follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 10-28-2019, 11:52 PM   #141
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I made an attempt to emulate the PD with an Arduino and CANbus shield but was only able to get the car to respond to it if the car was up to temp and stationary. Not sure how you got around the coolant temp requirement. Is it possible to turn PD on/off while the car is moving? I was so excited when I was able to emulate PD but bummed when I noticed I could only turn it on when the car was stopped. It wasn’t practical to have to get it up to temp and then come to a stop to turn it on.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:02 AM   #142
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Drives: EFF JAY
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
It wasn’t practical to have to get it up to temp and then come to a stop to turn it on.
I don't understand. Isn't the pedal dance used when on track. And wouldn't you have time to prepare with a warm car?
iLuveKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:23 AM   #143
geraldjust

Drives: MR2, Sliver BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
I made an attempt to emulate the PD with an Arduino and CANbus shield but was only able to get the car to respond to it if the car was up to temp and stationary. Not sure how you got around the coolant temp requirement. Is it possible to turn PD on/off while the car is moving? I was so excited when I was able to emulate PD but bummed when I noticed I could only turn it on when the car was stopped. It wasn’t practical to have to get it up to temp and then come to a stop to turn it on.
well the way i got it to work was with a little bit of magic haha. Well at the end of the day i think you could try to reverse engineer the box i made. Although your free to do so, i did spend alot of work getting it to the point is is now. Not sure about the speed things though. Speed is not something that can be faked. Because its coming from the ABS module itself. and it handles the speed signal so not to sure. let me test it out. But i did overcome the RPM/temp limitation though.

But if you think about it this way. your car if off. completely stopped. The moment you start your car. my PD doesn't care about temp or RPM so it engages. If your out in the track and you stall your car, you don't have to switch it to the off position then to the on then to crank. You typically just Crank again. and if your moving while cranking means your car never really goes to fully off. so PD would still be active. Only time i would worry about is if the car completely shuts off for some reason as your still moving. But that would mean there might be something wrong with your car.
ermax (10-29-2019), Tristor (10-29-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 12:28 AM   #144
ermax

Since beastronix is no more, what’s the alternative?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuveKetchup View Post
I don't understand. Isn't the pedal dance used when on track. And wouldn't you have time to prepare with a warm car?

Technically PD is not made for track use. It’s a test mode used for diagnostics that just so happens to be useful on track. It’s not a Contra Code that someone stumbled on one day. It’s all documented in the service manual. The service manual explains how to enable this mode with the PD or with Techstream via canbus.

Anyways, I use it frequently on and off track. TC is way to aggressive. Hell I’ll downshift to 3rd gear to make a pass on the interstate and I’m rewarded with a flashing TC light and a car running up on my ass. If I need to make a U-turn in heavy traffic it’s a death wish without doing a long hold first. I’d much rather have a toggle switch for this. Also there are plenty of times I’m coming up on a fun turn and do a long hold right before reaching the turn and some times I will turn it right back on when done.

In my experience I could only emulate Techsteam’s test mode while stationary but turning it back off could be done while moving. So at least if it started raining I didn’t have to stop the car to turn TC back on.

Last edited by ermax; 10-29-2019 at 12:40 AM.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:31 AM   #145
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Push start cars typically require 2 button presses to restart. At least mine does. First press turns everything off, 2nd press engages the starter
Old 10-29-2019, 12:37 AM   #146
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldjust View Post
well the way i got it to work was with a little bit of magic haha. Well at the end of the day i think you could try to reverse engineer the box i made. Although your free to do so, i did spend alot of work getting it to the point is is now. Not sure about the speed things though. Speed is not something that can be faked. Because its coming from the ABS module itself. and it handles the speed signal so not to sure. let me test it out. But i did overcome the RPM/temp limitation though.

But if you think about it this way. your car if off. completely stopped. The moment you start your car. my PD doesn't care about temp or RPM so it engages. If your out in the track and you stall your car, you don't have to switch it to the off position then to the on then to crank. You typically just Crank again. and if your moving while cranking means your car never really goes to fully off. so PD would still be active. Only time i would worry about is if the car completely shuts off for some reason as your still moving. But that would mean there might be something wrong with your car.

I’m a software dev so I fully respect the time it takes to develop stuff like this and you deserve to be paid. I would never try to rip off your work. When I said I wasn’t sure how you got around the temp issue I wasn’t expecting you to reveal your magic. It was more of a back pat to you for pulling it off.

I’d love to hear back if it works while moving. At first I thought I had a bug in my code causing it to not work randomly but then realized it wasn’t random at all but simply related to speed. I did all the dev in the driveway while not moving. Hahaha
Old 10-29-2019, 12:42 AM   #147
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
Push start cars typically require 2 button presses to restart. At least mine does. First press turns everything off, 2nd press engages the starter

Speaking of push start, can you still push start a MT with push start? Hehe
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Clutch Dog (11-07-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 12:43 AM   #148
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Quote:
Technically PD is not made for track use. It’s a test mode used for diagnostics that just so happens to be useful on track. It’s not a contra code that someone stumbled on one day. It’s all documented in the service manual. The service manual explains how to enable this mode with the PD or with Techstream via canbus.
Understood but this thread is under the "Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting" subforum.
Quote:
Anyways, I use it frequently on and off track. TC is way to aggressive. Hell I’ll downshift to 3rd gear to make a pass on the interstate and I’m rewarded with a flashing TC light and a car running up on my ass. If I need to make a U-turn in heavy traffic it’s a death wish without doing a long hold first. I’d much rather have a toggle switch for this. Also there are plenty of times I’m coming up on a fun turn and do a long hold right before reaching the turn and some times I will turn it right back on when done.
Right. And wouldn't you do all this when the engine is warm?

I agree with you. I just don't see the logic or the inconvenience of waiting for a warm engine to enable the pedal dance. Would you drive the car to a point where TC is activated on a cold engine?
Old 10-29-2019, 12:53 AM   #149
ermax

Quote:
Understood but this thread is under the "Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting" subforum.

Right. And wouldn't you do all this when the car is warm?

I agree with you. I just don't see the logic or the inconvenience of waiting for a warm engine to enable the pedal dance. Would you drive the car to a point where TC is activated on a cold engine?

I’m not really concerned about the temperature requirement. I’m not going to drive the car aggressively while it’s cold anyways. My concern is the requirement to be stationary. I agree this isn’t an issue at the track but I’d love to be able to turn it off while on the road and moving. I generally have the aids enabled on public roads but when I want them off it’s almost always while I’m already moving.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:01 AM   #150
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Quote:
I’m not really concerned about the temperature requirement. I’m not going to drive the car aggressively while it’s cold anyways. My concern is the requirement to be stationary. I agree this isn’t an issue at the track but I’d love to be able to turn it off while on the road and moving. I generally have the aids enabled on public roads but when I want them off it’s almost always while I’m already moving.
ah gotcha.. I read your post as a temp issue. My mistake.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:02 AM   #151
geraldjust

Drives: MR2, Sliver BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
I’m a software dev so I fully respect the time it takes to develop stuff like this and you deserve to be paid. I would never try to rip off your work. When I said I wasn’t sure how you got around the temp issue I wasn’t expecting you to reveal your magic. It was more of a back pat to you for pulling it off.

I’d love to hear back if it works while moving. At first I thought I had a bug in my code causing it to not work randomly but then realized it wasn’t random at all but simply related to speed. I did all the dev in the driveway while not moving. Hahaha
Band news :/ does not work while moving. And there is no way to override this. I'm afraid that that's the final frontier. I did find also how to disable the ABS part. But il test this a bit further.

But as for PD being in there. Under techstream description says that it disables VSC and TC if no switch is available. So im sure it was somewhat intended but not "officially" there haha.

@soundman98

really? if my car is on, and i stall it (i did once or twice lol) the car is in the "on" position, so all i have to do is press the clutch and power button and starter kicks in. it never "shuts down" or i never have a need to go into a completely off state.

but to ermax point sometimes in cold weather it can take a long time for the car to get to "operating temp" so that PD could work. Even here, it take at least 10 minutes to be able to get to that temp.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:23 AM   #152
Code Monkey

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
When instructing, I often do not have the luxury to get the car completely up to temp for my session, especially when the temps dip below 50 F. In those cases, you start a car cold with the pedal dance already activated, and short shift for the first lap or two until everything is up to temp. It would be super inconvenient if I had to pit in to activate the pedal dance, at this point I can just do it manually.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Code Monkey For This Useful Post:
Pat (10-29-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 11:53 AM   #153
gcranston

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited DGM
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
When instructing, I often do not have the luxury to get the car completely up to temp for my session, especially when the temps dip below 50 F. In those cases, you start a car cold with the pedal dance already activated, and short shift for the first lap or two until everything is up to temp. It would be super inconvenient if I had to pit in to activate the pedal dance, at this point I can just do it manually.

It can even happen in your own car. In fact it did happen to me this season. Rainy day in April. Barely above 40F for the first session. Scrambling a bit to get coffee and food in me and didn't start warming up the car soon enough to get the PD done. I went out anyway figuring if it was a problem I'd pit and the car would be warm by then. Well... at the end of the front straight at Palmer, the braking for T1 is rising up a hill, then flattening out. EBD freaked out, the pedal went hard, I lost all braking feel, swapped ends, and came to a stop just off the track staring out my driver's window at the front end of my buddy's car. He'd seen the whole thing happen and wisely just parked his car rather than try to squeeze through. I pitted, did the PD, and no problems the rest of the event.

I just don't want to have to worry about it anymore, and the other goodies (fans, belt chimes, TPMS) are just a bonus.
gcranston is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gcranston For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (10-29-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 01:15 PM   #154
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I have had multiple instances of almost not being able to get my car up to temp with it idling 10 minutes or more in the pit between sessions.

Preordered today
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote