follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 05-20-2019, 08:53 PM   #15
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ac View Post
Your old tires are basically warn out.
Repeat, go back and get the other two for safe driving. Mixed tires are much less predictable.

The question I usually ask young drivers is, Do you want to stop and turn or get going fast?

Put the good tires on the front and put the old on the back.
I know it will have uneven wear, but you did not rotate before.
this is a very very bad idea. putting the better traction tires on the front means that the front tires will have traction in situations that the rears won't.

tires without traction inherently want to be in front of tires that have traction.

just promise me to save the trunk lid for me if you try this.
new2subaru (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 09:45 PM   #16
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
this is a very very bad idea. putting the better traction tires on the front means that the front tires will have traction in situations that the rears won't.

tires without traction inherently want to be in front of tires that have traction.

just promise me to save the trunk lid for me if you try this.
This makes sense to me. By having the old tires on the front you're creating understeer = safer.

That said, get two more tires if you can.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:04 PM   #17
EzyBreezy

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ (ZC6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I updated the first post to include a youtube video of the initial issue that raised a red flag for me soon as I was heading home.

Hey folks, I want to thank everyone who put suggestions or provided some insight on the issue. So today I was heading home from work and traffic was moving at 60 mph in all lanes it was pretty scary with the rear end fishing around I normally feel in control but not today. I tried uploading a video of what initially prompted me to the issue at hand to demonstrate that its not a power slide or loose grip its like the rear is actively counter steering or wobbling around. I did catch a rubbing sound at the points of traction control activating.

Where I am currently at in this.
I called and spoke with the same person who assisted me with the sale and he invited me back over to see if we could resolve it. He set me up with one of the more experienced tire technicians and we tried to get on the road but given that they where closing up in 2 hours and traffic being heavy not able to reach the speed of issue 50+ we ended up heading back to the garage. He reassured me that the alignment was flawless and I must be having a failing traction control/ABS module or the front tire being the problem. I gave some push back and explained my bald tires had no such issue like this if anything they where probably safer. He pulled me to the side and just let me know that the Kumho tires are shit and that I need new front tires. He suggested Michelin or Goodyear I explained the situation of only two being in stock and my situation with inspection.

Resolution
Sales agent offered to get me a full refund and a price discount with a re-alignment on a set of Goodyear tires listed cost of $170 a pop. I am expecting a call tomorrow from them when tires arrive and Ill try and see if all issues are resolved.
EzyBreezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:44 PM   #18
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
That rear right camber is something i would bitch about.
I would tell them to match the left rear.

4 fucking hours and they couldn't get this shit right?
Nothing pisses me off more than alignment mechanics that can't fucking make thing equal especially when they have a computerized alignment rig.
how, with the non adjustable camber on stock suspension?

stupid question but did you check tire pressures?
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:00 PM   #19
soundman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzyBreezy View Post
He pulled me to the side and just let me know that the Kumho tires are shit and that I need new front tires. He suggested Michelin or Goodyear I explained the situation of only two being in stock and my situation with inspection.

Resolution
Sales agent offered to get me a full refund and a price discount with a re-alignment on a set of Goodyear tires listed cost of $170 a pop. I am expecting a call tomorrow from them when tires arrive and Ill try and see if all issues are resolved.
obsessive tire comment incoming:

look, i get that tires aren't always the most exciting thing to investigate to a lot of people, but for me, tires are the one thing that allows the car to turn, and to stop. poor tires do those things worse. terrible tires are a hazard.

whenever i look for new tires, it's a process. i always start on tirerack, reading their comparisons, as well as the reviews and their ratings for all tires within that category. most importantly, it's best to go into it with zero brand preference.

here's the category the kumo's fit into.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...=true&filter=y

they're not crap, but not exactly great.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:01 AM   #20
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
They're pretty good, wife's Mazda3 is on these and they are fine. You should be totally stable.

I'm still trying to figure this out from first post:
One of the managers comes up and informs me that he believes prior person to have worked on my car broke or didn't properly install my lug nut and he wouldn't be able to quote me for the fix.

I don't know what's going on here, but it seems to me this shop f'd up your car somehow... Are you missing a lug nut now? It still should be fine but of course you would need to get that fixed. Was it a "lug nut" or something else that according to them somebody else broke?

Here's what Tire Rack had to say after testing these tires:
Kumho Ecsta 4X II (Ultra High Performance All-Season, 245/40R18 97W)
What We Liked: The sportiest feel of the group with best-in-test wet and dry grip
What We'd Improve: Bump up winter weather performance and improve the ride over sharp impacts
Conclusion: In this instance, new does equal better

New problem, them blaming somebody else for breaking something, and then blaming tires that are actually pretty good makes me very suspicious...
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:20 AM   #21
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
There's nothing wrong with Kumho tires, but you should not be running different tires with different compounds and wear. Go to a reputable local shop to have them work on your car if you are neither capable nor desire to work on it yourself. Tires are a critical safety part, as it's the only thing holding you to the ground.

To me it sounds like this shop fucked up your car, and they also advised you badly in a way that lead to severe performance degradation. Find a reputable local shop. Stop going to shitty chain tire stores, they hire anyone and most of their employees have no real understanding of what they are doing day to day.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:39 AM   #22
EzyBreezy

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ (ZC6)
Garage
@Decep I haven't given a shot at lowering tire pressure I did increase it to 40 psi all around from the initial 30 psi.

@soundman98 awesome share man that definitely comes in handy. I share the same sentiment under a planned expense this was just me trying to pass this inspection and keep it moving.

@ZDan I've come to this same shop in the past for tires on a different car did a great job on that car. I do agree that it wasn't cool to blame someone else either especially when the tires are the OEM ones that nobody has touched, but I did appreciate them at least notifying me of the issue. When I had this issue with the unstable rear end I removed the tires and inspected the lug nuts and the studs on the car but looked fine to me. To be honest I feel like my alignment is not right or something was loosened by accident maybe. I'm just playing along as long as its constructive progress. I have high patience for this stuff lol. I just pray I don't crash tomorrow that would suck I'll put put in the slow lane.
EzyBreezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:54 AM   #23
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
You might swap tires front/rear to see if the problem changes, or goes away, or remains the same. That would tell you if the problem is the tires or not.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
Leonardo (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 05:21 AM   #24
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
You are kind of making the same mistake again. You are considering a set of "goodyears at 170 a pop". That is mostly meaningless information. Try to do some research before you spend that money. I believe you are allowed a period of time to correct failed inspection items. Look into it, don't rush and throw away money.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:14 AM   #25
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
1. New tires are a little greasy at first (mostly gone in 50 miles).

2. New full tread rears with worn out fronts will feel weird.

3. Your alignment looks fine enough. If you want to check things, check the rear toe adjusters.

4. I would not bring my car to pepboys.

5. Go to tirerack.com and buy 2 more of the Kumhos you already have on your car. They are 106 per tire. Alternatively, bitch and moan to the Pepboys guys to give you the deal they initially offered you.

6. 40 psi is too much tire pressure.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
churchx (05-22-2019), soundman98 (05-21-2019), Tristor (05-23-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 08:41 PM   #26
soundman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzyBreezy View Post
@soundman98 awesome share man that definitely comes in handy. I share the same sentiment under a planned expense this was just me trying to pass this inspection and keep it moving.

shortcuts never pay off. they always cost more in the future.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:00 PM   #27
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Good point Andrew @ RCE, new tires often feel "squirmy" for lack of better word.

If it doesn't go away this might be something you'd want to take to a competent mechanic, have him test drive with you in the vehicle and see if he notices it.
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:54 PM   #28
steel86gt

Drives: 2018 Steel Toyota 86 GT Black
I agree with what has been said. My tires felt squirmy when I first bought the car and it did take atleast 50-100 miles of driving for them to wear in and feel somewhat stable.

Last edited by steel86gt; 05-22-2019 at 01:24 PM.
steel86gt is offline   Reply With Quote