, added with a CAI as it would work and help keep engine temperatures low.

Yea, I was talking about the Twins. Injen doesn't make a CAI for a turbo setup that was made via Aftermarket. Too many kits, to many different designs. For there to be a CAI setup on a turbo system from the aftermarket, the manufacture of the system itself, would have had to design that into the kit. And since Injen is not in the business of making turbo systems, you are not getting an Injen intake on an Twin with a turbo setup.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:30 AM   #107
xbladex0

Quote:
Yea, I was talking about the Twins. Injen doesn't make a CAI for a turbo setup that was made via Aftermarket. Too many kits, to many different designs. For there to be a CAI setup on a turbo system from the aftermarket, the manufacture of the system itself, would have had to design that into the kit. And since Injen is not in the business of making turbo systems, you are not getting an Injen intake on an Twin with a turbo setup.
I only mentioned the INJEN CAI for the Nissan Juke cause my friend has one in his. I do want a CAI for the FR-S though, hopefully one will be made eventually!
Old 01-15-2013, 12:51 AM   #108
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf6mech View Post
I'm in total agreement with you, 20k is nothing to put into a car...............
Lies I tell you... LIES!

All this talk of 20k "ain't much" is scaring people away from going racing. It ain't that expensive at all. Sure, 20k ain't much when compared to GT3 cup car or some of those crazy high HP classes in racing and TT but most racing isn't that. I can go buy a front running, turn key-ready-to-race Spec Miata for under $10k and probably get a trailer and spares as well. Heck my double championship ITA CRX would probably fetch less than $8K if I put it up for sale right now. Say I've got an itchin' for more speed I can bump up to running ITS or ITR and still find a used but race-ready turnkey car for under $15k. A friend of mine bought a top notch race-ready STI for 28k.

When building from scratch everything costs exponentially more but when buying "speed" used... super duper cheap!

And sorry for the threadjack.. honestly as I type this I'm not even sure what thread I'm posting in. I just wanted to evangelize the fact that you can go play at the track without dropping $20k
Old 01-15-2013, 03:44 AM   #109
cf6mech

Drives: FRS Silver LS1 swapped.
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
Lies I tell you... LIES!

All this talk of 20k "ain't much" is scaring people away from going racing. It ain't that expensive at all. Sure, 20k ain't much when compared to GT3 cup car or some of those crazy high HP classes in racing and TT but most racing isn't that. I can go buy a front running, turn key-ready-to-race Spec Miata for under $10k and probably get a trailer and spares as well. Heck my double championship ITA CRX would probably fetch less than $8K if I put it up for sale right now. Say I've got an itchin' for more speed I can bump up to running ITS or ITR and still find a used but race-ready turnkey car for under $15k. A friend of mine bought a top notch race-ready STI for 28k.

When building from scratch everything costs exponentially more but when buying "speed" used... super duper cheap!

And sorry for the threadjack.. honestly as I type this I'm not even sure what thread I'm posting in. I just wanted to evangelize the fact that you can go play at the track without dropping $20k
I totally agree with you, you can track a car for cheap, but at what level?....face it speed costs money all things being equal, there is no way around it.....put Randy Pobst in a stock FRS and give me that GT3 cup car and I'll kick his ass,....why?....not that I'm a better driver of course but my car cost more, is a hell of alot faster and its better prepped for the track.....very simple put again.... speed costs.....but that doesn't mean you can't have fun at any level.
cf6mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #110
SnapOv3st3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
Lies I tell you... LIES!

FYI....no one said you need $20k to TRACK your car. You can go to the track with a stock car all you want to. When you turn it into a competition is when you need at least $20k. Don't confuse people who just looking to have a good time, with people who want to do more than just have a good time. And no one is talking about SPEC cars that you purchased that's setup for the class you want to run in. Talking about taking a car like an FR-S, Civic SI, SRT4, Scion tC....etc. and modding it with the go fast bits to make it a formidable track car to take on other track cars in a competition. Sure you can show up with a set of tires and suspension, but you aren't winning anything with that. Aero, Suspension, F/I, Tires, chassis bracing, motor internals.....that's $20k + right there when all said and done. Talking about building 350-600whp track car that happens to retain it's street legal status, not stock vehicles.

Still in either case, $20k is NOT a lot of money to put into a car. I started off tracking with a set of street tires and H-tech springs. Now, because I wanted to go faster, I got $10k into my engine bay alone and getting tuned for 400whp to start the summer off with. My track tires cost $1k because I need that sticky to put that power down. Once you want to go fast, it starts this chain reaction of parts you need to compliment this part and that part. Can't go dumping 300+whp on your car, and then drive on summer tires and expect to turn a good lap or grip on corner exits.

Last edited by SnapOv3st3r; 01-15-2013 at 09:37 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SnapOv3st3r For This Useful Post:
cf6mech (01-16-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #111
OmarGC
My FR-S has 5 gears

Drives: FRS/280z/Tundra
Thanked 1,065 Times in 572 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Knowing the right people is everything... no need for 20k

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

2JZ - 6870 - stock block - 1000whp?

Instagram: 2jzus
OmarGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #112
SnapOv3st3r

^Again, not the topic and kind of common sense to know you can save money by buying used parts and doing labor yourself. In the end you get what you paid for.