follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 07-25-2021, 03:23 AM   #127
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
A good home inspector is a rare thing.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (07-27-2021), Spuds (07-25-2021), Ultramaroon (07-27-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 08:12 AM   #128
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLE5 View Post
A good home inspector is a rare thing.

Yep, bought 3 houses in the past 10 years, The inspector has sucked every time.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
Spuds (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 10:23 AM   #129
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
My experience with "home inspectors" has been similar to my experience with Microsoft customer "support;" the information they provide is essentially correct, but not useful nor indicative of what the actual problems may actually be.

The real estate "industry" has spawned a few sub-industries in the thirty-five years I've been buying houses... not that I've bought that many (four, to be exact). Used to be... a realtor showed you the house, a bank approved a mortgage, and a lawyer made sure the deed was clear and all the paperwork was in order.

Now... "Home inspectors" are touted as being an absolute necessity. I've always had a friend who was a builder look at properties for me (and, at my insistence, paid him for doing so) to point out any possible issues, rather than some inexperienced "trained" "home inspector" who checks off a standard form, kind of like those "120-point inspections" that dealerships sort of do, kind of, sometimes. I used a home inspector on our current house when I bought it back in 2000, and it was a waste of money. He missed some very obvious issues, and made a big deal out of stuff that wasn't.

The other sub-industry that has sprung up that drives me nuts is the "staging" industry... you pay somebody thousands of dollars to "stage" your house with certain furnishings in order to make it more appealing to prospective purchasers.. and possibly hide certain flaws. As a purchaser, I'd like to either see the house empty of contents, warts and all, so I can formulate my own ideas for the future (and see any cosmetic or structural deficiencies that need addressing), or, if that's not possible, see it as it's being lived in, so I can see how the previous owners cared for it. "Staging" is like putting on a tuxedo t-shirt. I hate it. It just smacks of dishonesty. I mean... do you want a wonderful, kind, caring wife, or an actress who will appear to be one until you marry her?

/curmudgeon mode
Dadhawk (07-25-2021), p1l0t (07-27-2021), Spuds (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 11:38 AM   #130
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
To the last point, staging is requisite these days because the majority of people have no vision.

By the same token, everyone wants everything new, so these hackjob house flippers come in, tick all the boxes of what the average wants(granite counters, grey paint, stainless appliances), while hiding disasters behind the wall. Lipstick on a pig.
But the industry of flipping exists because no one can visualize doing the work themselves anymore.

I routinely have to physically hang light fixtures for homeowners for them to see how the height will look because holding a tape measure up to show where it lands isn't good enough..

Home inspectors, I always tell people, are a liability thing like major medical insurance. If the house isn't bolted down(actually seen this), it gives the homeowner some recourse against someone who gave the house a clean bill of health, besides chasing down the previous owner.
p1l0t (07-27-2021), Spuds (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 12:50 PM   #131
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
We saw benefit from inspection of our last house. Clear negligence (they wouldn't change f***ing light bulbs so half the rooms had no light; terribly wired house or just dead bulbs / lazy owners?). Rotting front porch. Fridge (smaller one but still 2'x2'x5.5' or so so decent size) under the stairs on a 16ga (or maybe even 18ga) extension cord (he climbed over shit for us to see, that closet was STUFFED). Horribly neglected jacuzzi in the master bath absolutely FULL of mold and sludge. He had a good list to work with, and between us, our realtor, and the inspector, we had a list of things we weren't sure about. Group effort.

Yet he couldn't inspect the roof, and that was a failure we had immediately - lost a section 3x, third time we replaced it (~12 years old at that point, installed wrong.) I don't hold that against him. Tiny lots and this place is silly with 10' ceilings all three floors. He told us up front that was a limitation of his equipment and insurance. These days maybe you'd use a drone to get a view at least.

It cost us ~0.05% of the purchase price. We got ten times that in concessions because they didn't want to bother (rather than replace bulbs to demonstrate working circuits, they just "waah but don't wanna this is unreasonable").
Doesn't always work out that way, but given the kind of crap people try to pull...
p1l0t (07-27-2021), soundman98 (07-25-2021), Spuds (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 01:39 PM   #132
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Home inspectors are indeed useless, except for getting concessions out of lazy sellers.

However, they did go up on the roof and take a look around, which I hate doing.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:38 PM   #133
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
As a real estate broker for about 10 years, I represented several hundred buyers purchasing homes and I always recommended a home inspection by a certified home inspector, even new construction.

However, I would suggest to the buyer what items on an inspection report, he/she should ask the seller to "fix" or give compensation for and what items should just be put on a DIY list for the buyer.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (07-27-2021), soundman98 (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 03:40 PM   #134
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
The biggest things found on my inspection was septic needs pump and a few missing shingles in roof.

I put as addendum on contract. I ended up getting a new roof as the current one was 15 years and they went through their home insurance.

If things work out I'll close this week, if not next week I'll be on the hunt again.
Old 07-27-2021, 05:03 AM   #135
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Note: In this part of the country, the "selling agent" (selling office) is the agent/office representing the buyer.

WAT

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 05:10 AM   #136
p1l0t

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
My experience with "home inspectors" has been similar to my experience with Microsoft customer "support;" the information they provide is essentially correct, but not useful nor indicative of what the actual problems may actually be.

The real estate "industry" has spawned a few sub-industries in the thirty-five years I've been buying houses... not that I've bought that many (four, to be exact). Used to be... a realtor showed you the house, a bank approved a mortgage, and a lawyer made sure the deed was clear and all the paperwork was in order.

Now... "Home inspectors" are touted as being an absolute necessity. I've always had a friend who was a builder look at properties for me (and, at my insistence, paid him for doing so) to point out any possible issues, rather than some inexperienced "trained" "home inspector" who checks off a standard form, kind of like those "120-point inspections" that dealerships sort of do, kind of, sometimes. I used a home inspector on our current house when I bought it back in 2000, and it was a waste of money. He missed some very obvious issues, and made a big deal out of stuff that wasn't.

The other sub-industry that has sprung up that drives me nuts is the "staging" industry... you pay somebody thousands of dollars to "stage" your house with certain furnishings in order to make it more appealing to prospective purchasers.. and possibly hide certain flaws. As a purchaser, I'd like to either see the house empty of contents, warts and all, so I can formulate my own ideas for the future (and see any cosmetic or structural deficiencies that need addressing), or, if that's not possible, see it as it's being lived in, so I can see how the previous owners cared for it. "Staging" is like putting on a tuxedo t-shirt. I hate it. It just smacks of dishonesty. I mean... do you want a wonderful, kind, caring wife, or an actress who will appear to be one until you marry her?

/curmudgeon mode
Yeah when I was selling my rental house GFCI outlets in the kitchen and railings were a huge deal but he didn't seem to care the mudroom was slightly sunken. I mean the buyer was using an FHA loan, and when I bought the house my inspector said it was no big deal still "structurally sound."

The Following User Says Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 05:23 AM   #137
p1l0t

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
To the last point, staging is requisite these days because the majority of people have no vision.

By the same token, everyone wants everything new, so these hackjob house flippers come in, tick all the boxes of what the average wants(granite counters, grey paint, stainless appliances), while hiding disasters behind the wall. Lipstick on a pig.
But the industry of flipping exists because no one can visualize doing the work themselves anymore.

I routinely have to physically hang light fixtures for homeowners for them to see how the height will look because holding a tape measure up to show where it lands isn't good enough..

Home inspectors, I always tell people, are a liability thing like major medical insurance. If the house isn't bolted down(actually seen this), it gives the homeowner some recourse against someone who gave the house a clean bill of health, besides chasing down the previous owner.
It's definitely an industry of too many hands in the pot and profits largely on human laziness. I actually don't mind profiting on laziness, because let's be honest that's the only reason we even have money is for the stuff we can't or won't do ourselves. The too many hands in the pot really grinds my gears though... I sold my house for almost double what I paid for it. By the time I paid all the closing costs (and I agreed to pay the buyer's closing costs too because it was still the best offer with the government's (FHA AKA your and my tax dollars that also raises home prices lol)), when you consider what I put into it over the years, and then when they tax me on the "profit" I made which won't count the closing costs I paid (probably but I'll check)... I'll be lucky to break even. You can make all the money you want, you just can't keep any of it. And then we wonder why these dummy corporations exist to buy things to write off... but I'm thankful for them too because that's who I work for...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-27-2021), MuseChaser (07-27-2021), soundman98 (07-27-2021), Wally86 (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 02:49 PM   #138
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
WAT

WAT = ??

Old 07-27-2021, 03:03 PM   #139
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
It's definitely an industry of too many hands in the pot and profits largely on human laziness. I actually don't mind profiting on laziness, because let's be honest that's the only reason we even have money is for the stuff we can't or won't do ourselves. The too many hands in the pot really grinds my gears though... I sold my house for almost double what I paid for it. By the time I paid all the closing costs (and I agreed to pay the buyer's closing costs too because it was still the best offer with the government's (FHA AKA your and my tax dollars that also raises home prices lol)), when you consider what I put into it over the years, and then when they tax me on the "profit" I made which won't count the closing costs I paid (probably but I'll check)... I'll be lucky to break even. You can make all the money you want, you just can't keep any of it. And then we wonder why these dummy corporations exist to buy things to write off... but I'm thankful for them too because that's who I work for...

Oh, you would be pissed if you read up on how real estate investment works. You apparently get tax deductions on depreciation per year, even if your house goes up in value. But that's only if you don't use it as your own primary residence.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 03:53 PM   #140
humfrz

Quote:

Well, it doesn't have to be that way (at least not in the state of Washington). A buyer and seller can draw up a purchase and sale contract on the back of an envelope, the buyer encloses $1.00 for earnest money, they go down to the county seat, funds are transferred between the buyer and seller, the title is transferred and recorded by the county - done deal!

The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (07-27-2021)