follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 10-04-2021, 06:50 PM   #80991
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Warning, car talk/rant in RT, I'm not going to make a thread in the general forum for this crap lol...

Ok. So I bring my car to get an alignment, and when I get it home, I noticed scratches all over the guage cluster lense. These are pretty bad, like I should definitely have noticed before if they were there. I call the shop up and the manager puts his technician on who says he just needed to press the button to get the odometer reading, but never touched the lense. I'm not going to call him a liar without some evidence, but I seriously cannot imagine a world where I wouldn't have already replaced the lens if it was this bad. I CAN imagine a tech looking for a button sticking through the lense by running his hand across it and 'forgetting' he did it, considering my OFT is mounted over the odometer buttons if he's never been in an FRS before.

Idk what to do at this point. Going to be driving along distance this week, and this is going to be annoying me the whole way. Maybe I just leave them a negative review and never go back there.
run on down to the auto parts store-- they should have a maguiar's plastic polish that should help, as well as a good coat of your favorite wax. i mean, nothing's going to get rid of scratches that deep, but a polish/wax on the lense might be enough to minimize it if you've got to look at it for the next week.
humfrz (10-05-2021), Spuds (10-04-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 07:12 PM   #80992
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tried to find a 2022 Taco TRD to order... the dealer tells me they don't know when they will be in AND you cannot even order it or a previous model due to supply issues.

Quote:
Idk what to do at this point. Going to be driving along distance this week, and this is going to be annoying me the whole way. Maybe I just leave them a negative review and never go back there.

Fix it yourself, they aren't going to do shit for you. I'd recommend the little adams SPTA kit. https://www.amazon.com/SPTA-Cordless...3389212&sr=8-5

It's amazing how handy that little tool is for cleaning things up.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kiske For This Useful Post:
humfrz (10-05-2021), soundman98 (10-04-2021), Spuds (10-04-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 08:22 PM   #80993
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,400 Times in 6,129 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
run on down to the auto parts store-- they should have a maguiar's plastic polish that should help, as well as a good coat of your favorite wax. i mean, nothing's going to get rid of scratches that deep, but a polish/wax on the lense might be enough to minimize it if you've got to look at it for the next week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiske View Post
Tried to find a 2022 Taco TRD to order... the dealer tells me they don't know when they will be in AND you cannot even order it or a previous model due to supply issues.

Fix it yourself, they aren't going to do shit for you. I'd recommend the little adams SPTA kit. https://www.amazon.com/SPTA-Cordless...3389212&sr=8-5

It's amazing how handy that little tool is for cleaning things up.

Oh, I was always going to fix it myself. Just pissed off.

Used Meguiar's 205 with a 3" light cutting pad, followed by the same polish with finishing pad. Then just clean it with Stoner's Invisible Glass and a glasses cloth. Actually looks better than it did before the scratches...
Attached Images

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-04-2021), humfrz (10-05-2021), NoHaveMSG (10-05-2021), soundman98 (10-04-2021), Stephen W. (10-06-2021), Ultramaroon (10-04-2021), x808drifter (10-05-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 08:54 PM   #80994
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
So far, they are pretty much as advertised. I do go around before the storms come and clean off any leafs that gather on top. They especially gather in the inward 90° parts. I walk around with a pole with a web brush. So far I'm happy.
My experience is based on a Father that owned a roof and gutter company, and I cleaned a lot of gutters with/without guards in my youth, not the product itself but my answer is....

They work about as well as @Sapphireho describes. For the most part it keeps stuff out of your gutters but it doesn't keep stuff off the top of your gutters. If you have a lot of trees, it now piles up on top and needs to be cleaned off which is easier, and sometimes storms will cause it.

Also, a heavy downpour will overrun most of these types of gutter guards, particularly if you have a lot of roof area, or your roof is steep.

Most come with a lifetime warranty that basically covers gutter cleaning if they stop up.

Personally, I have standard gutters on my house, and a company that comes out and cleans them 3 times a year for $100 per trip. My house is 3 stories tall in the front, and I have about 200ft of gutter that gets cleaned. Never have an issue. To add the guards to my house was estimated at $3,000 the one time I had my gutters replaced so the break even point for me would be 10 years.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Spuds (10-04-2021), Ultramaroon (10-04-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 10:13 PM   #80995
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiske View Post
good luck. reddit just had a guy that was looking for a few months, and was just ecstatic to find a used '20 sr5 with 6k miles on it...

not sure if you're aware, but toyota doesn't do 'orders'. they just simply build and ship. what each dealer gets, they get. some dealers are willing to work with customers and will dealer trade for what other dealers got that's more preferable to the customer. but in this market, anything and everything is selling faster than they can unload it off the truck. so there's barely anything anymore to even trade for.

the 2 toyota dealers near me, they've got 20 used cars on the lot and 10 new cars. spread out enough so it looks like something... and all of that inventory doesn't last more than a week or two.
Old 10-04-2021, 11:13 PM   #80996
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,795 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD001 View Post
I presume that you're back to actually squeezing "your" squeezes at the local supermart?
Still no kissing on the neck (because we are still wearing masks) but a gentle squeeze on the mid back is OK (as long as it's not too low - ).
Old 10-04-2021, 11:25 PM   #80997
Sapphireho
Pressure fried

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,204 Times in 8,592 Posts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
My experience is based on a Father that owned a roof and gutter company, and I cleaned a lot of gutters with/without guards in my youth, not the product itself but my answer is....

They work about as well as @Sapphireho describes. For the most part it keeps stuff out of your gutters but it doesn't keep stuff off the top of your gutters. If you have a lot of trees, it now piles up on top and needs to be cleaned off which is easier, and sometimes storms will cause it.

Also, a heavy downpour will overrun most of these types of gutter guards, particularly if you have a lot of roof area, or your roof is steep.

Most come with a lifetime warranty that basically covers gutter cleaning if they stop up.

Personally, I have standard gutters on my house, and a company that comes out and cleans them 3 times a year for $100 per trip. My house is 3 stories tall in the front, and I have about 200ft of gutter that gets cleaned. Never have an issue. To add the guards to my house was estimated at $3,000 the one time I had my gutters replaced so the break even point for me would be 10 years.

I don't have gutter guards on my gutters, I have this kind of gutter.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-05-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 12:43 AM   #80998
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,795 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Quote:
Oh, I was always going to fix it myself. Just pissed off.

Used Meguiar's 205 with a 3" light cutting pad, followed by the same polish with finishing pad. Then just clean it with Stoner's Invisible Glass and a glasses cloth. Actually looks better than it did before the scratches...
See, it buffed out -
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Spuds (10-05-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 01:12 AM   #80999
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,317 Times in 4,120 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Do those things really work that well? Like zero service?
Gutter guards? Yes for our use.
The first installment we had were some sort of plastic which lasted for 30? odd years until a heavy hail storm pieced the guards in so many places it wasn't funny. The same hail storm damaged something like 45,000 cars. The insurance paid for new guards which are aluminum. What ever dust and foliage gets through is fine enough for rain to wash away.

Name:  IMG_0312.JPG
Views: 218
Size:  293.7 KB
Name:  IMG_0318.JPG
Views: 218
Size:  314.8 KB

The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (10-05-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 01:15 AM   #81000
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
I don't have gutter guards on my gutters, I have this kind of gutter.
That's an interesting design I haven't seen before.

Old 10-05-2021, 02:09 AM   #81001
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Funny, scary, f*cking ridiculous.

The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
pope (10-05-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 02:59 AM   #81002
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,466 Times in 3,205 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Warning, car talk/rant in RT, I'm not going to make a thread in the general forum for this crap lol...

Ok. So I bring my car to get an alignment, and when I get it home, I noticed scratches all over the guage cluster lense. These are pretty bad, like I should definitely have noticed before if they were there. I call the shop up and the manager puts his technician on who says he just needed to press the button to get the odometer reading, but never touched the lense. I'm not going to call him a liar without some evidence, but I seriously cannot imagine a world where I wouldn't have already replaced the lens if it was this bad. I CAN imagine a tech looking for a button sticking through the lense by running his hand across it and 'forgetting' he did it, considering my OFT is mounted over the odometer buttons if he's never been in an FRS before.

Something similar happened to me with a Subaru service a couple years back. Can't recall why I brought the car in but I noticed when I got home that there was a scratch just like those on the right side of the lens.

I'm guessing for me what happened was that the tech was a point-and-reader and decided to use a pen or something to point at my odometer reading and then fucked up and scratched the window.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
The Following User Says Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
Spuds (10-05-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 05:47 AM   #81003
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
Thus far for my new job I've had to do 21 different 'training' courses and had to create 4 different accounts for said training. This does not include the mandatory training course for the DoD/Army. I recall, there are 5 of those.
Let me guess.
Cyber Aware
AUP
Derivative
Anti Terror
whatever that one is about threat awareness
some other ones I forgot.

If you need to call AESD please let me know how shit our call tree is.
Hell, it's so broken you might get misrouted to me.
20ish calls a night. ALL from CONUS
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
Spuds (10-05-2021), weederr33 (10-05-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 07:23 AM   #81004
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,921 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
Let me guess.
Cyber Aware
AUP
Derivative
Anti Terror
whatever that one is about threat awareness
some other ones I forgot.

If you need to call AESD please let me know how shit our call tree is.
Hell, it's so broken you might get misrouted to me.
20ish calls a night. ALL from CONUS
Yep. And a handful of others. Though half of these 'trainings' are slide shows you scan through real quick and say you completed them with no quiz or anything lol. Oh and we started classes in person with the troops so YAY! But that's ok cuz next month we get assigned to our individual companies to command.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
Spuds (10-05-2021), x808drifter (10-06-2021)
Closed Thread

Tags
aching balls, ass or gtfo, germanystrikesback, guff approved, human resources, i don't wanna go to prom, i lurk, i participated, i read this thread, i'm so gay, ichi has crabs, ichi is in denial, imanage can't manage, in god we thrust, me worry?, member berries, never forget, no politics, nothing for you!!!, nsfp, omg i can't catch up! :(, poo on my chest, post #696 review on ichi, sapphireho sucks!, specialk watches you post, special_k is a lurker, tcoat is as tcoat does, tcoat is dead, tcoat is jesus, tcoat is risen, tcoat returns, tcoat rules, tig ol bitties, tits or gtfo, trackmyfarts, tylerlieberman is a cuck, wubba lubba dub dubs!!!, y u do dis