follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 04-21-2021, 06:21 PM   #141
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
The 370Z is 30,090 with a 3.7 liter V6 and you really believe a twin turbo 3.0 liter V6 will increase the price by 14,000? No way. Mid 30's starting price is logical for a base model.
And new sheet metal, and new interior, new wheels, etc.

I'm going to take an article from Car and Driver, more seriously than an article from "Motor 1" that was EXPLICITY in their "rumors" section. https://www.motor1.com/news/496848/2...-z-specs-leak/

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...n-400z-leaked/

Again, still not sure while all the fanbois thought a twin-turbo V6 was only going to be a few thousand more than a BRZ.

That said, if it actually shows up at the price with an interior that doesn't feel like it's out of a Versa, I'll be first in line.
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:45 PM   #142
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
And new sheet metal, and new interior, new wheels, etc.

I'm going to take an article from Car and Driver, more seriously than an article from "Motor 1" that was EXPLICITY in their "rumors" section. https://www.motor1.com/news/496848/2...-z-specs-leak/

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...n-400z-leaked/

Again, still not sure while all the fanbois thought a twin-turbo V6 was only going to be a few thousand more than a BRZ.

That said, if it actually shows up at the price with an interior that doesn't feel like it's out of a Versa, I'll be first in line.

Let's make a bet for $50 that it'll start in the 30's? People seem to forget that when the Z came back as the 350Z and 370Z, Nissan was always trying to compete with Ford and its Mustang for bang for buck. Nissan learned that taking the Z upmarket(300ZX) was an epic fail. I can't be the only one here old enough to remember all of this.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:11 PM   #143
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Let's make a bet for $50 that it'll start in the 30's? People seem to forget that when the Z came back as the 350Z and 370Z, Nissan was always trying to compete with Ford and its Mustang for bang for buck. Nissan learned that taking the Z upmarket(300ZX) was an epic fail. I can't be the only one here old enough to remember all of this.
I remember that, but they were trying to compete with the 3000GT, MK4 Supra and RX7 that all got more expensive and that all priced themselves out of the market eventually.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:23 PM   #144
WorldRallyB
Performance Ricer

Drives: 19 WRX, 19 ND2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
For the sake of the people that like the 400Z, i hope you're right but it doesn't seem feasible.

The supra 2.0 (last gen beemer parts pin ) msrp is 43k
The Q60 red sport that shares the Z motor starts at 60k

I could see it sneaking into the upper 30s if they pull a model 3* or corvette C8*
*doesnt exist on dealer lots ever
** no one else on the planet wants the base base model
***call us and beg for it, maybe we'll build you one and send it to you in 12-18 weeks
WorldRallyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 04:23 PM   #145
OkieSnuffBox

Quote:
I don't gamble. I leave that for the poors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz View Post
I remember that, but they were trying to compete with the 3000GT, MK4 Supra and RX7 that all got more expensive and that all priced themselves out of the market eventually.
They didn't "price" themselves out of the market. The Japanese economy got super hot in the mid-90s so on the strength of the YEN the cars became crazy expensive for the time a '96 300ZX TT, was something like $46k in '96 dollars.

That's well over $70k adjusted for inflation.
Old 04-22-2021, 05:09 PM   #146
Transport3r

Drives: -
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't gamble. I leave that for the poors.

They didn't "price" themselves out of the market. The Japanese economy got super hot in the mid-90s so on the strength of the YEN the cars became crazy expensive for the time a '96 300ZX TT, was something like $46k in '96 dollars.

Confirmed, 400z will cost the same as a ZXTT because that was the last Z to have turbos.

400Z starting at $72,999.99
VLSD option is 5K
A real LSD is still not available.
Transport3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:45 PM   #147
OkieSnuffBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transport3r View Post
Confirmed, 400z will cost the same as a ZXTT because that was the last Z to have turbos.

400Z starting at $72,999.99
VLSD option is 5K
A real LSD is still not available.
I forgot what pinecones this community is filled with.

Thanks for the reminder.
Old 04-22-2021, 06:52 PM   #148
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
They might just TAKE sales that Supra left for them by not meeting expectations of:
1. Legit Japanese sports car (i.e. not a BMW)
2. Manual transmission at least available
3. Semi-reasonable $$$ (more like $40-45k vs. $50k+)

While the new Z isn't for me, it might just work out for them...
It would win my vote. It certainly looks better than the Supra by far. At least I think it looks better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.

Last edited by KR-S; 04-22-2021 at 07:05 PM.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:08 PM   #149
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

The what and the how..
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 11:54 AM   #150
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSideFRS View Post
New BRZ looks like a$$, the new Z looks sweet.

400 hp vs 228? Not even close in terms of performance. I would get the Z any day over the new BRZ. BRZ/86 fanboys will keep arguing that their cars are the best thing that ever happened to them, but this platform is so underpowered and unreliable
No fanboy here, I bought the 16 BRZ in auto as a commuter that gets 33mpg with header and tune mods. I have a long highway commute. Is the car fast no, but it’s fast enough, just get the revs up. Also it’s cheap and dead reliable for the last 5 years. This car is about feel, it’s light and toss-able like a go-kart, best car for going 50mph on twisty roads. I have an 04 WRX, 18 Acura RDX and a 17IS300 on my driveway as well and all can pull on this car all day long, until you hit some turns. But none are as much fun. So that Z for sure will pull harder and that is fun as well, but the handling will suffer or what I call the feel from the weight.

Neither is wrong and both are fun, it’s just a personal choice about what you want out of the car.

Another example is people buy old air cooled porsches for the feel, as they are slow compared to any new Porsche. In fact I know many that have driven both and those that like straight line speed and comfort hate the old ones. Those that like the light go-kart feel like the air cooled. Both are fun and it’s hard to get both in one package at a reasonable price.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 12:00 PM   #151
Transport3r

Drives: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
No fanboy here, I bought the 16 BRZ in auto as a commuter that gets 33mpg with header and tune mods. I have a long highway commute. Is the car fast no, but it’s fast enough, just get the revs up. Also it’s cheap and dead reliable for the last 5 years. This car is about feel, it’s light and toss-able like a go-kart, best car for going 50mph on twisty roads. I have an 04 WRX, 18 Acura RDX and a 17IS300 on my driveway as well and all can pull on this car all day long, until you hit some turns. But none are as much fun. So that Z for sure will pull harder and that is fun as well, but the handling will suffer or what I call the feel from the weight.

Neither is wrong and both are fun, it’s just a personal choice about what you want out of the car.

Another example is people buy old air cooled porsches for the feel, as they are slow compared to any new Porsche. In fact I know many that have driven both and those that like straight line speed and comfort hate the old ones. Those that like the light go-kart feel like the air cooled. Both are fun and it’s hard to get both in one package at a reasonable price.

This. Sports car vs performance car. Feel vs numbers. The BRZ is a better sports car, the Z is a better performance car. Not everyone appreciates or even notices the feel of a sports car, and that’s okay. That’s also why numbers rule for most people. It’s easy to report on numbers and compare brochures and instrumented tests.
Transport3r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Transport3r For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (04-30-2021), Willpower (04-23-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 12:10 PM   #152
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Quote:
This. Sports car vs performance car. Feel vs numbers. The BRZ is a better sports car, the Z is a better performance car. Not everyone appreciates or even notices the feel of a sports car, and that’s okay. That’s also why numbers rule for most people. It’s easy to report on numbers and compare brochures and instrumented tests.
Exactly.

I have a neighbor that between him and his wife they own a camaro mustang, charger and a challenger. To me they are all very similar, but he loves muscle and would not like my BRZ and I don’t blame him one bit. On a twisty road I take my BRZ anyway. Straight line I want his challenger.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post:
Willpower (04-23-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 02:44 PM   #153
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Eh, momentum vs brute is more accurate, both are respectively a performance and sports car.

Knuckle draggers just happen to be more like brutes. Gymnast vs Gym dude bro enthusiast.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
Transport3r (04-23-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 04:56 PM   #154
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
Exactly.

I have a neighbor that between him and his wife they own a camaro mustang, charger and a challenger. To me they are all very similar, but he loves muscle and would not like my BRZ and I don’t blame him one bit. On a twisty road I take my BRZ anyway. Straight line I want his challenger.

With turbo I like getting the best of both worlds rather than settling for a chassis that's loved more for its power.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote